silk speer hammock almost done...

  • rollerblaz123
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 26 12:16 AM
      hello everyone, i've just got a quick question, im using 3/4" straps
      for my hammock (im a lightweight @ 145) , i have the ends whipped, and
      im woundering how should i attatch the straps? im nervious that since
      my straps are smaller (i.e. less zig/zagin room) that the zig zag
      stitch will break and ill be on my bum. is tying a knot out of the
      question? i've been looking at imrisks's zhammock and hes got a nice
      strap attatchment, looks like a knot then sewed, am i correct Rick? if
      so what kind of knot is that? however the hammock otherwise is a
      success i used 8mm habotai (thanks for the idea Bill!) i also died it a
      cool greenish/blueish color and its very comfy, next one i make (i'd
      like to try 6mm... 5mm broke after i did a bounce) will be a little
      wider.
      thanks!
      mike!
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 26 4:10 AM
        What I did was to sew a loop, using three bars of zigzag stitch. Then I
        brought the long end of the strap through the loop, forming a
        constricting loop which is tightened inboard and on top of the whipping.

        The advantage of this is that the straps are easy to remove, switch with
        other hammocks and try other straps on this hammock. I have had no
        failures of straps from this arrangement.

        Rick

      • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 27 9:03 AM
          > my straps are smaller (i.e. less zig/zagin room) that the zig zag
          > stitch will break and ill be on my bum. is tying a knot out of the
          > question?

          I'd be carefull. Tying a knot may weaken may weaken the strap. Maybe
          stitch a box shape then stitch an "x" in the center.

          Brian
          T-BACK