neck support

  • Scott Schroeder
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 30 12:54 PM
      I find laying a hammock very comfortable except for my neck. I need to
      have something under it or it starts to hurt. Besides rolled up
      clothes, what do yall use?
      I was thinking it also will be most comfortable if I have somethign
      under my next but not under my head and have the head end lower than
      the foot end. I have always hung it that way but I am seeing that if
      my head is propped up too much it gets a forward bend that isn't as
      comfortable.

      Scott
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 30 2:12 PM
        i know it`s not ultralight, but i`ve been using the thremarest brand
        neck (or travel) pillow, a little over 5oz w/ the removeable/washable
        cover. it`s self infating & i find that it works best for me if i
        squezze a little of the air out after it self inflates, before closing
        the valve.
        when i sleep on my back, i use it in the normal way, but when i side
        sleep, i turn it so the open end points toward the top of my head.
        i plan to try one of the dual chamber pillows from
        backpackinglight.com soon. they weigh less than an oz, & i think a
        pack of 3 is about $6.00 (member`s price).
        but i think i`ll also try the water wings that ralph suggested.
        ...tim
      • Bill in Houston
        Message 3 of 15 , May 1, 2006
          I use an Aerobed travel pillow. It is awesome, but is sort of heavy.
          I do not know the weight.

          Also, I think that a wine bag or coffee bag from inside those
          wine/coffee dispensing boxes might be a pretty good starting place.
          Maybe one of those stuffed inside of a supplex stuff sack?

          Bill in Houston

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Schroeder"
          <schrochem@...> wrote:

          > I find laying a hammock very comfortable except for my neck. I need to
          > have something under it or it starts to hurt. Besides rolled up
          > clothes, what do yall use?
          > I was thinking it also will be most comfortable if I have somethign
          > under my next but not under my head and have the head end lower than
          > the foot end. I have always hung it that way but I am seeing that if
          > my head is propped up too much it gets a forward bend that isn't as
          > comfortable.
          >
          > Scott

        • dlfrost_1
          Message 4 of 15 , May 1, 2006
            <schrochem@...> wrote:
            > I find laying a hammock very comfortable except for my neck. I need
            > have something under it or it starts to hurt. Besides rolled up
            > clothes, what do yall use?

            Another possiblity: foam-bead travel pillows. Target sells a
            smallish, squareish one in the auto accessory section. The stretchy
            fabric allows them to be adjustable but without that trying-to-crawl-
            out-from-underneith-you feel that inflatables have. The beads have
            insulating value, possibiliy limiting their use to cooler weather. I
            tried one out at the hammock hangout and was rather pleased.
            Downsides: bulk mainly; weight possibily.

            Doug Frost
          • Lenny Nichols
            Message 5 of 15 , May 2, 2006
              I ALWAYS need a pillow of some sort when I sleep in anything other than a
              hammock. However, I've found that the curve of the hammock suits me just
              right. Any kind of pillow in a hammock is too much for me.

              Lenny Nichols, PMP®

              Message 6 of 15 , May 2, 2006
                I have the same experience as Lenny. I do use my clothes bag as a
                pillow to read, but when sleeping find that the hammock angle is just
                the right elevation for my head when I am sleeping on my side, as I do
                almost all the time.

                Rick

                Lenny Nichols wrote:

                > I ALWAYS need a pillow of some sort when I sleep in anything other than a
                > hammock. However, I've found that the curve of the hammock suits me just
                > right. Any kind of pillow in a hammock is too much for me.

              • jwj32542
                Message 7 of 15 , May 2, 2006

                  > I have the same experience as Lenny. I do use my clothes bag as a
                  > pillow to read, but when sleeping find that the hammock angle is
                  just
                  > the right elevation for my head when I am sleeping on my side, as I
                  do
                  > almost all the time.

                  I find that the angle is fine, but supporting my head just on the back
                  of my head and shoulders puts too much stress on my neck, and gives me
                  a headache in the morning. Using a neck pillow supports my neck, but
                  keeps my head at the same angle (the back of my head still lays on the
                  hammock)...this relieves the tension and I don't get a headache.

                  Jeff
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 3, 2006
                    jwj32542 <jwj32542@...> wrote: .
                    .

                    .
                    I find that the angle is fine, but supporting my head just on the back
                    of my head and shoulders puts too much stress on my neck, and gives me
                    a headache in the morning. Using a neck pillow supports my neck, but
                    keeps my head at the same angle (the back of my head still lays on the
                    hammock)...this relieves the tension and I don't get a headache.

