Hammocks in Shenandoah NP?

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 4 , May 4 3:18 PM
      Does anyone know if there are any restrictions on hammock use in the
      Shenandoah NP bsckcountry? It's not mentioned in the NP Web site. I
      called the park and after an interminable journey through the recorded
      options finally got to leave a message (unanswered so far). I would
      like to be certain before hammocking there!

      Thanks,

      Steve
    • Steve Joiner
      Message 2 of 4 , May 4 7:22 PM
        Hi, Steve. I hammocked in SNP in '03. I vaguely remember discussing this
        with whoever I obtained my permit from (ranger?). Maybe someone else has
        more recent info..

        Steve

        _____

        Message 3 of 4 , May 6 5:23 AM
          Heard from the Park. There are currently no restrictions on hammock
          use in the backcountry. As long as no tree damage is seen it should
          remain permotted.

          Steve

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Joiner" <joiners@...>

          Message 4 of 4 , May 6 8:19 AM
            Steve,

            I have hiked the entire length of the AT in Shenandoah NP. This park is
            much easier on hammock campers than Smoky Mountains NP.

            Each backcountry hiker or party of hikers must have a registration tag,
            which can be obtained at the north or south end of the park. The
            registration is free.

            The rules for camping are fairly straightforward:

            - No campfires except in the fire grates in at the shelters.
            - No camping near the shelters except at designated tenting spots
            - No camping within a certain number of feet of the trail or road or
            stream - It was not many feet - Maybe 100 feet... but it is on the tag
            from the registration.
            - There are billions of places where a hammock can be strung up in quiet
            and peaceful surroundings.

            Rick