Re: Wildlife Encounters

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 15 , May 2, 2006
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dlfrost_1" <dlfrost@...>
      wrote:

      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Coy" <starnescr@> wrote:
      > > BTW Cody and I will be
      > > doing a hike somewhere in early June. I'll post details later
      on
      > when
      > > i know when and where but we want something like the Smokies.
      If
      > > there, I was thinking of starting at New Found Gap and hiking
      south
      > > but i dont want to stay at shelters inside the park. They want
      you
      > > stay inside the shelters. I have not looked yet but i know
      there
      > are
      > > some side trails with campsits. If I can work out a route that
      > > allows us to hop off the AT for each night I might try that.
      > Shooting
      > > for 3 nights right now.
      >
      > I might be able to provide some info on hammock sites/options, so
      > post tentative schedule when you have one. How many miles a day
      > maximum do you plan on?
      >
      > Doug Frost

      Great, I am still in the thinking stage but will firm up plans
      soon. Any suggestions would be great. Right now I am just thinking
      of parking somewhere so we can end up back at the same vehicle.
      this could be Newfound Gap or one of the Campgrounds on either side
      ie Cosby, Deep Creek, Elkmont etc. As for mpd, I am slowly getting
      back in shape. I was probably in the worst shape of my life when I
      hiked with Dave and Wayne back in January and it made for some tough
      climbs. I was coming off a sore knee that had me parked for about a
      month. But, I still have no desire to do high miles. I want to take
      it easy and feel good at the end of the day. Therefore, I am also
      considering some way to split up (on purpose) and let cody and his
      friend hike extra miles. This could mean a different campsite for
      on night but I want us at the same campsite at least 1 night and
      preferably 2 or all 3. With the up and down terrain I will probably
      try to hike no more than 10 miles in a day. This may be hard to
      plan due to the spacing of the campsites inside the park and is one
      reason I wouldnt mind something outside the park where campsites are
      more flexible. Another section like Standing Indian would be great
      but I am not sure where this is possible further south. The GSMNP is
      good because there are lots of loops which makes it easier to park
      and do a loop. Of couse if someone like you are Dave can make it it
      might be easier to do a hike one way and park at both ends.

      Coy Boy
      Message 2 of 15 , May 3, 2006

        Of couse if someone like you are Dave can make it it
        > might be easier to do a hike one way and park at both ends.
        >
        > Coy Boy

        Coy,

        When are you going?

        Dave
      • Coy
        Message 3 of 15 , May 4, 2006

          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Coy" <starnescr@> wrote:
          > >
          > Of couse if someone like you are Dave can make it it
          > > might be easier to do a hike one way and park at both ends.
          > >
          > > Coy Boy
          > >

          > Coy,
          >
          > When are you going?
          >
          > Dave

          I'm aiming for May 29th - June 1st (Monday - Thursday) I'll have to
          be back in time to make it to work Friday June 2nd. So Monday and
          Thursday may be limited to a half day of hiking. Tuesday and
          Wednesday would be full days.

          Coy Boy