Hennessey Hammock Water Collection System(Funnels)

  • fugglesrastus
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 25, 2006
      Hello
      Is anyone using the New Hennessy Hammock Automatic Fly Tensioner and
      Water Collection System, eg the funnels that you put on your water
      bottles for water collection. Do the funnels work well, and have you
      found any problems using them?
      Mine will be used with the larger Hex fly over my Explorer Deluxe Asym
      Hammock.
      Thanks Cheers Heather
    • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 27, 2006
        > Is anyone using the New Hennessy Hammock Automatic Fly Tensioner
        > and
        > Water Collection System, eg the funnels that you put on your water
        > bottles for water collection. Do the funnels work well, and have
        > you
        > found any problems using them?

        While I've never used the actual HH product, I have toyed with the
        idea before. I found that the water I collected had to be filtered
        before it could be used because of debris that fell from the trees
        overhead. I never drank the water because because of a foam
        (surfactant?) that seemed to be coming from my silnylon tarp. I never
        used this method to tension my tarp but it might work well for this.
        YMMV.

        Brian
        T-BACK
      • fugglesrastus
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 27, 2006
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, opnheartscrub@... wrote:

          > > Is anyone using the New Hennessy Hammock Automatic Fly Tensioner
          > > and
          > > Water Collection System, eg the funnels that you put on your
          water
          > > bottles for water collection. Do the funnels work well, and have
          > > you
          > > found any problems using them?
          >

          > While I've never used the actual HH product, I have toyed with the
          > idea before. I found that the water I collected had to be filtered
          > before it could be used because of debris that fell from the trees
          > overhead. I never drank the water because because of a foam
          > (surfactant?) that seemed to be coming from my silnylon tarp. I
          never
          > used this method to tension my tarp but it might work well for
          this.

          Hello. I had wondered about this myself, hence why I asked here
          first before ordering some from the Hennessey Hammocks. I have a
          water filter that will probally take care of Debris but I was
          wondering about chemicals from the silnylon tarp treatment. Thanks
          for answering back my question. Thanks Cheers Heather

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 27, 2006
            opnheartscrub@... wrote:
            .
            ... I never drank the water because because of a foam
            (surfactant?) that seemed to be coming from my silnylon tarp.
            . .
            Brian
            T-BACK

            i had the same foam once when collecting water from a tee-pee style tent. i wonder if it would continue to do that after the tarp`s been used in the rain for a while. and i wonder just what it is (the foam). if it`s a chemical residue from the silicon, how good is that to be drinking? and how well would a filter remove it? would it clog a filter prematurly?
            i feel pretty sure using a chemical water treatment would be of no use as far as the foam is concerned. it seems that this would be good stuff to know.
            BTW... another thought on water collection... a large trash bag is great for collecting water from the edge of a tarp or a seeping rock, etc. ...tim

            tim garner

          • Johan van Dijk
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 27, 2006
              I used a DIY funnel on this and try to solve the small debris problem that
              was on the tarp and washed into my platypus by putting some mosquito netting
              between the two screw-on caps from a coke bottle or similar while I was
              going through jungles of Central America (Guatemala and Honduras).

              This method worked okay for me, it rained sufficiently at times ;-)

              With a lot of rain, a drip stopping wire *MIGHT* double function to keep the
              water off your hammock line into your bottle?!? Probably a hell of a lot
              lighter too.... Mmmm will play with this whenever I get an opportunity (will
              take too long unfortunately).

              I think I put some pics on (go to the photo section and look at
              gonewalkabout2003 ) Not sure if this is clear to you or not. The first pic
              is of the second method, just the caps, without the funnel (didn't work too
              good) but it shows the mozzie netting better. Just shout if you need
              clarification.

              Hope this helps

              Grtz Johan

              mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63
              email: gonewalkabout2003@...

              http://www.geocities.com/johanvandijk
              http://calendar.yahoo.com/johanvandijk

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 10, 2006
                Hi Folks,

                In April, we were discussing 'foam' from silnylon tarps and Hennessy water collection funnels. I wrote Hennessy and asked about it. Here's their response:

                > Tom Pennells wrote:
                >> Hello Cara Lin,
                >>
                >> I was reviewing some older emails. I think Tom Hennessy may have already
                >> responded to your question but I am just checking to make sure. We have
                >> tested both our poly and silnylon rain flies and have never had foam come
                >> off of the rain fly. If you have any questions, please let me know by
                >> email
                >> or by phone (1-888-539-2930 or internationally 00-1-250-539-2930).
                >>
                >> Thanks
                >>
                >> Tom P

              • Rat
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 10, 2006
                  Foam GOOD! See Spirit World VERY EASY!!! But, make no poo-poo for
                  six days after!