Re: [Hammock Camping] What,s the best underquilt for a Hennessy Hammock?

  • Joe Federici
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 3, 2006
      I was out 2 weekends ago and used JRB's 3 season set and it got down
      to around 20. I can't say it was the warmest I've ever been but when
      you consider it's only rated to 30 it's really good. I've since learned
      a few things and would have brought another bag, pad or some type bivy.

      The only real cold spot was my feet and a pair of down slippers would
      have cured it.

      JFF

      On Apr 3, 2006, at 11:35 AM, Torsha P. wrote:

      What's up Y'alll,

      In an effort to warm up my nights in my HH I've decided to take the
      plunge and construct myself an underquilt.

      Which is the best one in your opinion and are there any websites that
      have good intructions on constructing one?

      Thanks!
      torpo
      skree-fer

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      ▪  Visit your group "hammockcamping" on the web.

      ▪  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

      ▪  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
      Service.

    • Torsha P.
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 3, 2006
        JRB's 3 season set is a bit out of my budget...any advice on the type
        you can make on your own?

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Joe Federici <joefederici@...>
        wrote:

        > I was out 2 weekends ago and used JRB's 3 season set and it got
        down
        > to around 20. I can't say it was the warmest I've ever been but
        when
        > you consider it's only rated to 30 it's really good. I've since
        learned
        > a few things and would have brought another bag, pad or some type
        bivy.

        > The only real cold spot was my feet and a pair of down slippers
        would
        > have cured it.
        >
        > JFF
        >

        > On Apr 3, 2006, at 11:35 AM, Torsha P. wrote:
        >
        > What's up Y'alll,
        >
        > In an effort to warm up my nights in my HH I've decided to take
        the
        > plunge and construct myself an underquilt.
        >
        > Which is the best one in your opinion and are there any websites
        that
        > have good intructions on constructing one?
        >
        > Thanks!
        > torpo
        > skree-fer
        >

        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        >
        > ▪  Visit your group "hammockcamping" on the web.

        > ▪  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
        Terms of
        > Service.

      • Joe Federici
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 3, 2006
          You might check if Ed or some of the fabric sites like Thru-hiker offer
          directions or a kits. The under quilt is basically a rectangular quilt
          with a slit where the opening is and some draw strings. I would think
          you could modify a regular quilt pattern from a fabric store like
          Jo-ann fabric. Construction and fabric type are another story.

          JFF

          wrote:

          > I was out 2 weekends ago and used JRB's 3 season set  and it got
          down
          > to around 20. I can't say it was the warmest I've ever been but
          when
          > you consider it's only rated to 30 it's really good. I've since
          learned
          > a few things and would have brought another bag, pad or some type
          bivy.

          > The only real cold spot was my feet and a pair of down slippers
          would
          > have cured it.
          >
          > JFF
          >

          > On Apr 3, 2006, at 11:35 AM, Torsha P. wrote:
          >
          > What's up Y'alll,
          >
          >   In an effort to warm up my nights in my HH I've decided to take
          the
          >   plunge and construct myself an underquilt.
          >
          >   Which is the best one in your opinion and are there any websites
          that
          >   have good intructions on constructing one?
          >
          >   Thanks!
          >   torpo
          >   skree-fer
          >

          > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
          >
          >       â–ª        Visit your group "hammockcamping" on the web.
          >
          >       â–ª        To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
          >
          >       â–ª        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
          Terms of
          > Service.

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          ▪  Visit your group "hammockcamping" on the web.

          ▪  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

          ▪  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
          Service.

        • joe_ulrich
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 4, 2006
            I recently (with my Mom's help, ok she did most of the work) made a
            quilt which I patterned similar to the JRB Old Rag Mtn. In doing the
            final accounting, I had saved about $40-50. Now that's not to say that
            it wasn't worth it. I made it with lighter fabrics and it weighs the
            same as my JRB Nest. A 3" quilt for the weight of a 2". I had it out
            two weekends ago and it got down to the mid 30's. Toasty warm on the
            bottom, but I was pushing the limits of the Nest.

            I bought the fabric at Thru-Hiker, the down from Ed and the thread and
            velcro from Jo-Ann Fabric.

