Re: [Hammock Camping] Hennessey Hammock Water Collection System(Funnels)

  • fugglesrastus
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 27 3:22 PM
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, opnheartscrub@... wrote:

      > > Is anyone using the New Hennessy Hammock Automatic Fly Tensioner
      > > and
      > > Water Collection System, eg the funnels that you put on your
      water
      > > bottles for water collection. Do the funnels work well, and have
      > > you
      > > found any problems using them?
      >

      > While I've never used the actual HH product, I have toyed with the
      > idea before. I found that the water I collected had to be filtered
      > before it could be used because of debris that fell from the trees
      > overhead. I never drank the water because because of a foam
      > (surfactant?) that seemed to be coming from my silnylon tarp. I
      never
      > used this method to tension my tarp but it might work well for
      this.

      Hello. I had wondered about this myself, hence why I asked here
      first before ordering some from the Hennessey Hammocks. I have a
      water filter that will probally take care of Debris but I was
      wondering about chemicals from the silnylon tarp treatment. Thanks
      for answering back my question. Thanks Cheers Heather

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 27 7:32 PM
        opnheartscrub@... wrote:
        .
        ... I never drank the water because because of a foam
        (surfactant?) that seemed to be coming from my silnylon tarp.
        . .
        Brian
        T-BACK

        i had the same foam once when collecting water from a tee-pee style tent. i wonder if it would continue to do that after the tarp`s been used in the rain for a while. and i wonder just what it is (the foam). if it`s a chemical residue from the silicon, how good is that to be drinking? and how well would a filter remove it? would it clog a filter prematurly?
        i feel pretty sure using a chemical water treatment would be of no use as far as the foam is concerned. it seems that this would be good stuff to know.
        BTW... another thought on water collection... a large trash bag is great for collecting water from the edge of a tarp or a seeping rock, etc. ...tim

        tim garner

      • Johan van Dijk
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 27 10:39 PM
          I used a DIY funnel on this and try to solve the small debris problem that
          was on the tarp and washed into my platypus by putting some mosquito netting
          between the two screw-on caps from a coke bottle or similar while I was
          going through jungles of Central America (Guatemala and Honduras).

          This method worked okay for me, it rained sufficiently at times ;-)

          With a lot of rain, a drip stopping wire *MIGHT* double function to keep the
          water off your hammock line into your bottle?!? Probably a hell of a lot
          lighter too.... Mmmm will play with this whenever I get an opportunity (will
          take too long unfortunately).

          I think I put some pics on (go to the photo section and look at
          gonewalkabout2003 ) Not sure if this is clear to you or not. The first pic
          is of the second method, just the caps, without the funnel (didn't work too
          good) but it shows the mozzie netting better. Just shout if you need
          clarification.

          Hope this helps

          Grtz Johan

          mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63
          email: gonewalkabout2003@...

          http://www.geocities.com/johanvandijk
          http://calendar.yahoo.com/johanvandijk

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 10, 2006
            Hi Folks,

            In April, we were discussing 'foam' from silnylon tarps and Hennessy water collection funnels. I wrote Hennessy and asked about it. Here's their response:

            > Tom Pennells wrote:
            >> Hello Cara Lin,
            >>
            >> I was reviewing some older emails. I think Tom Hennessy may have already
            >> responded to your question but I am just checking to make sure. We have
            >> tested both our poly and silnylon rain flies and have never had foam come
            >> off of the rain fly. If you have any questions, please let me know by
            >> email
            >> or by phone (1-888-539-2930 or internationally 00-1-250-539-2930).
            >>
            >> Thanks
            >>
            >> Tom P

          • Rat
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 10, 2006
              Foam GOOD! See Spirit World VERY EASY!!! But, make no poo-poo for
              six days after!