PeaPod Hood

  • jwj32542
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 13 12:17 AM
      I love my PeaPod, but I've had a few minor issues with it:

      - I don't like to enclose myself completely in the PeaPod because of
      breath condensation, so...
      - When I sleep completely inside the PeaPod with only a small
      ventilation hole, it's a hassle to keep the hole lined up with my
      face. And the Velcro scratches my face.
      - When I sleep with my head out of the PeaPod, the Velcro scratches
      my neck and face.
      - When I move around, the warm air bellows out of the head opening.
      - When I have the Velcro attached tightly around my neck, then move
      around, it opens up and I have to reseal it

      Solution: PeaPod Facemask - It's basically a hood with DWR on the
      outside and a layer of fleece to go against my face, then velcro
      attaches it to the PeaPod's velcro.

      Check out the details and pics here:
      http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearPeaPodHood.html

      On another note, the PeaPod seems to work even better with my new
      51" wide hammock. The sides don't come up so high, so the Pod lays
      over me almost like a normal quilt. I like it!

      Jeff
    • marta_clark
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 13 3:42 AM
        Great idea, Jeff!

        Marta

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 13 6:04 AM
            That PeaPod Hood sure looks nice Jeff..Ed

            Moderator, Hammock Camping List

            Editor, Hammock Camping News

            Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

            _____

[...]

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            * Visit your group "hammockcamping

            _____

          • jack_tier
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 13 8:08 AM
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jwj32542" <jwj32542@...>
              wrote:

              > I love my PeaPod, but I've had a few minor issues with it:
              >
              > - I don't like to enclose myself completely in the PeaPod because
              of
              > breath condensation, so...
              > - When I sleep completely inside the PeaPod with only a small
              > ventilation hole, it's a hassle to keep the hole lined up with my
              > face. And the Velcro scratches my face.
              > - When I sleep with my head out of the PeaPod, the Velcro scratches
              > my neck and face.
              > - When I move around, the warm air bellows out of the head
              opening.
              > - When I have the Velcro attached tightly around my neck, then move
              > around, it opens up and I have to reseal it
              >
              > Solution: PeaPod Facemask - It's basically a hood with DWR on the
              > outside and a layer of fleece to go against my face, then velcro
              > attaches it to the PeaPod's velcro.
              >
              > Check out the details and pics here:
              > http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearPeaPodHood.html
              >
              > On another note, the PeaPod seems to work even better with my new
              > 51" wide hammock. The sides don't come up so high, so the Pod
              lays
              > over me almost like a normal quilt. I like it!
              >
              > Jeff

              Jeff,

              Nice job on your pea pod hood...it looks identicle to earlier JRB
              Down Hood before we made them with three chambers to give it a more
              conventional appearance and add baffles...What is the weight of your
              hood?...With 1.5 inches of 800+ pf the baffled JRB Down Hood come to
              2 oz...

              Pan

            • jwj32542
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 13 9:52 AM
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jack_tier" <jacktier@...>
                wrote:

                > What is the weight of your
                > hood?...With 1.5 inches of 800+ pf the baffled JRB Down Hood come to
                > 2 oz...

                It's 6 oz, which is heavier than I expected. I just used the fleece I
                had on hand, so it's not lighweight or anything. It's also much
                bigger than a regular hood so I have room to ventilate the PeaPod w/o
                removing the hood.

                I was thinking about using down or Primaloft while I was making this
                one. I'm sure it would save weight, but I like the feel of the soft
                fleece against my face better than DWR. I think I could make it from
                some windproof microfleece and probably get the weight to ~3 oz.

                I was thinking about how to make it multi-use, too. It's too big to
                wear as a normal-sized hood, but I like the size so I can move around
                in it while I'm sleeping...a fitted hood wouldn't have that
                flexibility. Maybe if I added a drawstring around the neck, I could
                loosen the drawstring when I need to move around. This one hangs a
                bit over my shoulders when I stand up in it.

                Anyway, it's a bit of a different product than the JRB hood. I really
                like the comfort it gives the PeaPod, but at 6oz I'm not sure how much
                time it'll spend in my pack. I'll experiment with it a bit more and
                decide if it's worth making a lighter prototype. Or maybe adding the
                Velcro strips to the JRB hood.

                Jeff
              • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 13 6:23 PM

                  > Solution: PeaPod Facemask - It's basically a hood with DWR on the
                  > outside and a layer of fleece to go against my face, then velcro
                  > attaches it to the PeaPod's velcro.

                  Nice job Jeff! I tried something similar a while back using my Buff
                  headgear. Yours seems to be much more functional.

                  Brian
                  T-BACK