Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: heat ,light and chickens

  • ray diaz
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 5 10:08 AM
      I'm sorry Tim. I thought everyone was a Matrix buff...

      In The Matrix movie there was a boy who could bend a spoon with his mind.

      Here's the quote from the movie:
      *
      boy <http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0936894/>*: Do not try and bend the spoon.
      That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.
      *Neo <http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000206/>*: What truth?
      *boy <http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0936894/>*: There is no spoon.
      *Neo <http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000206/>*: There is no spoon?
      *boy <http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0936894/>*: Then you'll see, that it is not
      the spoon that bends, it is only yourself.

      > i`m not following you on the spoon, ray???
      >
      > ray diaz <raydiaz8@...> wrote: There is no spoon...
      >

      > On 4/5/06, tim garner <slowhike@...> wrote:
      > >

      > > chcoa <jdeben@...> wrote: ...As far as the chicken/egg the
      > > chicken came first. I'm refering to the
      > >
      > > biblical account of how the animals were created and set apon the
      > > earth. For non-believers I guess it's still a mystery. :)
      > >
      > > jamie in az
      > >
      > > . *** yep... that`s what i belive too jamie :~)
      > > and as for turning your lights off in a cave... been there.
      > > that`s about as total dark as i can imagin. i bet i could sleep & sleep
      > in
      > > a cave... if there was a way to hang my hammock w/o damaging the cave
      > walls.
      > >
      > > but you may have to hang a tarp just to keep from getting driped
      > > on. ...tim

      > > Camping hammock Camping food Rv camping Gsi outdoors
      > > Happy camper Outdoors

      > > ---------------------------------
      > >

      > > tim garner

      > Camping hammock Camping food Rv camping Gsi outdoors
      > Happy camper Outdoors

      > ---------------------------------
      >

      > tim garner

    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 5 11:53 AM
        What a fun converstation. There are so many ways to approach topics
        like this. Brain teasers, I love em!!!

        Now to keep it on topic - when I sleep in my hammock I like to have
        darkenss so I usually pull my beanie down over my eyes and nose. This
        can be a bad thing when camping with restless tenters though. They
        will likey be up at the crack dawn with their aches and pains and if I
        don't stur for several hours they might start throwing things at me!!
        hahaha!

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Garlington" <rgarling@...>
        wrote:

        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "chcoa" <jdeben@> wrote:
        > >
        > > They both be true. Light is the absense of darkness and darkness
        is
        > > the absense of light.
        > >
        > This is true in logical conversation; however, the physics of the
        > matter is different. In other words, "Light" is something
        (photons),
        > the absense of photons we call darkness. So darkness is the absense
        > of light, but the absense of darkness has no real meaning. (but we
        > think we know what it means!)

      • Ralph Oborn
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 5 3:30 PM
          like is light the absense of darkness or is darkness the absense of light.

          Coy Boy

          Let's settle this dark thing once and for all..
          From
          http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/5599/dark_sucker_2.html

          THE THEORY OF DARK SUCKERS

          *as presented by Paul Holmgren*

          with additions and corrections by Holly Stowe
          For years it was believed that light wes emitted from an electric bulb;
          recent information has proven otherwise - dark is sucked into the bulb -
          therefore, the bulb is a dark sucker.

          There are many types and sizes of dark suckers. The largest manufacturers of
          dark suckers are General Electric and Sylvania. Some modern dark suckers
          utilize solid power to operate properly. Solid power units can be purchased
          from Eveready, Exide, and Duracell.

          The dark sucker theory proves the existance of dark suckers as well as
          proving that dark is heaver than light. Some examples are as follows:

          Electric bulbs: There is less dark near the electric bulb than at a distance
          of 100 feet when it is operating; therefore, it is sucking dark and can be
          classified as a dark sucker. The larger the dark sucker, the greater the
          distance it can suck dark. The larger the dark sucker the greater its
          capacity of dark. The dark sucking capabilities are evident when the dark
          sucker has reached its capacity and will no longer suck dark. At that point
          you may notice the dark area on the inside portion of the dark sucker. The
          larger the dark sucker, the larger the area of dark found within. This type
          of dark sucker can be made directional by placing a shield around a portion
          of the unit or behind it. This will prevent dark from entering the dark
          sucker from that side thereby extending the range of the dark sucker on the
          unprotected/unshielded side.

          Sometimes to promote big events they use a really large directional dark
          sucker. You can see the dark sucked out of the sky in a long cylinder shape
          from miles away.

          Candles - primitive dark suckers: There is more dark 30 feet from a lit
          candle then there is at a distance of 3 feet. Proof of it's dark sucking
          capabilities is relatively simple. Examine a new unused candle, notice that
          the center core is not dark. Ignite the center core. Allow the center core
          to burn for about 5 minutes. Notice the lack of dark around the candle.
          Extinguish the candle flame. Notice that the center core of the candle is
          now dark. The center core is a dark sucker protected by a soft insulator to
          extend it's life expectancy and maintain rigidity to verify that this
          primitive dark sucker is operating properly. Ignite the center core and
          allow it to burn for a minimum of 2 minutes. Pass a clean pencil over the
          top of the flame, left to right, approximately 3 inches above the center
          core. Notice that there is no dark on the pencil. Pass the pencil over the
          center core now about 1/2 inch. Notice that the pencil now has a dark area.
          The pencil blocked the path of the dark being sucked to the core of the dark
          sucker. This type dark sucker is very primitive and does not suck dark any
          great distance nor does it have a large capacity.

