RE: [Hammock Camping] Hammocks in Shenandoah NP?

  • Steve Joiner
    Message 1 of 4 , May 4, 2006
      Hi, Steve. I hammocked in SNP in '03. I vaguely remember discussing this
      with whoever I obtained my permit from (ranger?). Maybe someone else has
      more recent info..

      Steve

      _____

      Message 2 of 4 , May 6, 2006
        Heard from the Park. There are currently no restrictions on hammock
        use in the backcountry. As long as no tree damage is seen it should
        remain permotted.

        Steve

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Joiner" <joiners@...>

        Message 3 of 4 , May 6, 2006
          Steve,

          I have hiked the entire length of the AT in Shenandoah NP. This park is
          much easier on hammock campers than Smoky Mountains NP.

          Each backcountry hiker or party of hikers must have a registration tag,
          which can be obtained at the north or south end of the park. The
          registration is free.

          The rules for camping are fairly straightforward:

          - No campfires except in the fire grates in at the shelters.
          - No camping near the shelters except at designated tenting spots
          - No camping within a certain number of feet of the trail or road or
          stream - It was not many feet - Maybe 100 feet... but it is on the tag
          from the registration.
          - There are billions of places where a hammock can be strung up in quiet
          and peaceful surroundings.

          Rick