Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: heat ,light and chickens

  • ray diaz
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 5, 2006
      There is no spoon...

      > chcoa <jdeben@...> wrote: ...As far as the chicken/egg the
      > chicken came first. I'm refering to the
      >
      > biblical account of how the animals were created and set apon the
      > earth. For non-believers I guess it's still a mystery. :)
      >
      > jamie in az
      >
      > . *** yep... that`s what i belive too jamie :~)
      > and as for turning your lights off in a cave... been there.
      > that`s about as total dark as i can imagin. i bet i could sleep & sleep in
      > a cave... if there was a way to hang my hammock w/o damaging the cave walls.
      >
      > but you may have to hang a tarp just to keep from getting driped
      > on. ...tim

      > Camping hammock Camping food Rv camping Gsi outdoors
      > Happy camper Outdoors

      > ---------------------------------
      >

      > tim garner

    • Ray Garlington
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 5, 2006
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "chcoa" <jdeben@...> wrote:

        > They both be true. Light is the absense of darkness and darkness is
        > the absense of light.

        This is true in logical conversation; however, the physics of the
        matter is different. In other words, "Light" is something (photons),
        the absense of photons we call darkness. So darkness is the absense
        of light, but the absense of darkness has no real meaning. (but we
        think we know what it means!)
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 5, 2006
          i`m not following you on the spoon, ray???

          ray diaz <raydiaz8@...> wrote: There is no spoon...

          > chcoa <jdeben@...> wrote: ...As far as the chicken/egg the
          > chicken came first. I'm refering to the
          >
          > biblical account of how the animals were created and set apon the
          > earth. For non-believers I guess it's still a mystery. :)
          >
          > jamie in az
          >
          > . *** yep... that`s what i belive too jamie :~)
          > and as for turning your lights off in a cave... been there.
          > that`s about as total dark as i can imagin. i bet i could sleep & sleep in
          > a cave... if there was a way to hang my hammock w/o damaging the cave walls.
          >
          > but you may have to hang a tarp just to keep from getting driped
          > on. ...tim

          > Camping hammock Camping food Rv camping Gsi outdoors
          > Happy camper Outdoors

          > ---------------------------------
          >

          > tim garner

          tim garner

        • ray diaz
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 5, 2006
            I'm sorry Tim. I thought everyone was a Matrix buff...

            In The Matrix movie there was a boy who could bend a spoon with his mind.

            Here's the quote from the movie:
            *
            boy <http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0936894/>*: Do not try and bend the spoon.
            That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.
            *Neo <http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000206/>*: What truth?
            *boy <http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0936894/>*: There is no spoon.
            *Neo <http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000206/>*: There is no spoon?
            *boy <http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0936894/>*: Then you'll see, that it is not
            the spoon that bends, it is only yourself.

            > i`m not following you on the spoon, ray???
            >
            > ray diaz <raydiaz8@...> wrote: There is no spoon...
            >

            > On 4/5/06, tim garner <slowhike@...> wrote:
            > >

            > > chcoa <jdeben@...> wrote: ...As far as the chicken/egg the
            > > chicken came first. I'm refering to the
            > >
            > > biblical account of how the animals were created and set apon the
            > > earth. For non-believers I guess it's still a mystery. :)
            > >
            > > jamie in az
            > >
            > > . *** yep... that`s what i belive too jamie :~)
            > > and as for turning your lights off in a cave... been there.
            > > that`s about as total dark as i can imagin. i bet i could sleep & sleep
            > in
            > > a cave... if there was a way to hang my hammock w/o damaging the cave
            > walls.
            > >
            > > but you may have to hang a tarp just to keep from getting driped
            > > on. ...tim

            > > Camping hammock Camping food Rv camping Gsi outdoors
            > > Happy camper Outdoors

            > > ---------------------------------
            > >

            > > tim garner

            > Camping hammock Camping food Rv camping Gsi outdoors
            > Happy camper Outdoors

            > ---------------------------------
            >

            > tim garner

          • chcoa
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 5, 2006
              What a fun converstation. There are so many ways to approach topics
              like this. Brain teasers, I love em!!!

              Now to keep it on topic - when I sleep in my hammock I like to have
              darkenss so I usually pull my beanie down over my eyes and nose. This
              can be a bad thing when camping with restless tenters though. They
              will likey be up at the crack dawn with their aches and pains and if I
              don't stur for several hours they might start throwing things at me!!
              hahaha!

