Re: heat ,light and chickens

  • chcoa
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 5, 2006
      What a fun converstation. There are so many ways to approach topics
      like this. Brain teasers, I love em!!!

      Now to keep it on topic - when I sleep in my hammock I like to have
      darkenss so I usually pull my beanie down over my eyes and nose. This
      can be a bad thing when camping with restless tenters though. They
      will likey be up at the crack dawn with their aches and pains and if I
      don't stur for several hours they might start throwing things at me!!
      hahaha!

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Garlington" <rgarling@...>
      wrote:

      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "chcoa" <jdeben@> wrote:
      > >
      > > They both be true. Light is the absense of darkness and darkness
      is
      > > the absense of light.
      > >
      > This is true in logical conversation; however, the physics of the
      > matter is different. In other words, "Light" is something
      (photons),
      > the absense of photons we call darkness. So darkness is the absense
      > of light, but the absense of darkness has no real meaning. (but we
      > think we know what it means!)

    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 5, 2006
        like is light the absense of darkness or is darkness the absense of light.

        Coy Boy

        Let's settle this dark thing once and for all..
        From
        http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/5599/dark_sucker_2.html

        THE THEORY OF DARK SUCKERS

        *as presented by Paul Holmgren*

        with additions and corrections by Holly Stowe
        For years it was believed that light wes emitted from an electric bulb;
        recent information has proven otherwise - dark is sucked into the bulb -
        therefore, the bulb is a dark sucker.

        There are many types and sizes of dark suckers. The largest manufacturers of
        dark suckers are General Electric and Sylvania. Some modern dark suckers
        utilize solid power to operate properly. Solid power units can be purchased
        from Eveready, Exide, and Duracell.

        The dark sucker theory proves the existance of dark suckers as well as
        proving that dark is heaver than light. Some examples are as follows:

        Electric bulbs: There is less dark near the electric bulb than at a distance
        of 100 feet when it is operating; therefore, it is sucking dark and can be
        classified as a dark sucker. The larger the dark sucker, the greater the
        distance it can suck dark. The larger the dark sucker the greater its
        capacity of dark. The dark sucking capabilities are evident when the dark
        sucker has reached its capacity and will no longer suck dark. At that point
        you may notice the dark area on the inside portion of the dark sucker. The
        larger the dark sucker, the larger the area of dark found within. This type
        of dark sucker can be made directional by placing a shield around a portion
        of the unit or behind it. This will prevent dark from entering the dark
        sucker from that side thereby extending the range of the dark sucker on the
        unprotected/unshielded side.

        Sometimes to promote big events they use a really large directional dark
        sucker. You can see the dark sucked out of the sky in a long cylinder shape
        from miles away.

        Candles - primitive dark suckers: There is more dark 30 feet from a lit
        candle then there is at a distance of 3 feet. Proof of it's dark sucking
        capabilities is relatively simple. Examine a new unused candle, notice that
        the center core is not dark. Ignite the center core. Allow the center core
        to burn for about 5 minutes. Notice the lack of dark around the candle.
        Extinguish the candle flame. Notice that the center core of the candle is
        now dark. The center core is a dark sucker protected by a soft insulator to
        extend it's life expectancy and maintain rigidity to verify that this
        primitive dark sucker is operating properly. Ignite the center core and
        allow it to burn for a minimum of 2 minutes. Pass a clean pencil over the
        top of the flame, left to right, approximately 3 inches above the center
        core. Notice that there is no dark on the pencil. Pass the pencil over the
        center core now about 1/2 inch. Notice that the pencil now has a dark area.
        The pencil blocked the path of the dark being sucked to the core of the dark
        sucker. This type dark sucker is very primitive and does not suck dark any
        great distance nor does it have a large capacity.

        Dark sucker solid power units may be purchased locally at a variety of
        outlets. Size does not determine the life expectancy of the dark sucker
        solid power unit. These solid power units work with many modern dark
        suckers, and absorb dark from the dark sucker. The absorbed dark is
        converted to solid power within the unit.

        An example of the conversion of dark into solid power in the automobile of
        today. Notice an auto in use during dark hours. Two (possibly four) large
        dark suckers are located on the front. On the rear there are two (or 3)
        smaller dark suckers with red filters. You may also notice several dark
        suckers with yellow filters. These filters are required to remove a
        percentage of red and yellow from total dark so as to energize the solid
        power unit. The solid power unit permits the auto to be utilized during
        hours of no dark by the dark it has absorbed. The number of dark suckers
        varies with the age of the automobile. Newer automobile solid power units
        require a greater percentage of red filtered dark. Older units generally
        require more non-filtered dark. The solid power unit of the automobile has a
        dark interior. This can be proved by cutting the solid power unit in half.

