hanging my hammock question

  • linda_auburn
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2006
      I love using my hammock when I go camping, just to relax in, and would
      like to move up to hammock camping when I go backpacking. I do *not*
      like dealing with tying (and untying) knots, so I'm looking for a
      hanging system that is both adjustable and easy. The first tree straps
      I bought were a bust -
      http://www.simplyhammocks.com/products/Dreamcatcher_Hanging_Tree_Strap_37583.html.
      The little metal buckle that is supposed to be for adjusting the
      strap, broke as soon as someone sat in the hammock. Not good! So those
      are going back for a refund.

      I need something quick, easy, adjustable, and *strong*! By adjustable,
      I mean more so than just wrapping an extra time around the tree - if
      this is the only way to adjust tree straps, then the hammock may be
      either too loose or too tight, with no way to adjust in-between.

      Also, I'd like some straps (and this can be a different brand or
      set-up) that will support the weight of 3 people in the hammock. I
      know that when I go backpacking, it'll just be me in the hammock, but
      lots of times I go car camping with bunches of friends, and we pile
      two-three people in the hammock on a regular basis. So I need
      something that'll support, say, 500 lbs or more.

      So I guess what I need is one system that will support 500 lbs (for
      car camping), and another system that will support just my weight and
      packs up small and light (for backpacking). Or one system that will
      support 500 lbs *and* is small and lightweight. Any suggestions?

      Oh, and I've been looking at Byers micro-rope with the little
      adjustable bar - except for the fact that (it looks like) the rope
      itself wraps around the tree, which isn't that good for the poor tree,
      it seems like a neat little system.
      http://domsoutdoor.com/product.asp?pn=1-036226

      Thanks!!

      Linda