Re: What,s the best underquilt for a Hennessy Hammock?

  • David Wills
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 4, 2006
      I modified my rayway quilt to be an underquilt. I undid the footbox
      seam and added 18" velcro closure. This partially closed blocks off
      escaping air. Drawstrings may work better, but I found that a mirage
      style over/underquilt is the best option. I made mine 60" wide and 8
      ft. long. The extra 6" wide and 20" long compared to the rayway quilt
      aleviate the need for a top quilt saving weight. I made mine out of
      1.3" primaloft, but a few layers of p3d would work too. I have taken
      it down to 35* before a chill starts to take effect. I sleep hot
      though. It weighs about 38 oz and doesnt require much cutting or patterns.
      Just my 2 cents
      David with no trailname

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Torsha P." <torpo23@...> wrote:

      > What's up Y'alll,
      >
      > In an effort to warm up my nights in my HH I've decided to take the
      > plunge and construct myself an underquilt.
      >
      > Which is the best one in your opinion and are there any websites that
      > have good intructions on constructing one?
      >
      > Thanks!
      > torpo
      > skree-fer

    • Coy
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 4, 2006
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "David Wills"
        <little_daddy979@...> wrote:

        > I modified my rayway quilt to be an underquilt. I undid the footbox
        > seam and added 18" velcro closure. This partially closed blocks off
        > escaping air. Drawstrings may work better, but I found that a mirage
        > style over/underquilt is the best option. I made mine 60" wide and 8
        > ft. long. The extra 6" wide and 20" long compared to the rayway quilt
        > aleviate the need for a top quilt saving weight.

        I'm not sure I'm following you. Your underquilt is wide enough to
        eliminate the need for a top quilt? You just wrap it under the
        hammock, then over you? 60 inches seems like it would not be wide
        enough to tuck in much after going over the edges of the
        hammock...unless your real skinny and have made your hammock narrow.
        got any pictures? FWIW my wisp has a girth of 62 inches and it will
        fit over me but there is no tucking involved.

        Coy Boy
      • Torsha P.
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 5, 2006
          Great idea Lil' Daddy! :-)

          <little_daddy979@...> wrote:

          > I modified my rayway quilt to be an underquilt. I undid the footbox
          > seam and added 18" velcro closure. This partially closed blocks off
          > escaping air. Drawstrings may work better, but I found that a
          mirage
          > style over/underquilt is the best option. I made mine 60" wide and
          8
          > ft. long. The extra 6" wide and 20" long compared to the rayway
          quilt
          > aleviate the need for a top quilt saving weight. I made mine out of
          > 1.3" primaloft, but a few layers of p3d would work too. I have
          taken
          > it down to 35* before a chill starts to take effect. I sleep hot
          > though. It weighs about 38 oz and doesnt require much cutting or
          patterns.
          > Just my 2 cents
          > David with no trailname
          >
          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Torsha P." <torpo23@> wrote:
          > >
          > > What's up Y'alll,
          > >
          > > In an effort to warm up my nights in my HH I've decided to take
          the
          > > plunge and construct myself an underquilt.
          > >
          > > Which is the best one in your opinion and are there any websites
          that
          > > have good intructions on constructing one?
          > >
          > > Thanks!
          > > torpo
          > > skree-fer

        • David Wills
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 5, 2006
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Torsha P." <torpo23@...> wrote:

            > Great idea Lil' Daddy! :-)

            Definatley not my idea, but thanks. To clarify, I found that my
            rayway quilt was almost wide enough to be used as an over/underquilt.
            I am relativley skinny (6'2, 170) and my hammock is only 46" wide.
            The 60" over/underquilt is just wide enough to close everywhere,
            although it helps to keep a 12" hole around my neck and face open.
            People larger than pretty skinny would want to add a bit of spare
            material to the sides, complicating the sewing process. Heres the
            link to mirages site:
            http://www.peak.org/~webdawg/Hammocking/Under-Over-Quilt/index.html

            David with no trailname