SEHHA Hang In April 2006

  • David Chamberlain
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 24 7:21 PM
      It was great to meet people and put a face to a name. I got there
      on Friday afternoon and set up my HH. We had a great spaghetti dinner
      and then sat around the campfire.

      After lights out, the storm came in. The first couple of lightning
      strikes, there was less than 2 seconds between the flash and the bang
      (with the mountains providing a echo chamber the thunder lasted for 15
      to 20 seconds). Then the storm drifted away. The lightning was still
      incredibly bright but at least it was firther away.

      Youngblood decided to move because the river was a-rising but the
      river did not threaten anyone else.

      It was a great trip and it was fin to see meet eveyone.

      Dave Chamberlain
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 25 3:54 AM
        David Chamberlain <dbchamber@...> wrote: It was great to meet people and put a face to a name. ...
        It was a great trip and it was fin to see meet eveyone.

        Dave Chamberlain

        good to meet you dave. look forward to seeing you at another camp-out.
        BTW... trail days in damascus va will be may 19-21. they have a web site telling about it that you can find by googleing.
        ed speer is usualy one of the many venders w/ a booth set-up there. i`m thinking he said they would be back from thier trip by then.
        oh-yeah... Joe is the name of the other fellow hiking w/ youngblood & brain. i hope they`er having a good time.

        tim garner

      • Bill in Houston
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 25 6:02 AM
          Glad you guys had fin. ;-)

          Bill in Houston

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "David Chamberlain"
          <dbchamber@...> wrote:

          > It was a great trip and it was fin to see meet eveyone.
          >
          > Dave Chamberlain

        • Ralph Oborn
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 25 6:54 AM
            On 4/25/06, Bill in Houston <zippydooda@...> wrote:

            > Glad you guys had fin. ;-)
            >
            > Bill in Houston

            Even though it was a carpy day

            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 26 9:21 PM
              Brian, Joe and I finished the 35 miles to Hot Springs today from
              Davenport Gap. It was a tough hike for us... none of us really had
              our trail legs and we started out with five miles of climbing that we
              probably never recovered from. We had a breath taking day on Max
              Patch. Clear skies and a nice breeze; seemed like it was 40 to 50
              mph but then we saw small birds flying in and out of the little bird
              houses they placed on a few poles and even a bumble bee flying around-
              - it didn't seem like it should be possible. Maybe they used
              mirrors? <grin> We caught Bluff Mountain in what has to be one of
              the peak days. There was an unimaginable number or wildflowers as we
              took the switch backs down the mountain. I saw a stand of white
              irises. I've never seen them before, there where the violet ones and
              some 'tweeners in between them. Our last night out we got a storm
              just before dark and everyone stayed dry. I was the farthest one
              down the slope of the mountain we were on and I heard
              some 'unfriendly type' snorting a few times an hour or so after it
              got dark maybe 50 to 100 yards below us, but not near our food bags.
              Don't know what it was but figure it didn't like something. Those
              sort of things make it difficult to get a good nights sleep as you
              are always trying to listen out for something trying to sneak up on
              you... at least when you are the closest one to it. About two hours
              before daybreak I faintly heard some whiperwills in the distance,
              about where we were first thinking about setting up our hammocks, one
              of them made it to us right at first light... nice wake up service.

              Dave
            • Coy
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 26 10:10 PM
                Sounds great, even the climbs and the wind...btw what are trail
                legs...LOL.

                On the noise, I am just guessing but it may have been a deer
                snorting...or a wild hog...or a bear...that narrowed it down a lot!

                I camped out night befor last and had a whooperwill till from around 7
                PM to around 9 PM then he started up again at around 5:30 AM. I
                recoreded it but I need to record it again at a lower mpeg. I did
                take a few pics and one of a mt laural (first 5 photos)

                http://www.flickr.com/photos/coyboy/

                Did yall get some good pics? Send me a few if you find the time.

