Re: [Hammock Camping] What,s the best underquilt for a Hennessy Hammock?

  • Torsha P.
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 3, 2006
      JRB's 3 season set is a bit out of my budget...any advice on the type
      you can make on your own?

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Joe Federici <joefederici@...>
      wrote:

      > I was out 2 weekends ago and used JRB's 3 season set and it got
      down
      > to around 20. I can't say it was the warmest I've ever been but
      when
      > you consider it's only rated to 30 it's really good. I've since
      learned
      > a few things and would have brought another bag, pad or some type
      bivy.

      > The only real cold spot was my feet and a pair of down slippers
      would
      > have cured it.
      >
      > JFF
      >

      > On Apr 3, 2006, at 11:35 AM, Torsha P. wrote:
      >
      > What's up Y'alll,
      >
      > In an effort to warm up my nights in my HH I've decided to take
      the
      > plunge and construct myself an underquilt.
      >
      > Which is the best one in your opinion and are there any websites
      that
      > have good intructions on constructing one?
      >
      > Thanks!
      > torpo
      > skree-fer
      >

      > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
      >
      > ▪  Visit your group "hammockcamping" on the web.

      > ▪  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
      Terms of
      > Service.

    • Joe Federici
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 3, 2006
        You might check if Ed or some of the fabric sites like Thru-hiker offer
        directions or a kits. The under quilt is basically a rectangular quilt
        with a slit where the opening is and some draw strings. I would think
        you could modify a regular quilt pattern from a fabric store like
        Jo-ann fabric. Construction and fabric type are another story.

        JFF

        wrote:

        > I was out 2 weekends ago and used JRB's 3 season set  and it got
        down
        > to around 20. I can't say it was the warmest I've ever been but
        when
        > you consider it's only rated to 30 it's really good. I've since
        learned
        > a few things and would have brought another bag, pad or some type
        bivy.

        > The only real cold spot was my feet and a pair of down slippers
        would
        > have cured it.
        >
        > JFF
        >

        > On Apr 3, 2006, at 11:35 AM, Torsha P. wrote:
        >
        > What's up Y'alll,
        >
        >   In an effort to warm up my nights in my HH I've decided to take
        the
        >   plunge and construct myself an underquilt.
        >
        >   Which is the best one in your opinion and are there any websites
        that
        >   have good intructions on constructing one?
        >
        >   Thanks!
        >   torpo
        >   skree-fer
        >

        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        >
        >       â–ª        Visit your group "hammockcamping" on the web.
        >
        >       â–ª        To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
        >
        >       â–ª        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
        Terms of
        > Service.

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        ▪  Visit your group "hammockcamping" on the web.

        ▪  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

        ▪  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
        Service.

      • joe_ulrich
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 4, 2006
          I recently (with my Mom's help, ok she did most of the work) made a
          quilt which I patterned similar to the JRB Old Rag Mtn. In doing the
          final accounting, I had saved about $40-50. Now that's not to say that
          it wasn't worth it. I made it with lighter fabrics and it weighs the
          same as my JRB Nest. A 3" quilt for the weight of a 2". I had it out
          two weekends ago and it got down to the mid 30's. Toasty warm on the
          bottom, but I was pushing the limits of the Nest.

          I bought the fabric at Thru-Hiker, the down from Ed and the thread and
          velcro from Jo-Ann Fabric.

          Peace,
          Joe

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Torsha P." <torpo23@...> wrote:

          > JRB's 3 season set is a bit out of my budget...any advice on the type
          > you can make on your own?
        • David Wills
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 4, 2006
            I modified my rayway quilt to be an underquilt. I undid the footbox
            seam and added 18" velcro closure. This partially closed blocks off
            escaping air. Drawstrings may work better, but I found that a mirage
            style over/underquilt is the best option. I made mine 60" wide and 8
            ft. long. The extra 6" wide and 20" long compared to the rayway quilt
            aleviate the need for a top quilt saving weight. I made mine out of
            1.3" primaloft, but a few layers of p3d would work too. I have taken
            it down to 35* before a chill starts to take effect. I sleep hot
            though. It weighs about 38 oz and doesnt require much cutting or patterns.
            Just my 2 cents
            David with no trailname

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Torsha P." <torpo23@...> wrote:

            > What's up Y'alll,
            >
            > In an effort to warm up my nights in my HH I've decided to take the
            > plunge and construct myself an underquilt.
            >
            > Which is the best one in your opinion and are there any websites that
            > have good intructions on constructing one?
            >
            > Thanks!
            > torpo
            > skree-fer

          • Coy
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 4, 2006
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "David Wills"
              <little_daddy979@...> wrote:

              > I modified my rayway quilt to be an underquilt. I undid the footbox
              > seam and added 18" velcro closure. This partially closed blocks off
              > escaping air. Drawstrings may work better, but I found that a mirage
              > style over/underquilt is the best option. I made mine 60" wide and 8
              > ft. long. The extra 6" wide and 20" long compared to the rayway quilt
              > aleviate the need for a top quilt saving weight.

              I'm not sure I'm following you. Your underquilt is wide enough to
              eliminate the need for a top quilt? You just wrap it under the
              hammock, then over you? 60 inches seems like it would not be wide
              enough to tuck in much after going over the edges of the
              hammock...unless your real skinny and have made your hammock narrow.
              got any pictures? FWIW my wisp has a girth of 62 inches and it will
              fit over me but there is no tucking involved.

              Coy Boy
            • Torsha P.
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 5, 2006
                Great idea Lil' Daddy! :-)

                <little_daddy979@...> wrote:

                > I modified my rayway quilt to be an underquilt. I undid the footbox
                > seam and added 18" velcro closure. This partially closed blocks off
                > escaping air. Drawstrings may work better, but I found that a
                mirage
                > style over/underquilt is the best option. I made mine 60" wide and
                8
                > ft. long. The extra 6" wide and 20" long compared to the rayway
                quilt
                > aleviate the need for a top quilt saving weight. I made mine out of
                > 1.3" primaloft, but a few layers of p3d would work too. I have
                taken
                > it down to 35* before a chill starts to take effect. I sleep hot
                > though. It weighs about 38 oz and doesnt require much cutting or
                patterns.
                > Just my 2 cents
                > David with no trailname
                >
                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Torsha P." <torpo23@> wrote:
                > >
                > > What's up Y'alll,
                > >
                > > In an effort to warm up my nights in my HH I've decided to take
                the
                > > plunge and construct myself an underquilt.
                > >
                > > Which is the best one in your opinion and are there any websites
                that
                > > have good intructions on constructing one?
                > >
                > > Thanks!
                > > torpo
                > > skree-fer

              • David Wills
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 5, 2006
                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Torsha P." <torpo23@...> wrote:

                  > Great idea Lil' Daddy! :-)

                  Definatley not my idea, but thanks. To clarify, I found that my
                  rayway quilt was almost wide enough to be used as an over/underquilt.
                  I am relativley skinny (6'2, 170) and my hammock is only 46" wide.
                  The 60" over/underquilt is just wide enough to close everywhere,
                  although it helps to keep a 12" hole around my neck and face open.
                  People larger than pretty skinny would want to add a bit of spare
                  material to the sides, complicating the sewing process. Heres the
                  link to mirages site:
                  http://www.peak.org/~webdawg/Hammocking/Under-Over-Quilt/index.html

                  David with no trailname