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Garlington" <rgarling@...>
              wrote:

              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "chcoa" <jdeben@> wrote:
              > >
              > > They both be true. Light is the absense of darkness and darkness
              is
              > > the absense of light.
              > >
              > This is true in logical conversation; however, the physics of the
              > matter is different. In other words, "Light" is something
              (photons),
              > the absense of photons we call darkness. So darkness is the absense
              > of light, but the absense of darkness has no real meaning. (but we
              > think we know what it means!)

            • Ralph Oborn
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 5, 2006
                like is light the absense of darkness or is darkness the absense of light.

                Coy Boy

                Let's settle this dark thing once and for all..
                From
                http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/5599/dark_sucker_2.html

                THE THEORY OF DARK SUCKERS

                *as presented by Paul Holmgren*

                with additions and corrections by Holly Stowe
                For years it was believed that light wes emitted from an electric bulb;
                recent information has proven otherwise - dark is sucked into the bulb -
                therefore, the bulb is a dark sucker.

                There are many types and sizes of dark suckers. The largest manufacturers of
                dark suckers are General Electric and Sylvania. Some modern dark suckers
                utilize solid power to operate properly. Solid power units can be purchased
                from Eveready, Exide, and Duracell.

                The dark sucker theory proves the existance of dark suckers as well as
                proving that dark is heaver than light. Some examples are as follows:

                Electric bulbs: There is less dark near the electric bulb than at a distance
                of 100 feet when it is operating; therefore, it is sucking dark and can be
                classified as a dark sucker. The larger the dark sucker, the greater the
                distance it can suck dark. The larger the dark sucker the greater its
                capacity of dark. The dark sucking capabilities are evident when the dark
                sucker has reached its capacity and will no longer suck dark. At that point
                you may notice the dark area on the inside portion of the dark sucker. The
                larger the dark sucker, the larger the area of dark found within. This type
                of dark sucker can be made directional by placing a shield around a portion
                of the unit or behind it. This will prevent dark from entering the dark
                sucker from that side thereby extending the range of the dark sucker on the
                unprotected/unshielded side.

                Sometimes to promote big events they use a really large directional dark
                sucker. You can see the dark sucked out of the sky in a long cylinder shape
                from miles away.

                Candles - primitive dark suckers: There is more dark 30 feet from a lit
                candle then there is at a distance of 3 feet. Proof of it's dark sucking
                capabilities is relatively simple. Examine a new unused candle, notice that
                the center core is not dark. Ignite the center core. Allow the center core
                to burn for about 5 minutes. Notice the lack of dark around the candle.
                Extinguish the candle flame. Notice that the center core of the candle is
                now dark. The center core is a dark sucker protected by a soft insulator to
                extend it's life expectancy and maintain rigidity to verify that this
                primitive dark sucker is operating properly. Ignite the center core and
                allow it to burn for a minimum of 2 minutes. Pass a clean pencil over the
                top of the flame, left to right, approximately 3 inches above the center
                core. Notice that there is no dark on the pencil. Pass the pencil over the
                center core now about 1/2 inch. Notice that the pencil now has a dark area.
                The pencil blocked the path of the dark being sucked to the core of the dark
                sucker. This type dark sucker is very primitive and does not suck dark any
                great distance nor does it have a large capacity.

                Dark sucker solid power units may be purchased locally at a variety of
                outlets. Size does not determine the life expectancy of the dark sucker
                solid power unit. These solid power units work with many modern dark
                suckers, and absorb dark from the dark sucker. The absorbed dark is
                converted to solid power within the unit.

                An example of the conversion of dark into solid power in the automobile of
                today. Notice an auto in use during dark hours. Two (possibly four) large
                dark suckers are located on the front. On the rear there are two (or 3)
                smaller dark suckers with red filters. You may also notice several dark
                suckers with yellow filters. These filters are required to remove a
                percentage of red and yellow from total dark so as to energize the solid
                power unit. The solid power unit permits the auto to be utilized during
                hours of no dark by the dark it has absorbed. The number of dark suckers
                varies with the age of the automobile. Newer automobile solid power units
                require a greater percentage of red filtered dark. Older units generally
                require more non-filtered dark. The solid power unit of the automobile has a
                dark interior. This can be proved by cutting the solid power unit in half.

