What,s the best underquilt for a Hennessy Hammock?

  • Torsha P.
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 3, 2006
      What's up Y'alll,

      In an effort to warm up my nights in my HH I've decided to take the
      plunge and construct myself an underquilt.

      Which is the best one in your opinion and are there any websites that
      have good intructions on constructing one?

      Thanks!
      torpo
      skree-fer
    • jwj32542
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 3, 2006
        "Best" is different for everyone. There are two commercial ones -
        JRB and KAQ (both post here) - and both have advantages.

        JRBs are down, more compressible and lighter than the KAQ. They can
        also be worn as camp insulation so you may not need a jacket for
        unexpected cold evenings...could save you another 10-20 oz. But
        they're expensive. They used to come only in bright green, but now
        you can get some of them in black or orange.

        KAQs are synthetic and quite a bit cheaper than JRB's, but heavier
        and you can't wear them like a poncho/serape. But they're also
        bathtub shaped instead of the rectangle JRBs, and I think that makes
        it easier to get a good warm fit. Patrick has several color options
        to choose from, too.

        I sleep cold, and I can be comfortable to high 30s in my JRB Nest
        with a 2 oz overstuff. Based on my 36F night this past Saturday, I
        think I could be comfortable to about 30F in my standard KAQ Potomac.

        For DIY - Patrick has instructions on his page, and at one time he
        was talking about selling kits...dunno if he's added those yet.
        Otherwise, there's a pattern for a down underquilt at www.thru-
        hiker.com and a synthetic one at
        http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearKidsHammock.html (just change
        the dimensions).

        Hope this helps!

        Jeff
      • Joe Federici
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 3, 2006
          I was out 2 weekends ago and used JRB's 3 season set and it got down
          to around 20. I can't say it was the warmest I've ever been but when
          you consider it's only rated to 30 it's really good. I've since learned
          a few things and would have brought another bag, pad or some type bivy.

          The only real cold spot was my feet and a pair of down slippers would
          have cured it.

          JFF

          On Apr 3, 2006, at 11:35 AM, Torsha P. wrote:

          What's up Y'alll,

          In an effort to warm up my nights in my HH I've decided to take the
          plunge and construct myself an underquilt.

          Which is the best one in your opinion and are there any websites that
          have good intructions on constructing one?

          Thanks!
          torpo
          skree-fer

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          ▪  Visit your group "hammockcamping" on the web.

          ▪  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

          ▪  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
          Service.

        • Torsha P.
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 3, 2006
            JRB's 3 season set is a bit out of my budget...any advice on the type
            you can make on your own?

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Joe Federici <joefederici@...>
            wrote:

            > I was out 2 weekends ago and used JRB's 3 season set and it got
            down
            > to around 20. I can't say it was the warmest I've ever been but
            when
            > you consider it's only rated to 30 it's really good. I've since
            learned
            > a few things and would have brought another bag, pad or some type
            bivy.

            > The only real cold spot was my feet and a pair of down slippers
            would
            > have cured it.
            >
            > JFF
            >

            > On Apr 3, 2006, at 11:35 AM, Torsha P. wrote:
            >
            > What's up Y'alll,
            >
            > In an effort to warm up my nights in my HH I've decided to take
            the
            > plunge and construct myself an underquilt.
            >
            > Which is the best one in your opinion and are there any websites
            that
            > have good intructions on constructing one?
            >
            > Thanks!
            > torpo
            > skree-fer
            >

            > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
            >
            > ▪  Visit your group "hammockcamping" on the web.

            > ▪  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
            Terms of
            > Service.

          • Joe Federici
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 3, 2006
              You might check if Ed or some of the fabric sites like Thru-hiker offer
              directions or a kits. The under quilt is basically a rectangular quilt
              with a slit where the opening is and some draw strings. I would think
              you could modify a regular quilt pattern from a fabric store like
              Jo-ann fabric. Construction and fabric type are another story.

