Re: neck support

  • Bill in Houston
    Message 1 of 15 , May 1, 2006
      I use an Aerobed travel pillow. It is awesome, but is sort of heavy.
      I do not know the weight.

      Also, I think that a wine bag or coffee bag from inside those
      wine/coffee dispensing boxes might be a pretty good starting place.
      Maybe one of those stuffed inside of a supplex stuff sack?

      Bill in Houston

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Schroeder"
      <schrochem@...> wrote:

      > I find laying a hammock very comfortable except for my neck. I need to
      > have something under it or it starts to hurt. Besides rolled up
      > clothes, what do yall use?
      > I was thinking it also will be most comfortable if I have somethign
      > under my next but not under my head and have the head end lower than
      > the foot end. I have always hung it that way but I am seeing that if
      > my head is propped up too much it gets a forward bend that isn't as
      > comfortable.
      >
      > Scott

    • dlfrost_1
      Message 2 of 15 , May 1, 2006
        <schrochem@...> wrote:
        > I find laying a hammock very comfortable except for my neck. I need
        > have something under it or it starts to hurt. Besides rolled up
        > clothes, what do yall use?

        Another possiblity: foam-bead travel pillows. Target sells a
        smallish, squareish one in the auto accessory section. The stretchy
        fabric allows them to be adjustable but without that trying-to-crawl-
        out-from-underneith-you feel that inflatables have. The beads have
        insulating value, possibiliy limiting their use to cooler weather. I
        tried one out at the hammock hangout and was rather pleased.
        Downsides: bulk mainly; weight possibily.

        Doug Frost
      • Lenny Nichols
        Message 3 of 15 , May 2, 2006
          I ALWAYS need a pillow of some sort when I sleep in anything other than a
          hammock. However, I've found that the curve of the hammock suits me just
          right. Any kind of pillow in a hammock is too much for me.

          Lenny Nichols, PMP®

          Message 4 of 15 , May 2, 2006
            I have the same experience as Lenny. I do use my clothes bag as a
            pillow to read, but when sleeping find that the hammock angle is just
            the right elevation for my head when I am sleeping on my side, as I do
            almost all the time.

            Rick

            Lenny Nichols wrote:

            > I ALWAYS need a pillow of some sort when I sleep in anything other than a
            > hammock. However, I've found that the curve of the hammock suits me just
            > right. Any kind of pillow in a hammock is too much for me.

          • jwj32542
            Message 5 of 15 , May 2, 2006

              > I have the same experience as Lenny. I do use my clothes bag as a
              > pillow to read, but when sleeping find that the hammock angle is
              just
              > the right elevation for my head when I am sleeping on my side, as I
              do
              > almost all the time.

              I find that the angle is fine, but supporting my head just on the back
              of my head and shoulders puts too much stress on my neck, and gives me
              a headache in the morning. Using a neck pillow supports my neck, but
              keeps my head at the same angle (the back of my head still lays on the
              hammock)...this relieves the tension and I don't get a headache.

              Jeff
              Message 6 of 15 , May 3, 2006
                jwj32542 <jwj32542@...> wrote: .
                .

                .
                I find that the angle is fine, but supporting my head just on the back
                of my head and shoulders puts too much stress on my neck, and gives me
                a headache in the morning. Using a neck pillow supports my neck, but
                keeps my head at the same angle (the back of my head still lays on the
                hammock)...this relieves the tension and I don't get a headache.

                Jeff

                ### yep... i get the same neck strain, headache if i don`t use a neck pillow.
                ...tim

                tim garner

              • Scott Schroeder
                Message 7 of 15 , May 3, 2006

                  > I find that the angle is fine, but supporting my head just on the back
                  > of my head and shoulders puts too much stress on my neck, and gives me
                  > a headache in the morning. Using a neck pillow supports my neck, but
                  > keeps my head at the same angle (the back of my head still lays on the
                  > hammock)...this relieves the tension and I don't get a headache.
                  >
                  > Jeff
                  >
                  > ### yep... i get the same neck strain, headache if i don`t use a neck
                  > pillow.
                  > ...tim

                  exactly, that's why I brought it up.
                  I think if I have a full pillow it's too much.
                  I just need some support under the neck and not the head and I'm very
                  comfortable.
                  Thanks for the replies on this one.
                  Scott

                • Rosaleen Sullivan
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 4, 2006
                    This is another case of doing what works for each of us.

                    I have arthritis and frequent spasms in my neck. A small pillow helps me maintain the curvature just right for me. I sometimes use a jacket, but prefer a cut down kid's arm floatie or one of those blow-up U-shaped neck pillows. (Kid's arm floatie: find one of the kind that has 3 sections, cut off the non-inflatable side without cutting into the inflatable sides.)

                    Rosaleen

                    (PS-Yeah, I know, I'm a mess. So what?)

                    Subject: Re:

                    Message 9 of 15 , May 4, 2006
                      <rosaleen43@...> wrote:

                      > This is another case of doing what works for each of us.

                      I agree. What I usually like is something that stabilizes my head so I
                      can relax my neck muscles while I sleep, particularly when sleeping on
                      my back. That calls for something that is somewhat lumpy, where I can
                      adjust the lumps to stabilize my head in a comfortable way. I use a
                      stuff sack that matches the the bottom side insulation I happen to be
                      using and move the socks and other items appropriately to get the shape
                      I want. For instance I use a bigger stuff sack if my head extends off
                      of the padding I am using and the padding is relatively thick,
                      especially in cooler weather where I may also need some insulation for
                      my head. I often put this stuff sack inside my sleeping bag's stuff
                      sack because I like its texture better and it keeps that stuff sack
                      handy. By habit, I stuff my sleeping bag first in the mornings to get
                      it out of the way while I dress in my hammock.

                      Dave
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 7, 2006
                        jamie... i`m planing to buy a set of the flex-air dual pillows to
                        try out. it seems that the dual chamber will serve more like a neck
                        pillow.
                        my main questions are, 1)how well does it hold air through the night?
                        2)how long will one pillow average lasting, because they come 3 to
                        a pack & there cheap, & not intended to last forever.
                        3) what do they feel like aganst your skin?
                        i`ll look forward to your report. in the mean time, i`ll probably
                        go ahead & buy a set to try out myself. if they arn`t that great, i`m
                        not out of much cash. thanks...tim
                      • chcoa
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 7, 2006
                          Hi Tim,

                          I can give some input on your questions but bear in mind I've slept
                          on the pillows only one full night so far.

                          1)how well does it hold air through the night?

                          I used two on my inital night trail. One was the dual chambered.
                          Both held air fine through the night (7 hrs). I had also inflated
                          both pillows about three times previously for picutres, experiments,
                          pre-testing trails etc..

                          2)how long will one pillow average lasting, because they come 3 to
                          > a pack & there cheap, & not intended to last forever.

                          They "seam" like they can be used several times with care.

                          > 3) what do they feel like aganst your skin?

                          They feel soft to the touch but I found actually sleeping on them
                          was not as comfy as I thought it would be. FlexAir suggests
                          wrapping them in a shirt or something, I think this is probably a
                          good idea.

                          Best of luck.
                          jamie
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 7, 2006
                            thanks jamie... i`ll look forward to further testing. in the mean
                            time, my 5+ oz thermarest neck pillow is doing a great job.
                            ...tim
                          • Bill in Houston
                            Message 13 of 15 , May 7, 2006
                              <rosaleen43@...> wrote:
                              > I sometimes use a jacket, but prefer a cut down kid's arm

                              Eek!

                              > floatie

                              Ah, floatie, gotcha... :-)

                              Bill in Houston