Re: Brands of Hammocks

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2 9:48 PM
      I have an HH Expedition and it is a fine hammock. I think "Bear" in
      Fl uses the Mosquito (not sure if it's the Expedition) and really
      likes it. I would also look at the Speer for the simple reason that
      it makes a great chair and works better with the Pea Pod or sleeping
      bags pulled over it. As for the rain fly, you can order a HH Safari
      rian fly with any modle and it will just cost what the differance is,
      not the cost of a seperate fly. But the zippered bug neeting would
      still give the nod to the Mosquito. In the end, you will just have to
      decide what is most important for your style of camping.

      Coy Boy

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Crockett" <gary@...>

      Message 2 of 5 , May 3 9:44 AM
        Yes, Coy. It's me that likes the Mosquito (all versions, but especially the Expedition).

        One reason I like it is that you can flip it over and use it like a Speer -- i.e. with a PeaPod.

        It just seems the most versatile and comfortable hammock to me.

        The HH has compactness, integration, and light weight going for it.

        Bear
      • chcoa
        Message 3 of 5 , May 6 11:24 PM
          Hi,

          I have an HH and a Travel Hammock (top entry style). I do like the
          enclosed feeling the HH provides but I have to say I prefer the top
          entry style over the HH mainly for the ease of entry and exit and for
          insulating. I have not made a bug net yet but I don't see that being
          too big a problem.

          That probably doesn't help much but just thought I'd toss in my 2
          cents.

          jamie in az

          wrote:

          > Getting ready for a week long backpacking trip through the Wind River
          > Range in Wyoming.
          >
          > Have narrowed my choice down to a Hennessy Expedition , or, slightly
          > leaning towards, Mosquito Expedition as I like the full length zipper
          > attaching the netting to the hammock, the larger rain fly, and the
          > double hammock with pocket.
          >
          > Any help making the decision, i.e. free advise??
          >
          > Thanks!

        • boardmanmw
          Message 4 of 5 , May 7 11:07 AM
            wrote:

            > Getting ready for a week long backpacking trip through the Wind River
            > Range in Wyoming.
            >
            > Have narrowed my choice down to a Hennessy Expedition , or, slightly
            > leaning towards, Mosquito Expedition as I like the full length zipper
            > attaching the netting to the hammock, the larger rain fly, and the
            > double hammock with pocket.
            >
            > Any help making the decision, i.e. free advise??
            >
            > Thanks!

            Gary,

            I have an HE and love it, but even though I sleep fairly warm, I get
            cold on the bottom of my HE at anything below about 50F. And this
            with a Target blue pad under my bag. Just too much cold air blowing
            by. Haven't tried a Mosquito, but the double layer fabric looks really
            easy to stuff a better pad in. Anyway, I'd suggest bottom warmth is
            the critical factor if you're going up to the Wind high country. Gets
            cold at 10k feet, even in the summer.
            Looking forward to hearing about the trip.