Intro / Hammock cloth

  • fin24000
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30, 2006
      OK to start. Hi, my name is Aaron. I live in Texas (with all the nice
      trails(lol) and I have been a member here for a bit (I have learned
      alot) and I found the group from "Backpacking Talk" group and I have
      been working on geting stuff to make my own hammock and was wanting to
      know what the best cloth to use is (cheep to) it dose not need to hold
      more then 250lb but it needs to be strong, so I was just wanting to
      know what all of you thought would be best.

      Aaron.
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 30, 2006
        welcome to the group aaron. you can find nylon or polyester on the $1.00 rack at wallmart, but figuring out the exsact weight right there in the store is a guessing game, especialy when your just starting to really put your hands on the stuff. but it`s so cheap that you won`t be out of much cash if you buy 2 or 3 pices (4 yards each) of slightly differant fabrics & take them home to weigh them.
        i don`t think that ed would mind me (or someone else here) typing out the instructions for figuring the weight per sq yard. i`ll wait for a reply first. but in ed`s book "hammock camping", he lays out an easy method for doing that. of course there`s a ton of other useful info there that you`d just have to buy the book to get.
        you may have seen a recent post where rick suggests no less than 1.9 (i think) for a single layer hammock.
        you`ll find lot`s more info on hammock making at speerhammocks, or imrisk, or tothewoods. ...tim

        fin24000 <fin24000@...> wrote:
        OK to start. Hi, my name is Aaron. I live in Texas (with all the nice
        trails(lol) and I have been a member here for a bit (I have learned
        alot) and I found the group from "Backpacking Talk" group and I have
        been working on geting stuff to make my own hammock and was wanting to
        know what the best cloth to use is (cheep to) it dose not need to hold
        more then 250lb but it needs to be strong, so I was just wanting to
        know what all of you thought would be best.

        Aaron.

        tim garner

      • fin24000
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 30, 2006
          OK well I will go pick some up in a few days and tell you how it
          turns out and I am planing on a 2 layer hammock so Thanks for the
          help =).

          Aaron.

          > welcome to the group aaron. you can find nylon or polyester on the
          $1.00 rack at wallmart, but figuring out the exsact weight right
          there in the store is a guessing game, especialy when your just
          starting to really put your hands on the stuff. but it`s so cheap
          that you won`t be out of much cash if you buy 2 or 3 pices (4 yards
          each) of slightly differant fabrics & take them home to weigh them.
          > i don`t think that ed would mind me (or someone else here)
          typing out the instructions for figuring the weight per sq yard. i`ll
          wait for a reply first. but in ed`s book "hammock camping", he lays
          out an easy method for doing that. of course there`s a ton of other
          useful info there that you`d just have to buy the book to get.
          > you may have seen a recent post where rick suggests no less
          than 1.9 (i think) for a single layer hammock.
          > you`ll find lot`s more info on hammock making at speerhammocks,
          or imrisk, or tothewoods. ...tim

          > fin24000 <fin24000@...> wrote:
          > OK to start. Hi, my name is Aaron. I live in Texas (with all the
          nice
          > trails(lol) and I have been a member here for a bit (I have learned
          > alot) and I found the group from "Backpacking Talk" group and I
          have
          > been working on geting stuff to make my own hammock and was wanting
          > know what the best cloth to use is (cheep to) it dose not need to
          hold
          > more then 250lb but it needs to be strong, so I was just wanting to
          > know what all of you thought would be best.
          >
          > Aaron.

          > Camping hammock Camping food Rv camping Gsi
          outdoors Happy camper Outdoors

          Service.

          > ---------------------------------
          >

          > tim garner

        • jwj32542
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 30, 2006
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "fin24000" <fin24000@...>
            wrote:

            > OK well I will go pick some up in a few days and tell you how it
            > turns out and I am planing on a 2 layer hammock so Thanks for the
            > help =).

            You can probably use 1.1oz if you're making a two layer hammock. I
            made a single-layer hammock with it...kinda dicey. It holds me just
            fine but I don't think it'll be very durable.

            I usually use untreated ripstop nylon instead of DWR for the hammock
            body...just think it feels better, and it's much easier to find at
            Walmart. My insulation provides the wind resistance.

            I think my next down hammock will be two layers of 1.1oz for the
            body, just because I don't have any 1.9oz downproof. Should be much
            stronger than a single layer because the top layer won't have any
            horizontal seams to weaken the body.

            Jeff