                Dark is heavier than light. Dark always settles to the bottom of a lake
                and/or river. Submerge just below the surface of a lake and you will notice
                an absence of dark. Lower yourself to 15 feet below the surface and you will
                notice a degree of darkness even on a sunny, bright day. Lower yourself to
                50 feet (or more) below the surface and you are in total dark. Ergo, the
                dark has settled to the bottom; therefore, dark is heavier than light.
                Modern technology has allowed us to utilize the dark that has settled to the
                bottom of large rivers through the creation of turbines which push the dark
                downriver to the ocean, which has a larger holding capacity for dark and is
                a common safe storage location. As the dark is passed through the turbine, a
                percentage of solid power is removed and transmitted to various short term
                storage plants for many usages. Prior to turbines, it was much more
                difficult to move the dark from rivers to storage areas such as deep lakes
                or the ocean. The Indians would paddle their canoes very little and not very
                deeply if they were going in the direction of flow of dark so as not to slow
                it down. However, if they were traveling opposite the natural flow of dark,
                they would dig their paddles very deep and rapidly to assist the flow of
                dark to its ocean storage place.

                Dark is faster than light. If you would open a drawer very slowly, you will
                notice that the light goes into the drawer. (You can see this happen.) You
                cannot see the dark leave the drawer. Continue to open the drawer and light
                will continue to enter the drawer; however, you will not see any dark leave
                the drawer. Therefore, dark is faster than light. Go into a closet, close
                the door, and turn off the dark sucker. Have a friend open the door about 1
                inch. Your friend will not see any dark leave the closet, nor will you. Have
                your friend open the door until half the closet is dark and half is light.
                Since 2 objects cannot occupy the same space at the same time, and you do
                not feel any change in pressure, by compressing the dark, it is logical to
                assume that dark is faster than light.

                One last proof.

                What is a by-product of movement of dark? Heat. What is a by- product of
                dark suckers? Heat, again.

                The sun is probably the largest dark sucker and when the sun is out the dark
                is gone but a lot of heat is generated. If you get in the way of the sun
                sucking the dark for to long some of the reddish (weaker) dark may become
                attached to your skin. This can be painful. Avoid this at all costs.

                Therefore a dark sucker generates heat during its operation, sucking dark
                from the surrounding area.

                enjoy... :]
                Ralph

                Around here we take a lot of our dark and ship it by wire to the bottom of a
                big reservoir. If you dive down very deep guess what you see...... yup,
                dark!

                QED

                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 5, 2006

                    > ralph, ralph, ralph... how long did that person have to go to college to
                    > learn to make up stuff like that? i`m not going to be sucker enough to
                    > belive it :~} ...tim

                    14 years for the BS in physics
                    another 18 (and counting) for the masters in engineering

                    Towards the end of the physics degree, things started getting metaphysical.
                    Quantum mechanics, cosmology, "modern" physics, all have a little "you can't
                    really see this but have faith it's really here" type of stuff.

                    Ralph

                    PS "Theory of Dark" matches observable phenomena!

                  • Coy
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 5, 2006
                      folks, i apoligize that yall had to read this. if only i had not
                      posted the question.

                      Coy Boy
                      PS just in case yall dont know, ralph is a disgruntled displaced
                      tater farmer so go easy on him.

                      <Ralph.oborn@...> wrote:

                      > like is light the absense of darkness or is darkness the absense
                      of light.

                      > Coy Boy
                      >
                      > Let's settle this dark thing once and for all..
                      > From
                      > http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/5599/dark_sucker_2.html
                      >
                      > THE THEORY OF DARK SUCKERS
                      >
                      > *as presented by Paul Holmgren*
                      >
                      > with additions and corrections by Holly Stowe
                      > For years it was believed that light wes emitted from an electric
                      bulb;
                      > recent information has proven otherwise - dark is sucked into the
                      bulb -
                      > therefore, the bulb is a dark sucker.

                    • J.D. Hoessle
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 6, 2006
                        > folks, i apoligize that yall had to read this. if only i had not
                        > posted the question.
                        >
                        > Coy Boy
                        > PS just in case yall dont know, ralph is a disgruntled displaced
                        > tater farmer so go easy on him.

                        ...hehehe! Actually, I enjoyed every line! I was waiting for someone
                        to explain the total darkness in a cave and "How Come" I keep seeing
                        those little lightning flashes (static electricity). Or is that
                        "stalactite electricity"...? Does stalagmite suck the dark?

                        Happy Trails,

                        J.D.
                      • chcoa
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 8, 2006
                          hahahahaha!!! Well that solves it then. I'm convinced!!

                          Phx must have a ton of dark suckers, we generate a LOT of heat around
                          these parts. :)

                          jamie d