Re: Medical????

  • marta_clark
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 5, 2006
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "archidaveture"
      <archidaveture@...> wrote:

      > Has anyone found any good temporary medical insurance? I am a student
      > and plan to hike 3 months on the AT this summer.

      For our adult children, when they have not been covered by either our
      insurance or by university health plans, we/they have gotten BCBS
      individual plans. For people in their age brackets, with good health,
      the cost is relatively low. I think my daughter is paying around
      $150/month now. I don't know how exactly how medical evacuation from
      the AT would be treated by her insurance, but I wouldn't worry about
      that--concentrate on not needing it.

      Marta
    • J.D. Hoessle
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 5, 2006
        <archidaveture@...> wrote:
        > Has anyone found any good temporary medical insurance? I am a
        > student and plan to hike 3 months on the AT this summer. I think
        > that I should have some medical coverage for evacuation

        David,

        Marta's advice is great! Concentrate on NOT needing it...<g>...!

        First, I would check with your school to see what options they have.

        Fortunately, I have never needed it; but, when traveling
        out-of-the-country, I have always purchased "Travel Insurance". For
        $100 - $200 (up to 180 days), you are covered for just about
        *everything*. Including: Evacuation and they pay to have a family
        member or friend fly in to sit by your bedside and assist with the evac.

        Google "Travel Insurance" and call a few of them about what you are
        planning. I am not ceratin about "within" the USA...?

        IMHO, your best bet is thru your school. Your health dept. there
        should be able to make suggestions. You may ALREADY be covered during
        vacation....?

        Happy Trails,

        J.D.