idea about no more back sweat in a hammock?

  • rollerblaz123
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 19 11:15 PM
      i know people have been complaining that there can be some moisture
      accumulated between the pad and your back because the pad doesnt pass
      enough moisture through. well i got to thinking...dont know if anyone
      else thought of this but would it be possible to just run your pad
      through a sewing machine with a thick needle without thread? this would
      poke a lot of holes that i would imagine help with dealing with
      moisture. and not getting rid of much insulation properties. it will
      also depend on the 'self healing' qualities of your pad and of course
      you probably should'nt do this idea with an inflatable pad...
      any ideas/comments?
      mike!
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 20 3:41 AM
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "rollerblaz123"
        <rollerblaz@...> wrote:

        > i know people have been complaining that there can be some moisture
        > accumulated between the pad and your back because the pad doesnt
        pass
        > enough moisture through. well i got to thinking...dont know if
        anyone
        > else thought of this but would it be possible to just run your pad
        > through a sewing machine with a thick needle without thread? this
        would
        > poke a lot of holes that i would imagine help with dealing with
        > moisture. and not getting rid of much insulation properties. it
        will
        > also depend on the 'self healing' qualities of your pad and of
        course
        > you probably should'nt do this idea with an inflatable pad...
        > any ideas/comments?
        > mike!

        Mike,

        You definitely don't want to try that with an inflatable pad. I
        would not use my sewing machine to try and poke holes in the closed
        cell foam pads I have but I don't know what you have in the way of
        closed cell foam pads or a sewing machine. I saw years ago where
        C.D. Pritchard poked a pattern of holes in a closed cell foam pad
        using a brass tube as a cutting device <
        http://home.chattanooga.net/~cdp/hammock/hammock.htm >. If I wanted
        to do that I would think about using a soldering iron with a pointed
        tip to melt the holes and do it in a well ventilated area. If you
        give it a try, good luck with it and let us know how it went.

        Dave
      • Bill in Houston
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 20 6:03 AM
          Seems to me that that would take away most of the insulating ability of
          the pad...

          Bill in Houston

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 20 8:24 AM
            Bill,

            Yep, there are tradeoffs in that, especially when its windy. But, if
            you are sweating enough to accumulate a pool of water, reduced
            insulation might be more comfortable... at least while the insulation
            was enough to keep you warm. I don't think it would take away most
            of the insulation, you would have some fabric on at least one surface
            (and maybe both) and that would slow down some of the air flow.

            If you look at the Thermarest self inflating pads. What they did
            with some models is to use either solid sheets of open cell foam or
            sheets of open cell foam that have some of the foam removed by a die,
            much like a cookie cutter. The solid foam provides more insulation,
            while the die cut foam has reduced weight and pack volume for the
            same thickness pads.

            Dave

            <zippydooda@...> wrote:

            > Seems to me that that would take away most of the insulating
            ability of
            > the pad...
            >
            > Bill in Houston
            >
            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble" <dpwomble@>
            > wrote:
            > > I saw years ago where
            > > C.D. Pritchard poked a pattern of holes in a closed cell foam pad
            > > using a brass tube as a cutting device <
            > > http://home.chattanooga.net/~cdp/hammock/hammock.htm >. If I
            wanted
            > > to do that I would think about using a soldering iron with a
            pointed
            > > tip to melt the holes and do it in a well ventilated area. If
            you
            > > give it a try, good luck with it and let us know how it went.
            > >
            > > Dave

          • Bill in Houston
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 20 9:35 AM
              These all have impermeable fabric on both sides of the holes... I guess
              regular fabric is somewhat impermeable in and of itself...

              Bill in Houston

              > If you look at the Thermarest self inflating pads. What they did
              > with some models is to use either solid sheets of open cell foam or
              > sheets of open cell foam that have some of the foam removed by a die,
              > much like a cookie cutter. The solid foam provides more insulation,
              > while the die cut foam has reduced weight and pack volume for the
              > same thickness pads.
              >
              > Dave

            • Ralph Oborn
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 21 1:30 PM
                If you look at the Thermarest self inflating pads. ........

                Dave

                So if I were to look at my thermarest, I'd have to open it up right???

                Ralph

              • jwj32542
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 21 3:08 PM
                  > So if I were to look at my thermarest, I'd have to open it up
                  right???

                  Yeah, but many stores that sell TRs (like REI) have a display that
                  shows how they're constructed. Some are just posters but some have
                  actual samples so you can see a cross-section of the real thing.

                  Jeff
                • Johan van Dijk
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 23 12:27 AM
                    I tried punching about 1,5 cm (0.6 inch) in a closed cell pad and that
                    worked quite well without the feeling that I lost much in loosing insulation
                    capacity, but then again I was sweating in the first place and that was NOT
                    in a mild/cold climate ;-)

                    O and not using a mat was just a bit too chilly on my back in the middle and
                    end of the nights...

                    So I wd say give it a shot with small holes, making the bigger if needed on
                    a cheap pad.

                    Grtz Johan

                    On 4/20/06, rollerblaz123 <rollerblaz@...> wrote:

                    > i know people have been complaining that there can be some moisture
                    > accumulated between the pad and your back because the pad doesnt pass
                    > enough moisture through. well i got to thinking...dont know if anyone
                    > else thought of this but would it be possible to just run your pad
                    > through a sewing machine with a thick needle without thread? this would
                    > poke a lot of holes that i would imagine help with dealing with
                    > moisture. and not getting rid of much insulation properties. it will
                    > also depend on the 'self healing' qualities of your pad and of course
                    > you probably should'nt do this idea with an inflatable pad...
                    > any ideas/comments?
                    > mike!

                    mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63
                    email: gonewalkabout2003@...