Re: [Hammock Camping] neck support

  • Shane Steinkamp
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 30, 2006
      > I find laying a hammock very comfortable except for my neck. I need to
      > have something under it or it starts to hurt.

      Wuss.

      > Besides rolled up clothes, what do yall use?

      A towel, but I bought my wife one of these, and I'm thinking about picking
      one up too. It's quite good, and very light:

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9513241913

      Shane
    • Scott Schroeder
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 30, 2006
        On 4/30/06, Shane Steinkamp <shane@...> wrote:

        > > I find laying a hammock very comfortable except for my neck. I need to
        > > have something under it or it starts to hurt.
        >
        > Wuss.

        I resemble that remark! :)

        > Besides rolled up clothes, what do yall use?
        >
        > A towel, but I bought my wife one of these, and I'm thinking about picking
        > one up too. It's quite good, and very light:
        >
        > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9513241913

        I actually used one of those last weekend on my trip. It was OK, but
        sleeping with it was quite a bother. The ends would fester about my face so
        I would flip it over. That worked but it would often come out.

        Scott

      • Shane Steinkamp
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 30, 2006
          > > Wuss.
          >
          > I resemble that remark! :)

          Don't feel bad. I have that a lot too. ;)

          > I actually used one of those last weekend on my trip. It was OK, but
          > sleeping with it was quite a bother. The ends would fester about my face
          so
          > I would flip it over. That worked but it would often come out.

          Hmmm... How about one of these then?

          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Sleep%20Gear/Accessories/

          I, personally, have weird sleep habits when it comes to pillows. I'm
          happiest with a towel...

          Shane
        • Ralph Oborn
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 30, 2006
            On 4/30/06, Scott Schroeder <schrochem@...> wrote:

            > On 4/30/06, Shane Steinkamp <shane@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > > I find laying a hammock very comfortable except for my neck. I need to
            > > > have something under it or it starts to hurt.
            > >> Wuss.
            > >

            > I resemble that remark! :)

            Some people use half inflated water wings (kiddie flotation devices) cut
            open to lay flat.

            Ralph

            PS threaten Shane with a snowball to see him cower in a corner. :]

          • Scott Schroeder
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 30, 2006

              > Some people use half inflated water wings (kiddie flotation devices) cut
              > open to lay flat.
              >
              > Ralph
              >
              > PS threaten Shane with a snowball to see him cower in a corner. :]

              That might be a good idea, but I don't lilke the possible retaliation. :)
              I remember using a rolled up section of neat sheet one trip that worked out
              pretty good. Maybe I'll look into that.

              scott

            • jwj32542
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 30, 2006
                Stuff your rain jacket into its sleeve. If that's not big enough,
                stuff your fleece into its sleeve.
              • chcoa
                Message 7 of 9 , May 6, 2006
                  I'm one of the FlexAir Inflatable pillow testers and I'm planning to
                  try them out in my hammock soon. We are still in the Edit phase of
                  our Initial REports so hang on a few more days and you start seeing
                  some reports uploaded.

                  Maybe one of the other testers has used theirs in a hammock already.

                  I think they might work for you though because you can inflate to your
                  desired comfort level and they are not over sized so they woudl easily
                  fit in a hammock without pushing up agaist the sides. Now they might
                  be slippery but I think that could be rectified.

                  jamie

                • MommyVeggie@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 7, 2006
                    I haven't introduced myself yet. I've been lurking quite a while....very
                    interesting group. I have a HH that I've only backyd camped in. Trail Days
                    will be my first real outing.

                    Anyway. I have used the Flex Air pillows tent camping and in the HH.
                    Definitely get the dual chamber because you can adjust the air to your liking.
                    They seem very strong as long as nothing gets close to puncture it. ( Don't wear
                    earrings, LOL ) I discovered taking 2 straws is best. They are easy to
                    blow up (with a staw..provided with pillow) BUT they are difficult to get all
                    the air expelled unless you use 2 straws....one in each chamber at the same
                    time. They are not slippery. I have a very light wt. pillow case I use with
                    them for protection....made of brushed polyester in an envelope style. They
                    also fit nicely in the hood of a sleeping bag. They are wonderful under
                    knees....if you get that negative knee feeling in the hammock. Can't say enough
                    good about them. Oh, we tried out the Clark hammocks with the pockets and
                    the single chamber pillows were great for putting in the pockets to poof them
                    for insulation....and supper lightwt. I wrote all of this back to the
                    company for allowing me to try them.
                    I love all the questions and answers from this group.....keep 'em coming.

                    Mommyveggie

                    Message 9 of 9 , May 7, 2006
                      thanks for the great reply...

                      MommyVeggie@... wrote: I haven't introduced myself yet. I've been lurking quite a while....very
                      interesting group. I have a HH that I've only backyd camped in. Trail Days
                      will be my first real outing.
                      ### i plan to go to trail days, so mabey we`ll see you there.

                      Anyway. I have used the Flex Air pillows tent camping and in the HH.
                      Definitely get the dual chamber because you can adjust the air to your liking.
                      They seem very strong as long as nothing gets close to puncture it. ( Don't wear
                      earrings, LOL )
                      ### i haven`t worn earrings in years, so that shouldn`t be a problem :~)

                      I discovered taking 2 straws is best. They are easy to
                      blow up (with a staw..provided with pillow) BUT they are difficult to get all
                      the air expelled unless you use 2 straws....one in each chamber at the same
                      time.
                      ### now that`s good to know.
                      They are not slippery. I have a very light wt. pillow case I use with
                      them for protection....made of brushed polyester in an envelope style. They
                      also fit nicely in the hood of a sleeping bag. They are wonderful under
                      knees....if you get that negative knee feeling in the hammock.
                      ### yep... i like to use something under my knees when i sleep on my back, & between my knees when i`m on my side.
                      Can't say enough
                      good about them. Oh, we tried out the Clark hammocks with the pockets and
                      the single chamber pillows were great for putting in the pockets to poof them
                      for insulation....and supper lightwt.
                      ### now that`s interresting!!!
                      I wrote all of this back to the
                      company for allowing me to try them.
                      I love all the questions and answers from this group.....keep 'em coming.
                      NO...thank YOU ...tim

                      Mommyveggie

                      tim garner