Rain getting me wet

  • Bill in Houston
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1 1:18 PM
      I have a question. Here's the setup. I have a double layer hammock
      made with two layers of ordinary ripstop. Between the layers I put my
      CCF pad. My tarp is not big enough to prevent rain from contacting my
      hammock in all conditions. Or maybe my drip stoppers are not 100%
      effective. However it happens, the ends of my hammock get pretty wet.

      So here's the question. As my hammock gets wet on the ends, will the
      water run down the fabric, gather in the bottom layer of fabric and run
      beneath my CCF pad, leaving me dry? Or will the water kind of run down
      on the inside too, leaving me in a puddle on my pad?

      Bill in Houston
    • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
      Message 2 of 3 , May 7 4:54 AM
        > So here's the question. As my hammock gets wet on the ends, will
        > the
        > water run down the fabric, gather in the bottom layer of fabric
        > and run
        > beneath my CCF pad, leaving me dry? Or will the water kind of run
        > down
        > on the inside too, leaving me in a puddle on my pad?

        Bill,

        It's been my experience that as long as the water does not blow inside
        the hammock you should stay dry as long as you are on a pad. The
        water I've had blow up onto the underside of the hammock and travel
        down my straps ran down the material to the lowest point (my butt)and
        dripped off to the ground. After aborting a canoe trip on the third
        rainy day because of this problem (and having no pad) I did some
        sprinkler testing and now always carry a pad just for this reason.
        Hope this helps.

        Brian
        T-BACK
      • Bill in Houston
        Message 3 of 3 , May 7 6:35 PM
          Brian,
          Thank you very very much. That definitely helps.
          Bill