            Peace,
            Joe

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Torsha P." <torpo23@...> wrote:

            > JRB's 3 season set is a bit out of my budget...any advice on the type
            > you can make on your own?
          • David Wills
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 4, 2006
              I modified my rayway quilt to be an underquilt. I undid the footbox
              seam and added 18" velcro closure. This partially closed blocks off
              escaping air. Drawstrings may work better, but I found that a mirage
              style over/underquilt is the best option. I made mine 60" wide and 8
              ft. long. The extra 6" wide and 20" long compared to the rayway quilt
              aleviate the need for a top quilt saving weight. I made mine out of
              1.3" primaloft, but a few layers of p3d would work too. I have taken
              it down to 35* before a chill starts to take effect. I sleep hot
              though. It weighs about 38 oz and doesnt require much cutting or patterns.
              Just my 2 cents
              David with no trailname

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Torsha P." <torpo23@...> wrote:

              > What's up Y'alll,
              >
              > In an effort to warm up my nights in my HH I've decided to take the
              > plunge and construct myself an underquilt.
              >
              > Which is the best one in your opinion and are there any websites that
              > have good intructions on constructing one?
              >
              > Thanks!
              > torpo
              > skree-fer

            • Coy
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 4, 2006
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "David Wills"
                <little_daddy979@...> wrote:

                > I modified my rayway quilt to be an underquilt. I undid the footbox
                > seam and added 18" velcro closure. This partially closed blocks off
                > escaping air. Drawstrings may work better, but I found that a mirage
                > style over/underquilt is the best option. I made mine 60" wide and 8
                > ft. long. The extra 6" wide and 20" long compared to the rayway quilt
                > aleviate the need for a top quilt saving weight.

                I'm not sure I'm following you. Your underquilt is wide enough to
                eliminate the need for a top quilt? You just wrap it under the
                hammock, then over you? 60 inches seems like it would not be wide
                enough to tuck in much after going over the edges of the
                hammock...unless your real skinny and have made your hammock narrow.
                got any pictures? FWIW my wisp has a girth of 62 inches and it will
                fit over me but there is no tucking involved.

                Coy Boy
              • Torsha P.
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 5, 2006
                  Great idea Lil' Daddy! :-)

                  <little_daddy979@...> wrote:

                  > I modified my rayway quilt to be an underquilt. I undid the footbox
                  > seam and added 18" velcro closure. This partially closed blocks off
                  > escaping air. Drawstrings may work better, but I found that a
                  mirage
                  > style over/underquilt is the best option. I made mine 60" wide and
                  8
                  > ft. long. The extra 6" wide and 20" long compared to the rayway
                  quilt
                  > aleviate the need for a top quilt saving weight. I made mine out of
                  > 1.3" primaloft, but a few layers of p3d would work too. I have
                  taken
                  > it down to 35* before a chill starts to take effect. I sleep hot
                  > though. It weighs about 38 oz and doesnt require much cutting or
                  patterns.
                  > Just my 2 cents
                  > David with no trailname
                  >
                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Torsha P." <torpo23@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > What's up Y'alll,
                  > >
                  > > In an effort to warm up my nights in my HH I've decided to take
                  the
                  > > plunge and construct myself an underquilt.
                  > >
                  > > Which is the best one in your opinion and are there any websites
                  that
                  > > have good intructions on constructing one?
                  > >
                  > > Thanks!
                  > > torpo
                  > > skree-fer

                • David Wills
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 5, 2006
                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Torsha P." <torpo23@...> wrote:

                    > Great idea Lil' Daddy! :-)

                    Definatley not my idea, but thanks. To clarify, I found that my
                    rayway quilt was almost wide enough to be used as an over/underquilt.
                    I am relativley skinny (6'2, 170) and my hammock is only 46" wide.
                    The 60" over/underquilt is just wide enough to close everywhere,
                    although it helps to keep a 12" hole around my neck and face open.
                    People larger than pretty skinny would want to add a bit of spare
                    material to the sides, complicating the sewing process. Heres the
                    link to mirages site:
                    http://www.peak.org/~webdawg/Hammocking/Under-Over-Quilt/index.html

                    David with no trailname