[Hammock Camping] Re: neck support

  • jwj32542
    Message 1 of 15 , May 2, 2006

      > I have the same experience as Lenny. I do use my clothes bag as a
      > pillow to read, but when sleeping find that the hammock angle is
      just
      > the right elevation for my head when I am sleeping on my side, as I
      do
      > almost all the time.

      I find that the angle is fine, but supporting my head just on the back
      of my head and shoulders puts too much stress on my neck, and gives me
      a headache in the morning. Using a neck pillow supports my neck, but
      keeps my head at the same angle (the back of my head still lays on the
      hammock)...this relieves the tension and I don't get a headache.

      Jeff
      Message 2 of 15 , May 3, 2006
        jwj32542 <jwj32542@...> wrote: .
        .

        .
        I find that the angle is fine, but supporting my head just on the back
        of my head and shoulders puts too much stress on my neck, and gives me
        a headache in the morning. Using a neck pillow supports my neck, but
        keeps my head at the same angle (the back of my head still lays on the
        hammock)...this relieves the tension and I don't get a headache.

        Jeff

        ### yep... i get the same neck strain, headache if i don`t use a neck pillow.
        ...tim

        tim garner

      • Scott Schroeder
        Message 3 of 15 , May 3, 2006

          > I find that the angle is fine, but supporting my head just on the back
          > of my head and shoulders puts too much stress on my neck, and gives me
          > a headache in the morning. Using a neck pillow supports my neck, but
          > keeps my head at the same angle (the back of my head still lays on the
          > hammock)...this relieves the tension and I don't get a headache.
          >
          > Jeff
          >
          > ### yep... i get the same neck strain, headache if i don`t use a neck
          > pillow.
          > ...tim

          exactly, that's why I brought it up.
          I think if I have a full pillow it's too much.
          I just need some support under the neck and not the head and I'm very
          comfortable.
          Thanks for the replies on this one.
          Scott

        • Rosaleen Sullivan
          Message 4 of 15 , May 4, 2006
            This is another case of doing what works for each of us.

            I have arthritis and frequent spasms in my neck. A small pillow helps me maintain the curvature just right for me. I sometimes use a jacket, but prefer a cut down kid's arm floatie or one of those blow-up U-shaped neck pillows. (Kid's arm floatie: find one of the kind that has 3 sections, cut off the non-inflatable side without cutting into the inflatable sides.)

            Rosaleen

            (PS-Yeah, I know, I'm a mess. So what?)

            Subject: Re:

            Message 5 of 15 , May 4, 2006
              <rosaleen43@...> wrote:

              > This is another case of doing what works for each of us.

              I agree. What I usually like is something that stabilizes my head so I
              can relax my neck muscles while I sleep, particularly when sleeping on
              my back. That calls for something that is somewhat lumpy, where I can
              adjust the lumps to stabilize my head in a comfortable way. I use a
              stuff sack that matches the the bottom side insulation I happen to be
              using and move the socks and other items appropriately to get the shape
              I want. For instance I use a bigger stuff sack if my head extends off
              of the padding I am using and the padding is relatively thick,
              especially in cooler weather where I may also need some insulation for
              my head. I often put this stuff sack inside my sleeping bag's stuff
              sack because I like its texture better and it keeps that stuff sack
              handy. By habit, I stuff my sleeping bag first in the mornings to get
              it out of the way while I dress in my hammock.

              Dave
              Message 6 of 15 , May 7, 2006
                jamie... i`m planing to buy a set of the flex-air dual pillows to
                try out. it seems that the dual chamber will serve more like a neck
                pillow.
                my main questions are, 1)how well does it hold air through the night?
                2)how long will one pillow average lasting, because they come 3 to
                a pack & there cheap, & not intended to last forever.
                3) what do they feel like aganst your skin?
                i`ll look forward to your report. in the mean time, i`ll probably
                go ahead & buy a set to try out myself. if they arn`t that great, i`m
                not out of much cash. thanks...tim
              • chcoa
                Message 7 of 15 , May 7, 2006
                  Hi Tim,

                  I can give some input on your questions but bear in mind I've slept
                  on the pillows only one full night so far.

                  1)how well does it hold air through the night?

                  I used two on my inital night trail. One was the dual chambered.
                  Both held air fine through the night (7 hrs). I had also inflated
                  both pillows about three times previously for picutres, experiments,
                  pre-testing trails etc..

                  2)how long will one pillow average lasting, because they come 3 to
                  > a pack & there cheap, & not intended to last forever.

                  They "seam" like they can be used several times with care.

                  > 3) what do they feel like aganst your skin?

                  They feel soft to the touch but I found actually sleeping on them
                  was not as comfy as I thought it would be. FlexAir suggests
                  wrapping them in a shirt or something, I think this is probably a
                  good idea.

                  Best of luck.
                  jamie
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 7, 2006
                    thanks jamie... i`ll look forward to further testing. in the mean
                    time, my 5+ oz thermarest neck pillow is doing a great job.
                    ...tim
                  • Bill in Houston
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 7, 2006
                      <rosaleen43@...> wrote:
                      > I sometimes use a jacket, but prefer a cut down kid's arm

                      Eek!

                      > floatie

                      Ah, floatie, gotcha... :-)

                      Bill in Houston