Re: [Hammock Camping] Intro / Hammock cloth

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30, 2006
      welcome to the group aaron. you can find nylon or polyester on the $1.00 rack at wallmart, but figuring out the exsact weight right there in the store is a guessing game, especialy when your just starting to really put your hands on the stuff. but it`s so cheap that you won`t be out of much cash if you buy 2 or 3 pices (4 yards each) of slightly differant fabrics & take them home to weigh them.
      i don`t think that ed would mind me (or someone else here) typing out the instructions for figuring the weight per sq yard. i`ll wait for a reply first. but in ed`s book "hammock camping", he lays out an easy method for doing that. of course there`s a ton of other useful info there that you`d just have to buy the book to get.
      you may have seen a recent post where rick suggests no less than 1.9 (i think) for a single layer hammock.
      you`ll find lot`s more info on hammock making at speerhammocks, or imrisk, or tothewoods. ...tim

      fin24000 <fin24000@...> wrote:
      OK to start. Hi, my name is Aaron. I live in Texas (with all the nice
      trails(lol) and I have been a member here for a bit (I have learned
      alot) and I found the group from "Backpacking Talk" group and I have
      been working on geting stuff to make my own hammock and was wanting to
      know what the best cloth to use is (cheep to) it dose not need to hold
      more then 250lb but it needs to be strong, so I was just wanting to
      know what all of you thought would be best.

      Aaron.

      tim garner

    • fin24000
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 30, 2006
        OK well I will go pick some up in a few days and tell you how it
        turns out and I am planing on a 2 layer hammock so Thanks for the
        help =).

        Aaron.

        > welcome to the group aaron. you can find nylon or polyester on the
        $1.00 rack at wallmart, but figuring out the exsact weight right
        there in the store is a guessing game, especialy when your just
        starting to really put your hands on the stuff. but it`s so cheap
        that you won`t be out of much cash if you buy 2 or 3 pices (4 yards
        each) of slightly differant fabrics & take them home to weigh them.
        > i don`t think that ed would mind me (or someone else here)
        typing out the instructions for figuring the weight per sq yard. i`ll
        wait for a reply first. but in ed`s book "hammock camping", he lays
        out an easy method for doing that. of course there`s a ton of other
        useful info there that you`d just have to buy the book to get.
        > you may have seen a recent post where rick suggests no less
        than 1.9 (i think) for a single layer hammock.
        > you`ll find lot`s more info on hammock making at speerhammocks,
        or imrisk, or tothewoods. ...tim

        > fin24000 <fin24000@...> wrote:
        > OK to start. Hi, my name is Aaron. I live in Texas (with all the
        nice
        > trails(lol) and I have been a member here for a bit (I have learned
        > alot) and I found the group from "Backpacking Talk" group and I
        have
        > been working on geting stuff to make my own hammock and was wanting
        > know what the best cloth to use is (cheep to) it dose not need to
        hold
        > more then 250lb but it needs to be strong, so I was just wanting to
        > know what all of you thought would be best.
        >
        > Aaron.

        > Camping hammock Camping food Rv camping Gsi
        outdoors Happy camper Outdoors

        Service.

        > ---------------------------------
        >

        > tim garner

      • jwj32542
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 30, 2006
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "fin24000" <fin24000@...>
          wrote:

          > OK well I will go pick some up in a few days and tell you how it
          > turns out and I am planing on a 2 layer hammock so Thanks for the
          > help =).

          You can probably use 1.1oz if you're making a two layer hammock. I
          made a single-layer hammock with it...kinda dicey. It holds me just
          fine but I don't think it'll be very durable.

          I usually use untreated ripstop nylon instead of DWR for the hammock
          body...just think it feels better, and it's much easier to find at
          Walmart. My insulation provides the wind resistance.

          I think my next down hammock will be two layers of 1.1oz for the
          body, just because I don't have any 1.9oz downproof. Should be much
          stronger than a single layer because the top layer won't have any
          horizontal seams to weaken the body.

          Jeff