Re: [Hammock Camping] What,s the best underquilt for a Hennessy Hammock?

  • joe_ulrich
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 4, 2006
      I recently (with my Mom's help, ok she did most of the work) made a
      quilt which I patterned similar to the JRB Old Rag Mtn. In doing the
      final accounting, I had saved about $40-50. Now that's not to say that
      it wasn't worth it. I made it with lighter fabrics and it weighs the
      same as my JRB Nest. A 3" quilt for the weight of a 2". I had it out
      two weekends ago and it got down to the mid 30's. Toasty warm on the
      bottom, but I was pushing the limits of the Nest.

      I bought the fabric at Thru-Hiker, the down from Ed and the thread and
      velcro from Jo-Ann Fabric.

      Peace,
      Joe

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Torsha P." <torpo23@...> wrote:

      > JRB's 3 season set is a bit out of my budget...any advice on the type
      > you can make on your own?
    • David Wills
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 4, 2006
        I modified my rayway quilt to be an underquilt. I undid the footbox
        seam and added 18" velcro closure. This partially closed blocks off
        escaping air. Drawstrings may work better, but I found that a mirage
        style over/underquilt is the best option. I made mine 60" wide and 8
        ft. long. The extra 6" wide and 20" long compared to the rayway quilt
        aleviate the need for a top quilt saving weight. I made mine out of
        1.3" primaloft, but a few layers of p3d would work too. I have taken
        it down to 35* before a chill starts to take effect. I sleep hot
        though. It weighs about 38 oz and doesnt require much cutting or patterns.
        Just my 2 cents
        David with no trailname

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Torsha P." <torpo23@...> wrote:

        > What's up Y'alll,
        >
        > In an effort to warm up my nights in my HH I've decided to take the
        > plunge and construct myself an underquilt.
        >
        > Which is the best one in your opinion and are there any websites that
        > have good intructions on constructing one?
        >
        > Thanks!
        > torpo
        > skree-fer

      • Coy
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 4, 2006
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "David Wills"
          <little_daddy979@...> wrote:

          > I modified my rayway quilt to be an underquilt. I undid the footbox
          > seam and added 18" velcro closure. This partially closed blocks off
          > escaping air. Drawstrings may work better, but I found that a mirage
          > style over/underquilt is the best option. I made mine 60" wide and 8
          > ft. long. The extra 6" wide and 20" long compared to the rayway quilt
          > aleviate the need for a top quilt saving weight.

          I'm not sure I'm following you. Your underquilt is wide enough to
          eliminate the need for a top quilt? You just wrap it under the
          hammock, then over you? 60 inches seems like it would not be wide
          enough to tuck in much after going over the edges of the
          hammock...unless your real skinny and have made your hammock narrow.
          got any pictures? FWIW my wisp has a girth of 62 inches and it will
          fit over me but there is no tucking involved.

          Coy Boy
        • Torsha P.
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 5, 2006
            Great idea Lil' Daddy! :-)

            <little_daddy979@...> wrote:

            > I modified my rayway quilt to be an underquilt. I undid the footbox
            > seam and added 18" velcro closure. This partially closed blocks off
            > escaping air. Drawstrings may work better, but I found that a
            mirage
            > style over/underquilt is the best option. I made mine 60" wide and
            8
            > ft. long. The extra 6" wide and 20" long compared to the rayway
            quilt
            > aleviate the need for a top quilt saving weight. I made mine out of
            > 1.3" primaloft, but a few layers of p3d would work too. I have
            taken
            > it down to 35* before a chill starts to take effect. I sleep hot
            > though. It weighs about 38 oz and doesnt require much cutting or
            patterns.
            > Just my 2 cents
            > David with no trailname
            >
            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Torsha P." <torpo23@> wrote:
            > >
            > > What's up Y'alll,
            > >
            > > In an effort to warm up my nights in my HH I've decided to take
            the
            > > plunge and construct myself an underquilt.
            > >
            > > Which is the best one in your opinion and are there any websites
            that
            > > have good intructions on constructing one?
            > >
            > > Thanks!
            > > torpo
            > > skree-fer

          • David Wills
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 5, 2006
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Torsha P." <torpo23@...> wrote:

              > Great idea Lil' Daddy! :-)

              Definatley not my idea, but thanks. To clarify, I found that my
              rayway quilt was almost wide enough to be used as an over/underquilt.
              I am relativley skinny (6'2, 170) and my hammock is only 46" wide.
              The 60" over/underquilt is just wide enough to close everywhere,
              although it helps to keep a 12" hole around my neck and face open.
              People larger than pretty skinny would want to add a bit of spare
              material to the sides, complicating the sewing process. Heres the
              link to mirages site:
              http://www.peak.org/~webdawg/Hammocking/Under-Over-Quilt/index.html

              David with no trailname