                Coy Boy

                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 27 4:10 AM
                  I heard
                  > some 'unfriendly type' snorting a few times an hour or so after it
                  > got dark maybe 50 to 100 yards below us, but not near our food bags.
                  > Don't know what it was but figure it didn't like something. Those
                  > sort of things make it difficult to get a good nights sleep as you
                  > are always trying to listen out for something trying to sneak up on
                  > you... at least when you are the closest one to it.

                  Dave,

                  Sounds like a good intro to spring hike.

                  I have heard snortings in the middle of the night - even in Ohio. After
                  thinking about it a while, I believe it is usually the snorting of a
                  deer who has suddenly come across me or my scent and is warning others.

                  Down in that area, the other possibility is one of the pigs. However,
                  they are so heavily hunted that they generally get out of Dodge when a
                  hammocker is discovered someplace away from the normal camping areas.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 27 4:26 AM
                    sounds like a realy good hike! as i was leaving the hot springs campground sunday morn, i realized it was only 10:00am... to early to be going home.
                    i drove up to the AT crossing just north of town & hiked up on top of a knob w/ my hammock for a while. but i was whishing i could have hiked w/ yall part of the day. but it sounds like you started off going up the hill :~)
                    anyway, i wondered about yall yesterday (wed) because we had rain most of the day in winston-salem. glad yall had a good hike. ...tim

                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 27 5:43 AM

                      > On the noise, I am just guessing but it may have been a deer
                      > snorting...or a wild hog...or a bear...that narrowed it down a lot!

                      I don't know what it was. There was a stand of mostly pine trees
                      that we were in that ended in a rhododendrum thicket. Whatever it
                      was could have been in the rhododendrum, or not. I didn't hear any
                      hooves pounding the ground or any limbs or branches breaking so I
                      didn't have any other clues. I know that if Brian had of been
                      between me and the noise that I would have slept a little better. lol.

                      One thing good about hiking the AT this time of year is that there
                      wasn't much in the way of brushed over trail and there were no spider
                      webs for the point person to break. There is a section of the
                      Bartram Trail in Georgia south of Warwoman Dell that the spider webs
                      are so magnificent that they make even seasoned hikers plea for
                      mercy. You can feel the tension on the webs when you step into them,
                      more so than I recall on any of the other trails that I have been on,
                      and you literally peel the webbing off your hat, face, clothes, pack,
                      etc every half hour or so. And there is the occassional spider
                      dropping down from the bill of your cap dangling in front of your
                      face demanding to know where you are taking him. You try waving your
                      poles out front of you but that gets tiring after a while, especially
                      when you go 15 minutes without hitting any. Then there are those
                      quick stops where you notice them just as you are about to hit one,
                      you get lots of practice 'stopping in your tracks'. You have to hope
                      no one is following too close. Fun stuff! We missed that on the
                      heavier used AT.
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 27 8:02 AM
                        Rick,

                        That wasn't a scary incident, just something you paid attention to.
                        I've been out there when critters were about and don't particularly
                        worry about it. But if you think it might be something that can
                        cause a problem you tend to try to stay awake for a few minutes or
                        you try to sleep a little lighter.

                        The most upsetting night time experience for me wasn't bears, but
                        either an elk or a deer. My hiking buddy was in a tent about 20 feet
                        from me and it got within a yard of his tent before it stomped the
                        ground, waking us from our sleep. Sounded like someone was pounding
                        a wooden stake with a sledge hammer. Scared him pretty bad, got me
                        worried (he was between me and the sound) and had me shining a light
                        around from my hammock at every little sound I heard. That hiking
                        buddy is a college kid but he grew up in the woods and is an
                        experienced hunter and fisherman, he figured our sweet little
                        campsite was slap in the middle of game trail. It was probably a
                        deer as it wasn't in the area where they reintroduced elk, but it was
                        in that general area and it scared us enough that elk sounds better
                        than deer. lol. That was on the AT, just south of the Smokies.

                        I've been in an area where the coyotes where running through camp
                        where you heard them all around you at the same time, communicating
                        with yaps and howls. That was a little unnerving as there seemed to
                        be a large number of them. I was with a group of about a dozen of us
                        and all of us had long distance hiking experience with an AT thru
                        hike or better under our belts. We were scattered out over quite and
                        area as it was in a flat pine forrest and I think it got everyone's
                        adrenaline going. We all thought it was neat... the next morning.
                        That was on the Eglin AFB section of the Florida Trail.

