Re: neck support

  • Lenny Nichols
    Message 1 of 15 , May 2, 2006
      I ALWAYS need a pillow of some sort when I sleep in anything other than a
      hammock. However, I've found that the curve of the hammock suits me just
      right. Any kind of pillow in a hammock is too much for me.

      Lenny Nichols, PMP®

      Message 2 of 15 , May 2, 2006
        I have the same experience as Lenny. I do use my clothes bag as a
        pillow to read, but when sleeping find that the hammock angle is just
        the right elevation for my head when I am sleeping on my side, as I do
        almost all the time.

        Rick

        Lenny Nichols wrote:

        > I ALWAYS need a pillow of some sort when I sleep in anything other than a
        > hammock. However, I've found that the curve of the hammock suits me just
        > right. Any kind of pillow in a hammock is too much for me.

      • jwj32542
        Message 3 of 15 , May 2, 2006

          > I have the same experience as Lenny. I do use my clothes bag as a
          > pillow to read, but when sleeping find that the hammock angle is
          just
          > the right elevation for my head when I am sleeping on my side, as I
          do
          > almost all the time.

          I find that the angle is fine, but supporting my head just on the back
          of my head and shoulders puts too much stress on my neck, and gives me
          a headache in the morning. Using a neck pillow supports my neck, but
          keeps my head at the same angle (the back of my head still lays on the
          hammock)...this relieves the tension and I don't get a headache.

          Jeff
          Message 4 of 15 , May 3, 2006
            jwj32542 <jwj32542@...> wrote: .
            .

            .
            I find that the angle is fine, but supporting my head just on the back
            of my head and shoulders puts too much stress on my neck, and gives me
            a headache in the morning. Using a neck pillow supports my neck, but
            keeps my head at the same angle (the back of my head still lays on the
            hammock)...this relieves the tension and I don't get a headache.

            Jeff

            ### yep... i get the same neck strain, headache if i don`t use a neck pillow.
            ...tim

            tim garner

          • Scott Schroeder
            Message 5 of 15 , May 3, 2006

              > I find that the angle is fine, but supporting my head just on the back
              > of my head and shoulders puts too much stress on my neck, and gives me
              > a headache in the morning. Using a neck pillow supports my neck, but
              > keeps my head at the same angle (the back of my head still lays on the
              > hammock)...this relieves the tension and I don't get a headache.
              >
              > Jeff
              >
              > ### yep... i get the same neck strain, headache if i don`t use a neck
              > pillow.
              > ...tim

              exactly, that's why I brought it up.
              I think if I have a full pillow it's too much.
              I just need some support under the neck and not the head and I'm very
              comfortable.
              Thanks for the replies on this one.
              Scott

            • Rosaleen Sullivan
              Message 6 of 15 , May 4, 2006
                This is another case of doing what works for each of us.

                I have arthritis and frequent spasms in my neck. A small pillow helps me maintain the curvature just right for me. I sometimes use a jacket, but prefer a cut down kid's arm floatie or one of those blow-up U-shaped neck pillows. (Kid's arm floatie: find one of the kind that has 3 sections, cut off the non-inflatable side without cutting into the inflatable sides.)

                Rosaleen

                (PS-Yeah, I know, I'm a mess. So what?)

                Subject: Re:

                Message 7 of 15 , May 4, 2006
                  <rosaleen43@...> wrote:

                  > This is another case of doing what works for each of us.

                  I agree. What I usually like is something that stabilizes my head so I
                  can relax my neck muscles while I sleep, particularly when sleeping on
                  my back. That calls for something that is somewhat lumpy, where I can
                  adjust the lumps to stabilize my head in a comfortable way. I use a
                  stuff sack that matches the the bottom side insulation I happen to be
                  using and move the socks and other items appropriately to get the shape
                  I want. For instance I use a bigger stuff sack if my head extends off
                  of the padding I am using and the padding is relatively thick,
                  especially in cooler weather where I may also need some insulation for
                  my head. I often put this stuff sack inside my sleeping bag's stuff
                  sack because I like its texture better and it keeps that stuff sack
                  handy. By habit, I stuff my sleeping bag first in the mornings to get
                  it out of the way while I dress in my hammock.

                  Dave
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 7, 2006
                    jamie... i`m planing to buy a set of the flex-air dual pillows to
                    try out. it seems that the dual chamber will serve more like a neck
                    pillow.
                    my main questions are, 1)how well does it hold air through the night?
                    2)how long will one pillow average lasting, because they come 3 to
                    a pack & there cheap, & not intended to last forever.
                    3) what do they feel like aganst your skin?
                    i`ll look forward to your report. in the mean time, i`ll probably
                    go ahead & buy a set to try out myself. if they arn`t that great, i`m
                    not out of much cash. thanks...tim
                  • chcoa
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 7, 2006
                      Hi Tim,

                      I can give some input on your questions but bear in mind I've slept
                      on the pillows only one full night so far.

                      1)how well does it hold air through the night?

                      I used two on my inital night trail. One was the dual chambered.
                      Both held air fine through the night (7 hrs). I had also inflated
                      both pillows about three times previously for picutres, experiments,
                      pre-testing trails etc..

                      2)how long will one pillow average lasting, because they come 3 to
                      > a pack & there cheap, & not intended to last forever.

                      They "seam" like they can be used several times with care.

                      > 3) what do they feel like aganst your skin?

                      They feel soft to the touch but I found actually sleeping on them
                      was not as comfy as I thought it would be. FlexAir suggests
                      wrapping them in a shirt or something, I think this is probably a
                      good idea.

                      Best of luck.
                      jamie
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 7, 2006
                        thanks jamie... i`ll look forward to further testing. in the mean
                        time, my 5+ oz thermarest neck pillow is doing a great job.
                        ...tim
                      • Bill in Houston
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 7, 2006
                          <rosaleen43@...> wrote:
                          > I sometimes use a jacket, but prefer a cut down kid's arm

                          Eek!

                          > floatie

                          Ah, floatie, gotcha... :-)

                          Bill in Houston