modify hennessey bugnet?

  • Dawn Harkins
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 3, 2006
      This is a question for all you experienced
      gear-modifiers out there: Have any of you altered a
      Hennessey (mine's the UL Backpacker Asym) so that the
      netting is removable?

      Dawn in Tahoe

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • jwj32542
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 3, 2006
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Dawn Harkins <dawnhark@...>
        wrote:

        > This is a question for all you experienced
        > gear-modifiers out there: Have any of you altered a
        > Hennessey (mine's the UL Backpacker Asym) so that the
        > netting is removable?

        There used to be pics in the photos section here (by Brian from Tampa)
        of a zippered net on the HH. I don't remember if it was completely
        removable or if it just zipped up and out of the way.

        One pic of it is here:
        http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingBugfree.html

        Jeff
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 4, 2006
          dawn... i removed the netting from my friend`s HH w/ the intention of sewing velcro around the edges so it could be used if needed. but i never have got around to adding the velcro.
          most of my time is spent in the mountians of nc, & fortunately i rarely have enough broblems w/ flying insects to want to use a net. but i`m sure the time will come. so when i do add velcro to the HH, i`ll let you know how it goes.
          the HH seemed to work great w/o the net, though i haven`t spent much time in it. i need to get it from my friend & use it to see what`s what.
          the idea w/ removing the net was that my friend (jerome) & i both liked the way the HH layed but didn`t care to be enclosed by netting unless it was actualy needed.
          i`ll borrow it again & play around more, then get back w/ you.
          and the hot water bottles... yeah!!! i don`t know why i wated so long to try that on my cold toes! ...tim

          Dawn Harkins <dawnhark@...> wrote:
          This is a question for all you experienced
          gear-modifiers out there: Have any of you altered a
          Hennessey (mine's the UL Backpacker Asym) so that the
          netting is removable?

          Dawn in Tahoe

          tim garner

        • Dawn Harkins
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 5, 2006
            Looking forward to it, Tim, thanks. I have a big
            head-net thingie--really a big mesh bag, covers head
            and torso to my waist--from Brawney...maybe if I took
            the netting off the HH I could just get by with
            that...

            I'm feeling a little foolish because I had not
            realized that the HH netting wasn't removeable. Oh
            well, I'll go forward from here.

            Coy, was it you who flipped the whole deal over? If
            that works, with ccf pad, I can leave the undercover
            at home...

            Dawn, really trying not to think too hard, lol

            From: tim garner <slowhike@...>

          • opnheartscrub@tampabay.rr.com
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 6, 2006
              > Dawn Harkins <dawnhark@...> wrote:
              > This is a question for all you experienced
              > gear-modifiers out there: Have any of you altered a
              > Hennessey (mine's the UL Backpacker Asym) so that the
              > netting is removable?

              Dawn,

              I removed the netting from my HH because I have a back injury and
              entering through the slit was painful. I now use it as a "top loader"
              for canoe trips (I use a lighter homemade hammock for backpacking). I
              now just attach netting to the ridgeline and let it drape over the
              sides. Another option would be a velcro closure. I have also sewn a
              small sleeve on the inside of the hammock at the tieout points. This
              allows me to use easton poles to hold the hammock open. Now I can
              rock myself to sleep.

              Brian
              T-BACK

                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 10, 2006
                  > brian... i`d like to hear more about how you attached the sleves &
                  > how they hold the poles.

                  Tim,

                  I will try to get some pics uploaded in the next few days. It is very
                  simple to do. I'll bring the hammock to SEHHA so you can see it.

                  Brian
                  T-BACK