Re: Wildlife Encounters

  • dlfrost_1
    Message 1 of 15 , May 1, 2006
      > BTW Cody and I will be
      > doing a hike somewhere in early June. I'll post details later on
      when
      > i know when and where but we want something like the Smokies. If
      > there, I was thinking of starting at New Found Gap and hiking south
      > but i dont want to stay at shelters inside the park. They want you
      > stay inside the shelters. I have not looked yet but i know there
      are
      > some side trails with campsits. If I can work out a route that
      > allows us to hop off the AT for each night I might try that.
      Shooting
      > for 3 nights right now.

      I might be able to provide some info on hammock sites/options, so
      post tentative schedule when you have one. How many miles a day
      maximum do you plan on?

      Doug Frost
    • Coy
      Message 2 of 15 , May 2, 2006
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dlfrost_1" <dlfrost@...>
        wrote:

        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Coy" <starnescr@> wrote:
        > > BTW Cody and I will be
        > > doing a hike somewhere in early June. I'll post details later
        on
        > when
        > > i know when and where but we want something like the Smokies.
        If
        > > there, I was thinking of starting at New Found Gap and hiking
        south
        > > but i dont want to stay at shelters inside the park. They want
        you
        > > stay inside the shelters. I have not looked yet but i know
        there
        > are
        > > some side trails with campsits. If I can work out a route that
        > > allows us to hop off the AT for each night I might try that.
        > Shooting
        > > for 3 nights right now.
        >
        > I might be able to provide some info on hammock sites/options, so
        > post tentative schedule when you have one. How many miles a day
        > maximum do you plan on?
        >
        > Doug Frost

        Great, I am still in the thinking stage but will firm up plans
        soon. Any suggestions would be great. Right now I am just thinking
        of parking somewhere so we can end up back at the same vehicle.
        this could be Newfound Gap or one of the Campgrounds on either side
        ie Cosby, Deep Creek, Elkmont etc. As for mpd, I am slowly getting
        back in shape. I was probably in the worst shape of my life when I
        hiked with Dave and Wayne back in January and it made for some tough
        climbs. I was coming off a sore knee that had me parked for about a
        month. But, I still have no desire to do high miles. I want to take
        it easy and feel good at the end of the day. Therefore, I am also
        considering some way to split up (on purpose) and let cody and his
        friend hike extra miles. This could mean a different campsite for
        on night but I want us at the same campsite at least 1 night and
        preferably 2 or all 3. With the up and down terrain I will probably
        try to hike no more than 10 miles in a day. This may be hard to
        plan due to the spacing of the campsites inside the park and is one
        reason I wouldnt mind something outside the park where campsites are
        more flexible. Another section like Standing Indian would be great
        but I am not sure where this is possible further south. The GSMNP is
        good because there are lots of loops which makes it easier to park
        and do a loop. Of couse if someone like you are Dave can make it it
        might be easier to do a hike one way and park at both ends.

        Coy Boy
        Message 3 of 15 , May 3, 2006

          Of couse if someone like you are Dave can make it it
          > might be easier to do a hike one way and park at both ends.
          >
          > Coy Boy

          Coy,

          When are you going?

          Dave
        • Coy
          Message 4 of 15 , May 4, 2006

            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Coy" <starnescr@> wrote:
            > >
            > Of couse if someone like you are Dave can make it it
            > > might be easier to do a hike one way and park at both ends.
            > >
            > > Coy Boy
            > >

            > Coy,
            >
            > When are you going?
            >
            > Dave

            I'm aiming for May 29th - June 1st (Monday - Thursday) I'll have to
            be back in time to make it to work Friday June 2nd. So Monday and
            Thursday may be limited to a half day of hiking. Tuesday and
            Wednesday would be full days.

            Coy Boy