Brands of Hammocks

  • Gary Crockett
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2, 2006
      Getting ready for a week long backpacking trip through the Wind River
      Range in Wyoming.

      Have narrowed my choice down to a Hennessy Expedition , or, slightly
      leaning towards, Mosquito Expedition as I like the full length zipper
      attaching the netting to the hammock, the larger rain fly, and the
      double hammock with pocket.

      Any help making the decision, i.e. free advise??

      Thanks!
    • Coy
      Message 2 of 5 , May 2, 2006
        I have an HH Expedition and it is a fine hammock. I think "Bear" in
        Fl uses the Mosquito (not sure if it's the Expedition) and really
        likes it. I would also look at the Speer for the simple reason that
        it makes a great chair and works better with the Pea Pod or sleeping
        bags pulled over it. As for the rain fly, you can order a HH Safari
        rian fly with any modle and it will just cost what the differance is,
        not the cost of a seperate fly. But the zippered bug neeting would
        still give the nod to the Mosquito. In the end, you will just have to
        decide what is most important for your style of camping.

        Coy Boy

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Crockett" <gary@...>

        Message 3 of 5 , May 3, 2006
          Yes, Coy. It's me that likes the Mosquito (all versions, but especially the Expedition).

          One reason I like it is that you can flip it over and use it like a Speer -- i.e. with a PeaPod.

          It just seems the most versatile and comfortable hammock to me.

          The HH has compactness, integration, and light weight going for it.

          Bear
        • chcoa
          Message 4 of 5 , May 6, 2006
            Hi,

            I have an HH and a Travel Hammock (top entry style). I do like the
            enclosed feeling the HH provides but I have to say I prefer the top
            entry style over the HH mainly for the ease of entry and exit and for
            insulating. I have not made a bug net yet but I don't see that being
            too big a problem.

            That probably doesn't help much but just thought I'd toss in my 2
            cents.

            jamie in az

            wrote:

            > Getting ready for a week long backpacking trip through the Wind River
            > Range in Wyoming.
            >
            > Have narrowed my choice down to a Hennessy Expedition , or, slightly
            > leaning towards, Mosquito Expedition as I like the full length zipper
            > attaching the netting to the hammock, the larger rain fly, and the
            > double hammock with pocket.
            >
            > Any help making the decision, i.e. free advise??
            >
            > Thanks!

          • boardmanmw
            Message 5 of 5 , May 7, 2006
              wrote:

              > Getting ready for a week long backpacking trip through the Wind River
              > Range in Wyoming.
              >
              > Have narrowed my choice down to a Hennessy Expedition , or, slightly
              > leaning towards, Mosquito Expedition as I like the full length zipper
              > attaching the netting to the hammock, the larger rain fly, and the
              > double hammock with pocket.
              >
              > Any help making the decision, i.e. free advise??
              >
              > Thanks!

              Gary,

              I have an HE and love it, but even though I sleep fairly warm, I get
              cold on the bottom of my HE at anything below about 50F. And this
              with a Target blue pad under my bag. Just too much cold air blowing
              by. Haven't tried a Mosquito, but the double layer fabric looks really
              easy to stuff a better pad in. Anyway, I'd suggest bottom warmth is
              the critical factor if you're going up to the Wind high country. Gets
              cold at 10k feet, even in the summer.
              Looking forward to hearing about the trip.