RE: [Hammock Camping] Re: Insulation ideas

  • john hill
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 9, 2006
      Well, I've not been fortunate enough to camp in anything but 13 degree to 50 degree yet. Last weekend it might have been around 50 or so. I've always just used my blue pad and mid-weight thermals. I bought an SPE a few months ago and that really helps too. Anyway my point is that the comment about dispersing the persperation has a lot of merit because with the mid-weights and a blue pad I've not noticed any condensation. Now, last weekend I wore the mid-weight pants but not a top the first night and my upper body was clammy (sp?) from sleeping on the pad and SPE. The next night I wore a T shirt and wasn't clammy. This also makes me think there's something to the sweat being dispersed and evaporated off. Going to Vickburg in May and summer camp in June so I'll get to see what happens in warm weather finally.

      shane <shane@...> wrote: >I've typically used ripstop nylon with a two layer
      >hammock or with a
      >SPE sleeve type arrangement in a single layer
      >hammock. My first SPE
      >type pad holders used light weight polyester fabric
      >while Shane and
      >others have used Neat Sheets similarly.

      I'm very keen on the Neat Sheets for this purpose. They are very comfortable, and form a semi-vapor barrier. They're also light...

      Shane