Re: [Hammock Camping] home made quilt

  • Kickass Quilts
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 5 7:54 PM
      Oddonenm,

      I have instructions and a list of suppliers on my website. I use Owfinc and Thru-Hiker almost exclusively. Sometimes I grab stuff from Seattle Fabrics as well. You can find 1.1 oz ripstop breathable, sil-nylon, Polarguard 3D, and all the elastic, cord-locks, grosgrain, and other stuff you'll need. I also have pictures and instructions for making one of mine on my site if it helps.

      Patrick McKenna
      Kickass Quilts
      "Keeping you warm underneath"
      On the web at:
      http://www.KickassQuilts.com

    • Erin
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 5 8:23 PM
        Good question! I was actually thinking of using a twin size down quilt and
        tailoring it to fit my needs (foot box, etc.). If anyone has any
        suggestions or experience with this, I'd love to hear it. Maybe I could get
        a king size and make 2?

        I've been lurking on the list, reading and soaking in all the info I can. I
        have a prototype hanging in my basement right now with a 2-layer hammock
        with openings on the sides at the foot end for inserting a foam pad. SUPER
        comfy. I'm working on the bug net and tarp and then I'll be all set for
        this year's hiking season. I'm probably going to take the prototype on the
        first few trips. I'm in Colorado, so I'm not hiking for a few more weeks.
        I like it when it's not too far below freezing at night. 25 and up seems
        acceptable. :-)

        Erin (the lurker... who is learning a lot)

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 6 4:43 AM
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 6 5:11 AM
            Most of the commercially available bedroom quilts are made with lower
            quality down. The shells are not hi-tech materials and the thread is
            cotton. All of this adds up to a piece of gear that you prolly don't
            want to take into the field.

            I used dwr 1.1 ripstop for my outershell, .8 ripstop for the
            innershell. You MUST use 100% polyester thread. The cotton stuff
            will rot and your quilt will fall apart.

            You can use your prototype on a few trips to figure out what it is yu
            want in a quilt, but for longterm use, it won't hold up to the rigors
            of camping.

            Peace,
            Joe

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Erin" <ej822.co@...> wrote:

            > Good question! I was actually thinking of using a twin size down
            quilt and
            > tailoring it to fit my needs (foot box, etc.). If anyone has any
            > suggestions or experience with this, I'd love to hear it. Maybe I
            could get
            > a king size and make 2?
            >
            > I've been lurking on the list, reading and soaking in all the info
            I can. I
            > have a prototype hanging in my basement right now with a 2-layer
            hammock
            > with openings on the sides at the foot end for inserting a foam
            pad. SUPER
            > comfy. I'm working on the bug net and tarp and then I'll be all
            set for
            > this year's hiking season. I'm probably going to take the
            prototype on the
            > first few trips. I'm in Colorado, so I'm not hiking for a few more
            weeks.
            > I like it when it's not too far below freezing at night. 25 and up
            seems
            > acceptable. :-)
            >
            > Erin (the lurker... who is learning a lot)

            Service.