                        Daytime encounters are a little different. I've heard a bear
                        crashing though rhododendron thickets coming down the side of a
                        mountain towards me and just started yelling to finally get its
                        attention to let it know I was there before it got too close. One
                        time a buddy and I had to stare down a sow boar with piglets for a
                        few minutes before it decided to move about 50 feet off the trail
                        into the thicket of briers and let us pass. She wasn't happy with us
                        and let us know the whole time. She was snorting at us while she was
                        on the trail and while she moved and let us pass. Getting off the
                        trail or turning around didn't seem like an option where we were at.
                        That was in the Cohutta Wilderness Area of the Benton MacKaye Trail
                        in north Georgia.

                        And there are the occasional rattlesnake encounters where you can't
                        go around them, they get defensive and you decide to move them off
                        the trail. That's always a thrill. I've only had two experiences
                        where the snake was moved off the trail. One time the snake wasn't a
                        real big one, was on the upslope side of the trail, was only slightly
                        pissed off and was fairly easy to flip over with my poles so I could
                        dash by... it never struck at me and I didn't have to get anyone else
                        pass the snake. The other time the snake was bigger and more pissed
                        off, it was on the down slope side of the trail and Coy was there to
                        handle it... I stayed out of the way and don't know if it struck at
                        Coy or not. Coy is braver at such things than I, I don't know if I
                        would have messed with that snake and only had the courage to mess
                        with the smaller one after watching Coy handle that one a year
                        earlier.

                        Dave

                        > I heard
                        > > some 'unfriendly type' snorting a few times an hour or so after
                        it
                        > > got dark maybe 50 to 100 yards below us, but not near our food
                        bags.
                        > > Don't know what it was but figure it didn't like something.
                        Those
                        > > sort of things make it difficult to get a good nights sleep as
                        you
                        > > are always trying to listen out for something trying to sneak up
                        on
                        > > you... at least when you are the closest one to it.
                        > >
                        > Dave,
                        >
                        > Sounds like a good intro to spring hike.
                        >
                        > I have heard snortings in the middle of the night - even in Ohio.
                        After
                        > thinking about it a while, I believe it is usually the snorting of
                        > deer who has suddenly come across me or my scent and is warning
                        others.

                        > Down in that area, the other possibility is one of the pigs.
                        However,
                        > they are so heavily hunted that they generally get out of Dodge
                        when a
                        > hammocker is discovered someplace away from the normal camping
                        areas.

                        > Rick

                      • Coy
                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 27 11:14 AM
                          Dave, I have been using a heart rate monitor her lately but the other
                          day whan I saw the corn sanke I did not have it on. I saw it going
                          down the mountain and I put the HRM on for my hike uphill. I'm
                          guessing a big rattler is good for about 20 more BBM. Hey, wonder if
                          I could catch a few and and sell them as exercise assecories...

                          Coy Boy
                          PS I going camping tonight for a cool night test of a new bag I'm
                          testing on BGT. sposed to be in the lower 40's tonight. My not see
                          many nights this cool again this summer. BTW Cody and I will be
                          doing a hike somewhere in early June. I'll post details later on when
                          i know when and where but we want something like the Smokies. If
                          there, I was thinking of starting at New Found Gap and hiking south
                          but i dont want to stay at shelters inside the park. They want you to
                          stay inside the shelters. I have not looked yet but i know there are
                          some side trails with campsits. If I can work out a route that
                          allows us to hop off the AT for each night I might try that. Shooting
                          for 3 nights right now. Scedual wont be very flexible as Cody only has
                          the one week window to hike.