                    Jeff

                    ### yep... i get the same neck strain, headache if i don`t use a neck pillow.
                    ...tim

                    tim garner

                  • Scott Schroeder
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 3, 2006

                      > I find that the angle is fine, but supporting my head just on the back
                      > of my head and shoulders puts too much stress on my neck, and gives me
                      > a headache in the morning. Using a neck pillow supports my neck, but
                      > keeps my head at the same angle (the back of my head still lays on the
                      > hammock)...this relieves the tension and I don't get a headache.
                      >
                      > Jeff
                      >
                      > ### yep... i get the same neck strain, headache if i don`t use a neck
                      > pillow.
                      > ...tim

                      exactly, that's why I brought it up.
                      I think if I have a full pillow it's too much.
                      I just need some support under the neck and not the head and I'm very
                      comfortable.
                      Thanks for the replies on this one.
                      Scott

                    • Rosaleen Sullivan
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 4, 2006
                        This is another case of doing what works for each of us.

                        I have arthritis and frequent spasms in my neck. A small pillow helps me maintain the curvature just right for me. I sometimes use a jacket, but prefer a cut down kid's arm floatie or one of those blow-up U-shaped neck pillows. (Kid's arm floatie: find one of the kind that has 3 sections, cut off the non-inflatable side without cutting into the inflatable sides.)

                        Rosaleen

                        (PS-Yeah, I know, I'm a mess. So what?)

                        Subject: Re:

                        Message 11 of 15 , May 4, 2006
                          <rosaleen43@...> wrote:

                          > This is another case of doing what works for each of us.

                          I agree. What I usually like is something that stabilizes my head so I
                          can relax my neck muscles while I sleep, particularly when sleeping on
                          my back. That calls for something that is somewhat lumpy, where I can
                          adjust the lumps to stabilize my head in a comfortable way. I use a
                          stuff sack that matches the the bottom side insulation I happen to be
                          using and move the socks and other items appropriately to get the shape
                          I want. For instance I use a bigger stuff sack if my head extends off
                          of the padding I am using and the padding is relatively thick,
                          especially in cooler weather where I may also need some insulation for
                          my head. I often put this stuff sack inside my sleeping bag's stuff
                          sack because I like its texture better and it keeps that stuff sack
                          handy. By habit, I stuff my sleeping bag first in the mornings to get
                          it out of the way while I dress in my hammock.

                          Dave
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 7, 2006
                            jamie... i`m planing to buy a set of the flex-air dual pillows to
                            try out. it seems that the dual chamber will serve more like a neck
                            pillow.
                            my main questions are, 1)how well does it hold air through the night?
                            2)how long will one pillow average lasting, because they come 3 to
                            a pack & there cheap, & not intended to last forever.
                            3) what do they feel like aganst your skin?
                            i`ll look forward to your report. in the mean time, i`ll probably
                            go ahead & buy a set to try out myself. if they arn`t that great, i`m
                            not out of much cash. thanks...tim
                          • chcoa
                            Message 13 of 15 , May 7, 2006
                              Hi Tim,

                              I can give some input on your questions but bear in mind I've slept
                              on the pillows only one full night so far.

                              1)how well does it hold air through the night?

                              I used two on my inital night trail. One was the dual chambered.
                              Both held air fine through the night (7 hrs). I had also inflated
                              both pillows about three times previously for picutres, experiments,
                              pre-testing trails etc..

                              2)how long will one pillow average lasting, because they come 3 to
                              > a pack & there cheap, & not intended to last forever.

                              They "seam" like they can be used several times with care.

                              > 3) what do they feel like aganst your skin?

                              They feel soft to the touch but I found actually sleeping on them
                              was not as comfy as I thought it would be. FlexAir suggests
                              wrapping them in a shirt or something, I think this is probably a
                              good idea.

                              Best of luck.
                              jamie
                              Message 14 of 15 , May 7, 2006
                                thanks jamie... i`ll look forward to further testing. in the mean
                                time, my 5+ oz thermarest neck pillow is doing a great job.
                                ...tim
                              • Bill in Houston
                                Message 15 of 15 , May 7, 2006
                                  <rosaleen43@...> wrote:
                                  > I sometimes use a jacket, but prefer a cut down kid's arm

                                  Eek!

                                  > floatie

                                  Ah, floatie, gotcha... :-)

                                  Bill in Houston