Re: What,s the best underquilt for a Hennessy Hammock?

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 4, 2006
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "David Wills"
      <little_daddy979@...> wrote:

      > I modified my rayway quilt to be an underquilt. I undid the footbox
      > seam and added 18" velcro closure. This partially closed blocks off
      > escaping air. Drawstrings may work better, but I found that a mirage
      > style over/underquilt is the best option. I made mine 60" wide and 8
      > ft. long. The extra 6" wide and 20" long compared to the rayway quilt
      > aleviate the need for a top quilt saving weight.

      I'm not sure I'm following you. Your underquilt is wide enough to
      eliminate the need for a top quilt? You just wrap it under the
      hammock, then over you? 60 inches seems like it would not be wide
      enough to tuck in much after going over the edges of the
      hammock...unless your real skinny and have made your hammock narrow.
      got any pictures? FWIW my wisp has a girth of 62 inches and it will
      fit over me but there is no tucking involved.

      Coy Boy
    • Torsha P.
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 5, 2006
        Great idea Lil' Daddy! :-)

        <little_daddy979@...> wrote:

        > I modified my rayway quilt to be an underquilt. I undid the footbox
        > seam and added 18" velcro closure. This partially closed blocks off
        > escaping air. Drawstrings may work better, but I found that a
        mirage
        > style over/underquilt is the best option. I made mine 60" wide and
        8
        > ft. long. The extra 6" wide and 20" long compared to the rayway
        quilt
        > aleviate the need for a top quilt saving weight. I made mine out of
        > 1.3" primaloft, but a few layers of p3d would work too. I have
        taken
        > it down to 35* before a chill starts to take effect. I sleep hot
        > though. It weighs about 38 oz and doesnt require much cutting or
        patterns.
        > Just my 2 cents
        > David with no trailname
        >
        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Torsha P." <torpo23@> wrote:
        > >
        > > What's up Y'alll,
        > >
        > > In an effort to warm up my nights in my HH I've decided to take
        the
        > > plunge and construct myself an underquilt.
        > >
        > > Which is the best one in your opinion and are there any websites
        that
        > > have good intructions on constructing one?
        > >
        > > Thanks!
        > > torpo
        > > skree-fer

      • David Wills
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 5, 2006
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Torsha P." <torpo23@...> wrote:

          > Great idea Lil' Daddy! :-)

          Definatley not my idea, but thanks. To clarify, I found that my
          rayway quilt was almost wide enough to be used as an over/underquilt.
          I am relativley skinny (6'2, 170) and my hammock is only 46" wide.
          The 60" over/underquilt is just wide enough to close everywhere,
          although it helps to keep a 12" hole around my neck and face open.
          People larger than pretty skinny would want to add a bit of spare
          material to the sides, complicating the sewing process. Heres the
          link to mirages site:
          http://www.peak.org/~webdawg/Hammocking/Under-Over-Quilt/index.html

          David with no trailname