          Dark sucker solid power units may be purchased locally at a variety of
          outlets. Size does not determine the life expectancy of the dark sucker
          solid power unit. These solid power units work with many modern dark
          suckers, and absorb dark from the dark sucker. The absorbed dark is
          converted to solid power within the unit.

          An example of the conversion of dark into solid power in the automobile of
          today. Notice an auto in use during dark hours. Two (possibly four) large
          dark suckers are located on the front. On the rear there are two (or 3)
          smaller dark suckers with red filters. You may also notice several dark
          suckers with yellow filters. These filters are required to remove a
          percentage of red and yellow from total dark so as to energize the solid
          power unit. The solid power unit permits the auto to be utilized during
          hours of no dark by the dark it has absorbed. The number of dark suckers
          varies with the age of the automobile. Newer automobile solid power units
          require a greater percentage of red filtered dark. Older units generally
          require more non-filtered dark. The solid power unit of the automobile has a
          dark interior. This can be proved by cutting the solid power unit in half.

          Dark is heavier than light. Dark always settles to the bottom of a lake
          and/or river. Submerge just below the surface of a lake and you will notice
          an absence of dark. Lower yourself to 15 feet below the surface and you will
          notice a degree of darkness even on a sunny, bright day. Lower yourself to
          50 feet (or more) below the surface and you are in total dark. Ergo, the
          dark has settled to the bottom; therefore, dark is heavier than light.
          Modern technology has allowed us to utilize the dark that has settled to the
          bottom of large rivers through the creation of turbines which push the dark
          downriver to the ocean, which has a larger holding capacity for dark and is
          a common safe storage location. As the dark is passed through the turbine, a
          percentage of solid power is removed and transmitted to various short term
          storage plants for many usages. Prior to turbines, it was much more
          difficult to move the dark from rivers to storage areas such as deep lakes
          or the ocean. The Indians would paddle their canoes very little and not very
          deeply if they were going in the direction of flow of dark so as not to slow
          it down. However, if they were traveling opposite the natural flow of dark,
          they would dig their paddles very deep and rapidly to assist the flow of
          dark to its ocean storage place.

          Dark is faster than light. If you would open a drawer very slowly, you will
          notice that the light goes into the drawer. (You can see this happen.) You
          cannot see the dark leave the drawer. Continue to open the drawer and light
          will continue to enter the drawer; however, you will not see any dark leave
          the drawer. Therefore, dark is faster than light. Go into a closet, close
          the door, and turn off the dark sucker. Have a friend open the door about 1
          inch. Your friend will not see any dark leave the closet, nor will you. Have
          your friend open the door until half the closet is dark and half is light.
          Since 2 objects cannot occupy the same space at the same time, and you do
          not feel any change in pressure, by compressing the dark, it is logical to
          assume that dark is faster than light.

          One last proof.

          What is a by-product of movement of dark? Heat. What is a by- product of
          dark suckers? Heat, again.

          The sun is probably the largest dark sucker and when the sun is out the dark
          is gone but a lot of heat is generated. If you get in the way of the sun
          sucking the dark for to long some of the reddish (weaker) dark may become
          attached to your skin. This can be painful. Avoid this at all costs.

          Therefore a dark sucker generates heat during its operation, sucking dark
          from the surrounding area.

          enjoy... :]
          Ralph

          Around here we take a lot of our dark and ship it by wire to the bottom of a
          big reservoir. If you dive down very deep guess what you see...... yup,
          dark!

          QED

            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 5 9:14 PM

              > ralph, ralph, ralph... how long did that person have to go to college to
              > learn to make up stuff like that? i`m not going to be sucker enough to
              > belive it :~} ...tim

              14 years for the BS in physics
              another 18 (and counting) for the masters in engineering

              Towards the end of the physics degree, things started getting metaphysical.
              Quantum mechanics, cosmology, "modern" physics, all have a little "you can't
              really see this but have faith it's really here" type of stuff.

              Ralph

              PS "Theory of Dark" matches observable phenomena!

            • Coy
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 5 10:23 PM
                folks, i apoligize that yall had to read this. if only i had not
                posted the question.

                Coy Boy
                PS just in case yall dont know, ralph is a disgruntled displaced
                tater farmer so go easy on him.

                <Ralph.oborn@...> wrote:

                > like is light the absense of darkness or is darkness the absense
                of light.

                > Coy Boy
                >
                > Let's settle this dark thing once and for all..
                > From
                > http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/5599/dark_sucker_2.html
                >
                > THE THEORY OF DARK SUCKERS
                >
                > *as presented by Paul Holmgren*
                >
                > with additions and corrections by Holly Stowe
                > For years it was believed that light wes emitted from an electric
                bulb;
                > recent information has proven otherwise - dark is sucked into the
                bulb -
                > therefore, the bulb is a dark sucker.

              • J.D. Hoessle
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 6 4:50 AM
                  > folks, i apoligize that yall had to read this. if only i had not
                  > posted the question.
                  >
                  > Coy Boy
                  > PS just in case yall dont know, ralph is a disgruntled displaced
                  > tater farmer so go easy on him.

                  ...hehehe! Actually, I enjoyed every line! I was waiting for someone
                  to explain the total darkness in a cave and "How Come" I keep seeing
                  those little lightning flashes (static electricity). Or is that
                  "stalactite electricity"...? Does stalagmite suck the dark?

                  Happy Trails,

                  J.D.
                • chcoa
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 8 9:11 PM
                    hahahahaha!!! Well that solves it then. I'm convinced!!

                    Phx must have a ton of dark suckers, we generate a LOT of heat around
                    these parts. :)

                    jamie d