Re: What,s the best underquilt for a Hennessy Hammock?

  • Torsha P.
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 5 8:17 AM
      Great idea Lil' Daddy! :-)

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "David Wills"
      <little_daddy979@...> wrote:

      > I modified my rayway quilt to be an underquilt. I undid the footbox
      > seam and added 18" velcro closure. This partially closed blocks off
      > escaping air. Drawstrings may work better, but I found that a
      mirage
      > style over/underquilt is the best option. I made mine 60" wide and
      8
      > ft. long. The extra 6" wide and 20" long compared to the rayway
      quilt
      > aleviate the need for a top quilt saving weight. I made mine out of
      > 1.3" primaloft, but a few layers of p3d would work too. I have
      taken
      > it down to 35* before a chill starts to take effect. I sleep hot
      > though. It weighs about 38 oz and doesnt require much cutting or
      patterns.
      > Just my 2 cents
      > David with no trailname
      >
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Torsha P." <torpo23@> wrote:
      > >
      > > What's up Y'alll,
      > >
      > > In an effort to warm up my nights in my HH I've decided to take
      the
      > > plunge and construct myself an underquilt.
      > >
      > > Which is the best one in your opinion and are there any websites
      that
      > > have good intructions on constructing one?
      > >
      > > Thanks!
      > > torpo
      > > skree-fer

    • David Wills
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 5 10:48 AM
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Torsha P." <torpo23@...> wrote:

        > Great idea Lil' Daddy! :-)

        Definatley not my idea, but thanks. To clarify, I found that my
        rayway quilt was almost wide enough to be used as an over/underquilt.
        I am relativley skinny (6'2, 170) and my hammock is only 46" wide.
        The 60" over/underquilt is just wide enough to close everywhere,
        although it helps to keep a 12" hole around my neck and face open.
        People larger than pretty skinny would want to add a bit of spare
        material to the sides, complicating the sewing process. Heres the
        link to mirages site:
        http://www.peak.org/~webdawg/Hammocking/Under-Over-Quilt/index.html

        David with no trailname