Pulling in the last fold or two...

    Message 1 of 11 , May 10, 2003
      Gregg Spoering wrote:
      > Rick-
      > Could you elaborate a bit about what you are talking about below
      about
      > "pulling up the edges and inch or so"? In his book, Ed says
      to "pull the
      > last 2 folds 2 inches longer than the previous folds" before tying
      the
      > overhand knot.

      Hmmm...

      When I read Ed's book I put in my brain that he wanted to pull up the
      last fold, not the last 2 folds... Oh well. The first fold blends
      into the second fold anyway.

      I pulled up the last fold of both long edges at each end 2 inches on
      my first try at the Speer Hammock, and the effect was to make the
      long edges very tight. I experimented with not pulling them up at
      all and the edge is sort of flacid... I came to the conclusion that
      pulling up about an inch or maybe 3/4 of an inch was right for me.
      That way it is easier to sit in the hammock without feeling the cord-
      like edge cutting into the back of the thighs.

      But if you pull up the last fold or the the last two folds, this
      forms a pocket for the feet that balloons out a bit on each side of
      the midline. Sticking the feet into this little pocket on one side
      or the other is what helps in sleeping flat.

      Rick