Re: Just heard about hammock camping

  • fugglesrastus
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 25, 2006
      Hello
      I have a Hennessey Hammock, my Model is the Explorer Delux Asym with
      the larger Hex fly for extra rain protection. I love my Hammock, its
      the best nights sleep I have ever had while camping. With a toatl
      weight of 2.1kg it is the same weight as my lighest tent and foam
      thermarest mattress.
      I have the snake skins for my hammock and they make the hammock so
      quick to put up and down, it takes me about 15 min to put it up and
      about 10 to put it down again in all fairness.
      There is completly no need to have a mattress in the hammock except
      if snow/winter campping for an extra peice of insulation. I have
      pitched my hammock as a tent using 4 extra guy ropes and pegs using
      my 2 trecking poles set at 1m10 high using my poncho as a ground
      sheet.
      Have fun Thanks Cheers Heather. New Zealand

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, QPens@... wrote:

      > Hi All,
      > Sorry to ask the question everyone new probably asks. I
      backpacked for
      > many years until my ex-wife decided that she didn't like it.
      Twenty-five
      > years later, I'm going out on the trails again. I've always slept
      in a tent and
      > stumbled upon the idea of sleeping in a hammock on the Traildog
      board.
      > Someone was kind enough to email me with wonderful things to say
      about sleeping
      > in them...even though I wasn't quite sure they looked comfortable.
      > So...what are the advantages/disadvantages of the Speer
      Hammocks vs. the