Re: [Hammock Camping] neck support

  • Ralph Oborn
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 30, 2006
      On 4/30/06, Scott Schroeder <schrochem@...> wrote:

      > On 4/30/06, Shane Steinkamp <shane@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > > I find laying a hammock very comfortable except for my neck. I need to
      > > > have something under it or it starts to hurt.
      > >> Wuss.
      > >

      > I resemble that remark! :)

      Some people use half inflated water wings (kiddie flotation devices) cut
      open to lay flat.

      Ralph

      PS threaten Shane with a snowball to see him cower in a corner. :]

    • Scott Schroeder
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 30, 2006

        > Some people use half inflated water wings (kiddie flotation devices) cut
        > open to lay flat.
        >
        > Ralph
        >
        > PS threaten Shane with a snowball to see him cower in a corner. :]

        That might be a good idea, but I don't lilke the possible retaliation. :)
        I remember using a rolled up section of neat sheet one trip that worked out
        pretty good. Maybe I'll look into that.

        scott

      • jwj32542
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 30, 2006
          Stuff your rain jacket into its sleeve. If that's not big enough,
          stuff your fleece into its sleeve.
        • chcoa
          Message 4 of 9 , May 6, 2006
            I'm one of the FlexAir Inflatable pillow testers and I'm planning to
            try them out in my hammock soon. We are still in the Edit phase of
            our Initial REports so hang on a few more days and you start seeing
            some reports uploaded.

            Maybe one of the other testers has used theirs in a hammock already.

            I think they might work for you though because you can inflate to your
            desired comfort level and they are not over sized so they woudl easily
            fit in a hammock without pushing up agaist the sides. Now they might
            be slippery but I think that could be rectified.

            jamie

            I would flip it over. That worked but it would often come out.

          • MommyVeggie@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , May 7, 2006
              I haven't introduced myself yet. I've been lurking quite a while....very
              interesting group. I have a HH that I've only backyd camped in. Trail Days
              will be my first real outing.

              Anyway. I have used the Flex Air pillows tent camping and in the HH.
              Definitely get the dual chamber because you can adjust the air to your liking.
              They seem very strong as long as nothing gets close to puncture it. ( Don't wear
              earrings, LOL ) I discovered taking 2 straws is best. They are easy to
              blow up (with a staw..provided with pillow) BUT they are difficult to get all
              the air expelled unless you use 2 straws....one in each chamber at the same
              time. They are not slippery. I have a very light wt. pillow case I use with
              them for protection....made of brushed polyester in an envelope style. They
              also fit nicely in the hood of a sleeping bag. They are wonderful under
              knees....if you get that negative knee feeling in the hammock. Can't say enough
              good about them. Oh, we tried out the Clark hammocks with the pockets and
              the single chamber pillows were great for putting in the pockets to poof them
              for insulation....and supper lightwt. I wrote all of this back to the
              company for allowing me to try them.
              I love all the questions and answers from this group.....keep 'em coming.

              Mommyveggie

              Message 6 of 9 , May 7, 2006
                thanks for the great reply...

                MommyVeggie@... wrote: I haven't introduced myself yet. I've been lurking quite a while....very
                interesting group. I have a HH that I've only backyd camped in. Trail Days
                will be my first real outing.
                ### i plan to go to trail days, so mabey we`ll see you there.

                Anyway. I have used the Flex Air pillows tent camping and in the HH.
                Definitely get the dual chamber because you can adjust the air to your liking.
                They seem very strong as long as nothing gets close to puncture it. ( Don't wear
                earrings, LOL )
                ### i haven`t worn earrings in years, so that shouldn`t be a problem :~)

                I discovered taking 2 straws is best. They are easy to
                blow up (with a staw..provided with pillow) BUT they are difficult to get all
                the air expelled unless you use 2 straws....one in each chamber at the same
                time.
                ### now that`s good to know.
                They are not slippery. I have a very light wt. pillow case I use with
                them for protection....made of brushed polyester in an envelope style. They
                also fit nicely in the hood of a sleeping bag. They are wonderful under
                knees....if you get that negative knee feeling in the hammock.
                ### yep... i like to use something under my knees when i sleep on my back, & between my knees when i`m on my side.
                Can't say enough
                good about them. Oh, we tried out the Clark hammocks with the pockets and
                the single chamber pillows were great for putting in the pockets to poof them
                for insulation....and supper lightwt.
                ### now that`s interresting!!!
                I wrote all of this back to the
                company for allowing me to try them.
                I love all the questions and answers from this group.....keep 'em coming.
                NO...thank YOU ...tim

                Mommyveggie

                tim garner