Re: [Hammock Camping] polyester ripstop....

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 25, 2006
      I have used polyester (but double knit instead of ripstop) for a couple
      hammock prototypes. It worked fine, but the wind blew right through.
      It would make a fine summer hammock if the mosquitoes are not too bad.
      The hammock has a different feel, because the fabric does not stretch as
      much. It is quite comfortable for a hammock in the house.

      I don't know much about polyester ripstop. Back when I was sailing, the
      main sails were made from polyester, because it did not stretch.
      However, the spinnakers were made from very light nylon.

      I don't recommend making a hammock for a 150-200 pound person out of
      nylon any lighter than 1.9 oz ripstop nylon or two layers of 1.1 oz.

      Risk