Re: [Hammock Camping] What,s the best underquilt for a Hennessy Hammock?

  • Joe Federici
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 3, 2006
      You might check if Ed or some of the fabric sites like Thru-hiker offer
      directions or a kits. The under quilt is basically a rectangular quilt
      with a slit where the opening is and some draw strings. I would think
      you could modify a regular quilt pattern from a fabric store like
      Jo-ann fabric. Construction and fabric type are another story.

      JFF

      On Apr 3, 2006, at 3:59 PM, Torsha P. wrote:

      JRB's 3 season set is a bit out of my budget...any advice on the type
      you can make on your own?

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Joe Federici <joefederici@...>
      wrote:

      > I was out 2 weekends ago and used JRB's 3 season set  and it got
      down
      > to around 20. I can't say it was the warmest I've ever been but
      when
      > you consider it's only rated to 30 it's really good. I've since
      learned
      > a few things and would have brought another bag, pad or some type
      bivy.

      > The only real cold spot was my feet and a pair of down slippers
      would
      > have cured it.
      >
      > JFF
      >

      > On Apr 3, 2006, at 11:35 AM, Torsha P. wrote:
      >
      > What's up Y'alll,
      >
      >   In an effort to warm up my nights in my HH I've decided to take
      the
      >   plunge and construct myself an underquilt.
      >
      >   Which is the best one in your opinion and are there any websites
      that
      >   have good intructions on constructing one?
      >
      >   Thanks!
      >   torpo
      >   skree-fer
      >

      > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
      >
      >       â–ª        Visit your group "hammockcamping" on the web.
      >
      >       â–ª        To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
      >
      >       â–ª        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
      Terms of
      > Service.

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      ▪  Visit your group "hammockcamping" on the web.

      ▪  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

      ▪  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
      Service.

    • joe_ulrich
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 4, 2006
        I recently (with my Mom's help, ok she did most of the work) made a
        quilt which I patterned similar to the JRB Old Rag Mtn. In doing the
        final accounting, I had saved about $40-50. Now that's not to say that
        it wasn't worth it. I made it with lighter fabrics and it weighs the
        same as my JRB Nest. A 3" quilt for the weight of a 2". I had it out
        two weekends ago and it got down to the mid 30's. Toasty warm on the
        bottom, but I was pushing the limits of the Nest.

        I bought the fabric at Thru-Hiker, the down from Ed and the thread and
        velcro from Jo-Ann Fabric.

        Peace,
        Joe

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Torsha P." <torpo23@...> wrote:

        > JRB's 3 season set is a bit out of my budget...any advice on the type
        > you can make on your own?
      • David Wills
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 4, 2006
          I modified my rayway quilt to be an underquilt. I undid the footbox
          seam and added 18" velcro closure. This partially closed blocks off
          escaping air. Drawstrings may work better, but I found that a mirage
          style over/underquilt is the best option. I made mine 60" wide and 8
          ft. long. The extra 6" wide and 20" long compared to the rayway quilt
          aleviate the need for a top quilt saving weight. I made mine out of
          1.3" primaloft, but a few layers of p3d would work too. I have taken
          it down to 35* before a chill starts to take effect. I sleep hot
          though. It weighs about 38 oz and doesnt require much cutting or patterns.
          Just my 2 cents
          David with no trailname

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Torsha P." <torpo23@...> wrote:

          > What's up Y'alll,
          >
          > In an effort to warm up my nights in my HH I've decided to take the
          > plunge and construct myself an underquilt.
          >
          > Which is the best one in your opinion and are there any websites that
          > have good intructions on constructing one?
          >
          > Thanks!
          > torpo
          > skree-fer

        • Coy
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 4, 2006
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "David Wills"
            <little_daddy979@...> wrote:

            > I modified my rayway quilt to be an underquilt. I undid the footbox
            > seam and added 18" velcro closure. This partially closed blocks off
            > escaping air. Drawstrings may work better, but I found that a mirage
            > style over/underquilt is the best option. I made mine 60" wide and 8
            > ft. long. The extra 6" wide and 20" long compared to the rayway quilt
            > aleviate the need for a top quilt saving weight.

            I'm not sure I'm following you. Your underquilt is wide enough to
            eliminate the need for a top quilt? You just wrap it under the
            hammock, then over you? 60 inches seems like it would not be wide
            enough to tuck in much after going over the edges of the
            hammock...unless your real skinny and have made your hammock narrow.
            got any pictures? FWIW my wisp has a girth of 62 inches and it will
            fit over me but there is no tucking involved.

            Coy Boy
          • Torsha P.
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 5, 2006
              Great idea Lil' Daddy! :-)

              <little_daddy979@...> wrote:

              > I modified my rayway quilt to be an underquilt. I undid the footbox
              > seam and added 18" velcro closure. This partially closed blocks off
              > escaping air. Drawstrings may work better, but I found that a
              mirage
              > style over/underquilt is the best option. I made mine 60" wide and
              8
              > ft. long. The extra 6" wide and 20" long compared to the rayway
              quilt
              > aleviate the need for a top quilt saving weight. I made mine out of
              > 1.3" primaloft, but a few layers of p3d would work too. I have
              taken
              > it down to 35* before a chill starts to take effect. I sleep hot
              > though. It weighs about 38 oz and doesnt require much cutting or
              patterns.
              > Just my 2 cents
              > David with no trailname
              >
              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Torsha P." <torpo23@> wrote:
              > >
              > > What's up Y'alll,
              > >
              > > In an effort to warm up my nights in my HH I've decided to take
              the
              > > plunge and construct myself an underquilt.
              > >
              > > Which is the best one in your opinion and are there any websites
              that
              > > have good intructions on constructing one?
              > >
              > > Thanks!
              > > torpo
              > > skree-fer

            • David Wills
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 5, 2006
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Torsha P." <torpo23@...> wrote:

                > Great idea Lil' Daddy! :-)

                Definatley not my idea, but thanks. To clarify, I found that my
                rayway quilt was almost wide enough to be used as an over/underquilt.
                I am relativley skinny (6'2, 170) and my hammock is only 46" wide.
                The 60" over/underquilt is just wide enough to close everywhere,
                although it helps to keep a 12" hole around my neck and face open.
                People larger than pretty skinny would want to add a bit of spare
                material to the sides, complicating the sewing process. Heres the
                link to mirages site:
                http://www.peak.org/~webdawg/Hammocking/Under-Over-Quilt/index.html

                David with no trailname