Medical????

  • archidaveture
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4, 2006
      Has anyone found any good temporary medical insurance? I am a student
      and plan to hike 3 months on the AT this summer. I think that I should
      have some medical coverage for evacuation and what ever might happen,
      (like hammock falling in the middle of the night, and breaking my a**).

      Well.... seriously...any thoughts of coverage I may need and companies
      that you have delt with.

      Thanks for the info

      David
    • marta_clark
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 5, 2006
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "archidaveture"
        <archidaveture@...> wrote:

        > Has anyone found any good temporary medical insurance? I am a student
        > and plan to hike 3 months on the AT this summer.

        For our adult children, when they have not been covered by either our
        insurance or by university health plans, we/they have gotten BCBS
        individual plans. For people in their age brackets, with good health,
        the cost is relatively low. I think my daughter is paying around
        $150/month now. I don't know how exactly how medical evacuation from
        the AT would be treated by her insurance, but I wouldn't worry about
        that--concentrate on not needing it.

        Marta
      • J.D. Hoessle
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 5, 2006
          <archidaveture@...> wrote:
          > Has anyone found any good temporary medical insurance? I am a
          > student and plan to hike 3 months on the AT this summer. I think
          > that I should have some medical coverage for evacuation

          David,

          Marta's advice is great! Concentrate on NOT needing it...<g>...!

          First, I would check with your school to see what options they have.

          Fortunately, I have never needed it; but, when traveling
          out-of-the-country, I have always purchased "Travel Insurance". For
          $100 - $200 (up to 180 days), you are covered for just about
          *everything*. Including: Evacuation and they pay to have a family
          member or friend fly in to sit by your bedside and assist with the evac.

          Google "Travel Insurance" and call a few of them about what you are
          planning. I am not ceratin about "within" the USA...?

          IMHO, your best bet is thru your school. Your health dept. there
          should be able to make suggestions. You may ALREADY be covered during
          vacation....?

          Happy Trails,

          J.D.