Re: modify hennessey bugnet?

  • jwj32542
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 3, 2006
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Dawn Harkins <dawnhark@...>
      wrote:

      > This is a question for all you experienced
      > gear-modifiers out there: Have any of you altered a
      > Hennessey (mine's the UL Backpacker Asym) so that the
      > netting is removable?

      There used to be pics in the photos section here (by Brian from Tampa)
      of a zippered net on the HH. I don't remember if it was completely
      removable or if it just zipped up and out of the way.

      One pic of it is here:
      http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingBugfree.html

      Jeff
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 4, 2006
        dawn... i removed the netting from my friend`s HH w/ the intention of sewing velcro around the edges so it could be used if needed. but i never have got around to adding the velcro.
        most of my time is spent in the mountians of nc, & fortunately i rarely have enough broblems w/ flying insects to want to use a net. but i`m sure the time will come. so when i do add velcro to the HH, i`ll let you know how it goes.
        the HH seemed to work great w/o the net, though i haven`t spent much time in it. i need to get it from my friend & use it to see what`s what.
        the idea w/ removing the net was that my friend (jerome) & i both liked the way the HH layed but didn`t care to be enclosed by netting unless it was actualy needed.
        i`ll borrow it again & play around more, then get back w/ you.
        and the hot water bottles... yeah!!! i don`t know why i wated so long to try that on my cold toes! ...tim

        Dawn Harkins <dawnhark@...> wrote:
        This is a question for all you experienced
        gear-modifiers out there: Have any of you altered a
        Hennessey (mine's the UL Backpacker Asym) so that the
        netting is removable?

        Dawn in Tahoe

        tim garner

      • Dawn Harkins
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 5, 2006
          Looking forward to it, Tim, thanks. I have a big
          head-net thingie--really a big mesh bag, covers head
          and torso to my waist--from Brawney...maybe if I took
          the netting off the HH I could just get by with
          that...

          I'm feeling a little foolish because I had not
          realized that the HH netting wasn't removeable. Oh
          well, I'll go forward from here.

          Coy, was it you who flipped the whole deal over? If
          that works, with ccf pad, I can leave the undercover
          at home...

          Dawn, really trying not to think too hard, lol

          From: tim garner <slowhike@...>

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 6, 2006
            > Dawn Harkins <dawnhark@...> wrote:
            > This is a question for all you experienced
            > gear-modifiers out there: Have any of you altered a
            > Hennessey (mine's the UL Backpacker Asym) so that the
            > netting is removable?

            Dawn,

            I removed the netting from my HH because I have a back injury and
            entering through the slit was painful. I now use it as a "top loader"
            for canoe trips (I use a lighter homemade hammock for backpacking). I
            now just attach netting to the ridgeline and let it drape over the
            sides. Another option would be a velcro closure. I have also sewn a
            small sleeve on the inside of the hammock at the tieout points. This
            allows me to use easton poles to hold the hammock open. Now I can
            rock myself to sleep.

            Brian
            T-BACK

              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 10, 2006
                > brian... i`d like to hear more about how you attached the sleves &
                > how they hold the poles.

                Tim,

                I will try to get some pics uploaded in the next few days. It is very
                simple to do. I'll bring the hammock to SEHHA so you can see it.

                Brian
                T-BACK