                          Coy Boy

                          The other time the snake was bigger and more pissed
                          > off, it was on the down slope side of the trail and Coy was there to
                          > handle it... I stayed out of the way and don't know if it struck at
                          > Coy or not. Coy is braver at such things than I, I don't know if I
                          > would have messed with that snake and only had the courage to mess
                          > with the smaller one after watching Coy handle that one a year
                          > earlier.
                          >
                          > Dave
                        • dlfrost_1
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 1, 2006
                            > BTW Cody and I will be
                            > doing a hike somewhere in early June. I'll post details later on
                            when
                            > i know when and where but we want something like the Smokies. If
                            > there, I was thinking of starting at New Found Gap and hiking south
                            > but i dont want to stay at shelters inside the park. They want you
                            > stay inside the shelters. I have not looked yet but i know there
                            are
                            > some side trails with campsits. If I can work out a route that
                            > allows us to hop off the AT for each night I might try that.
                            Shooting
                            > for 3 nights right now.

                            I might be able to provide some info on hammock sites/options, so
                            post tentative schedule when you have one. How many miles a day
                            maximum do you plan on?

                            Doug Frost
                          • Coy
                            Message 13 of 15 , May 2, 2006
                              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "dlfrost_1" <dlfrost@...>
                              wrote:

                              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Coy" <starnescr@> wrote:
                              > > BTW Cody and I will be
                              > > doing a hike somewhere in early June. I'll post details later
                              on
                              > when
                              > > i know when and where but we want something like the Smokies.
                              If
                              > > there, I was thinking of starting at New Found Gap and hiking
                              south
                              > > but i dont want to stay at shelters inside the park. They want
                              you
                              > > stay inside the shelters. I have not looked yet but i know
                              there
                              > are
                              > > some side trails with campsits. If I can work out a route that
                              > > allows us to hop off the AT for each night I might try that.
                              > Shooting
                              > > for 3 nights right now.
                              >
                              > I might be able to provide some info on hammock sites/options, so
                              > post tentative schedule when you have one. How many miles a day
                              > maximum do you plan on?
                              >
                              > Doug Frost

                              Great, I am still in the thinking stage but will firm up plans
                              soon. Any suggestions would be great. Right now I am just thinking
                              of parking somewhere so we can end up back at the same vehicle.
                              this could be Newfound Gap or one of the Campgrounds on either side
                              ie Cosby, Deep Creek, Elkmont etc. As for mpd, I am slowly getting
                              back in shape. I was probably in the worst shape of my life when I
                              hiked with Dave and Wayne back in January and it made for some tough
                              climbs. I was coming off a sore knee that had me parked for about a
                              month. But, I still have no desire to do high miles. I want to take
                              it easy and feel good at the end of the day. Therefore, I am also
                              considering some way to split up (on purpose) and let cody and his
                              friend hike extra miles. This could mean a different campsite for
                              on night but I want us at the same campsite at least 1 night and
                              preferably 2 or all 3. With the up and down terrain I will probably
                              try to hike no more than 10 miles in a day. This may be hard to
                              plan due to the spacing of the campsites inside the park and is one
                              reason I wouldnt mind something outside the park where campsites are
                              more flexible. Another section like Standing Indian would be great
                              but I am not sure where this is possible further south. The GSMNP is
                              good because there are lots of loops which makes it easier to park
                              and do a loop. Of couse if someone like you are Dave can make it it
                              might be easier to do a hike one way and park at both ends.

                              Coy Boy
                              Message 14 of 15 , May 3, 2006

                                Of couse if someone like you are Dave can make it it
                                > might be easier to do a hike one way and park at both ends.
                                >
                                > Coy Boy

                                Coy,

                                When are you going?

                                Dave
                              • Coy
                                Message 15 of 15 , May 4, 2006

                                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Coy" <starnescr@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > Of couse if someone like you are Dave can make it it
                                  > > might be easier to do a hike one way and park at both ends.
                                  > >
                                  > > Coy Boy
                                  > >

                                  > Coy,
                                  >
                                  > When are you going?
                                  >
                                  > Dave

                                  I'm aiming for May 29th - June 1st (Monday - Thursday) I'll have to
                                  be back in time to make it to work Friday June 2nd. So Monday and
                                  Thursday may be limited to a half day of hiking. Tuesday and
                                  Wednesday would be full days.

                                  Coy Boy