        Dark is heavier than light. Dark always settles to the bottom of a lake
        and/or river. Submerge just below the surface of a lake and you will notice
        an absence of dark. Lower yourself to 15 feet below the surface and you will
        notice a degree of darkness even on a sunny, bright day. Lower yourself to
        50 feet (or more) below the surface and you are in total dark. Ergo, the
        dark has settled to the bottom; therefore, dark is heavier than light.
        Modern technology has allowed us to utilize the dark that has settled to the
        bottom of large rivers through the creation of turbines which push the dark
        downriver to the ocean, which has a larger holding capacity for dark and is
        a common safe storage location. As the dark is passed through the turbine, a
        percentage of solid power is removed and transmitted to various short term
        storage plants for many usages. Prior to turbines, it was much more
        difficult to move the dark from rivers to storage areas such as deep lakes
        or the ocean. The Indians would paddle their canoes very little and not very
        deeply if they were going in the direction of flow of dark so as not to slow
        it down. However, if they were traveling opposite the natural flow of dark,
        they would dig their paddles very deep and rapidly to assist the flow of
        dark to its ocean storage place.

        Dark is faster than light. If you would open a drawer very slowly, you will
        notice that the light goes into the drawer. (You can see this happen.) You
        cannot see the dark leave the drawer. Continue to open the drawer and light
        will continue to enter the drawer; however, you will not see any dark leave
        the drawer. Therefore, dark is faster than light. Go into a closet, close
        the door, and turn off the dark sucker. Have a friend open the door about 1
        inch. Your friend will not see any dark leave the closet, nor will you. Have
        your friend open the door until half the closet is dark and half is light.
        Since 2 objects cannot occupy the same space at the same time, and you do
        not feel any change in pressure, by compressing the dark, it is logical to
        assume that dark is faster than light.

        One last proof.

        What is a by-product of movement of dark? Heat. What is a by- product of
        dark suckers? Heat, again.

        The sun is probably the largest dark sucker and when the sun is out the dark
        is gone but a lot of heat is generated. If you get in the way of the sun
        sucking the dark for to long some of the reddish (weaker) dark may become
        attached to your skin. This can be painful. Avoid this at all costs.

        Therefore a dark sucker generates heat during its operation, sucking dark
        from the surrounding area.

        enjoy... :]
        Ralph

        Around here we take a lot of our dark and ship it by wire to the bottom of a
        big reservoir. If you dive down very deep guess what you see...... yup,
        dark!

        QED

        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 5, 2006
          ralph, ralph, ralph... how long did that person have to go to college to learn to make up stuff like that? i`m not going to be sucker enough to belive it :~} ...tim

          Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@...> wrote: like is light the absense of darkness or is darkness the absense of light.

          tim garner

        • Ralph Oborn
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 5, 2006

            > ralph, ralph, ralph... how long did that person have to go to college to
            > learn to make up stuff like that? i`m not going to be sucker enough to
            > belive it :~} ...tim

            14 years for the BS in physics
            another 18 (and counting) for the masters in engineering

            Towards the end of the physics degree, things started getting metaphysical.
            Quantum mechanics, cosmology, "modern" physics, all have a little "you can't
            really see this but have faith it's really here" type of stuff.

            Ralph

            PS "Theory of Dark" matches observable phenomena!

          • Coy
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 5, 2006
              folks, i apoligize that yall had to read this. if only i had not
              posted the question.

              Coy Boy
              PS just in case yall dont know, ralph is a disgruntled displaced
              tater farmer so go easy on him.

              <Ralph.oborn@...> wrote:

              > like is light the absense of darkness or is darkness the absense
              of light.

              > Coy Boy
              >
              > Let's settle this dark thing once and for all..
              > From
              > http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/5599/dark_sucker_2.html
              >
              > THE THEORY OF DARK SUCKERS
              >
              > *as presented by Paul Holmgren*
              >
              > with additions and corrections by Holly Stowe
              > For years it was believed that light wes emitted from an electric
              bulb;
              > recent information has proven otherwise - dark is sucked into the
              bulb -
              > therefore, the bulb is a dark sucker.

            • J.D. Hoessle
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 6, 2006
                > folks, i apoligize that yall had to read this. if only i had not
                > posted the question.
                >
                > Coy Boy
                > PS just in case yall dont know, ralph is a disgruntled displaced
                > tater farmer so go easy on him.

                ...hehehe! Actually, I enjoyed every line! I was waiting for someone
                to explain the total darkness in a cave and "How Come" I keep seeing
                those little lightning flashes (static electricity). Or is that
                "stalactite electricity"...? Does stalagmite suck the dark?

                Happy Trails,

                J.D.
              • chcoa
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 8, 2006
                  hahahahaha!!! Well that solves it then. I'm convinced!!

                  Phx must have a ton of dark suckers, we generate a LOT of heat around
                  these parts. :)

                  jamie d