              JFF

              wrote:

              > I was out 2 weekends ago and used JRB's 3 season set  and it got
              down
              > to around 20. I can't say it was the warmest I've ever been but
              when
              > you consider it's only rated to 30 it's really good. I've since
              learned
              > a few things and would have brought another bag, pad or some type
              bivy.

              > The only real cold spot was my feet and a pair of down slippers
              would
              > have cured it.
              >
              > JFF
              >

              > On Apr 3, 2006, at 11:35 AM, Torsha P. wrote:
              >
              > What's up Y'alll,
              >
              >   In an effort to warm up my nights in my HH I've decided to take
              the
              >   plunge and construct myself an underquilt.
              >
              >   Which is the best one in your opinion and are there any websites
              that
              >   have good intructions on constructing one?
              >
              >   Thanks!
              >   torpo
              >   skree-fer
              >

              > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
              >
              >       â–ª        Visit your group "hammockcamping" on the web.
              >
              >       â–ª        To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
              >
              >       â–ª        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
              Terms of
              > Service.

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              ▪  Visit your group "hammockcamping" on the web.

              ▪  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

              ▪  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
              Service.

            • joe_ulrich
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 4, 2006
                I recently (with my Mom's help, ok she did most of the work) made a
                quilt which I patterned similar to the JRB Old Rag Mtn. In doing the
                final accounting, I had saved about $40-50. Now that's not to say that
                it wasn't worth it. I made it with lighter fabrics and it weighs the
                same as my JRB Nest. A 3" quilt for the weight of a 2". I had it out
                two weekends ago and it got down to the mid 30's. Toasty warm on the
                bottom, but I was pushing the limits of the Nest.

                I bought the fabric at Thru-Hiker, the down from Ed and the thread and
                velcro from Jo-Ann Fabric.

                Peace,
                Joe

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Torsha P." <torpo23@...> wrote:

                > JRB's 3 season set is a bit out of my budget...any advice on the type
                > you can make on your own?
              • David Wills
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 4, 2006
                  I modified my rayway quilt to be an underquilt. I undid the footbox
                  seam and added 18" velcro closure. This partially closed blocks off
                  escaping air. Drawstrings may work better, but I found that a mirage
                  style over/underquilt is the best option. I made mine 60" wide and 8
                  ft. long. The extra 6" wide and 20" long compared to the rayway quilt
                  aleviate the need for a top quilt saving weight. I made mine out of
                  1.3" primaloft, but a few layers of p3d would work too. I have taken
                  it down to 35* before a chill starts to take effect. I sleep hot
                  though. It weighs about 38 oz and doesnt require much cutting or patterns.
                  Just my 2 cents
                  David with no trailname

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Torsha P." <torpo23@...> wrote:

                  > What's up Y'alll,
                  >
                  > In an effort to warm up my nights in my HH I've decided to take the
                  > plunge and construct myself an underquilt.
                  >
                  > Which is the best one in your opinion and are there any websites that
                  > have good intructions on constructing one?
                  >
                  > Thanks!
                  > torpo
                  > skree-fer

                • Coy
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 4, 2006
                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "David Wills"
                    <little_daddy979@...> wrote:

                    > I modified my rayway quilt to be an underquilt. I undid the footbox
                    > seam and added 18" velcro closure. This partially closed blocks off
                    > escaping air. Drawstrings may work better, but I found that a mirage
                    > style over/underquilt is the best option. I made mine 60" wide and 8
                    > ft. long. The extra 6" wide and 20" long compared to the rayway quilt
                    > aleviate the need for a top quilt saving weight.

                    I'm not sure I'm following you. Your underquilt is wide enough to
                    eliminate the need for a top quilt? You just wrap it under the
                    hammock, then over you? 60 inches seems like it would not be wide
                    enough to tuck in much after going over the edges of the
                    hammock...unless your real skinny and have made your hammock narrow.
                    got any pictures? FWIW my wisp has a girth of 62 inches and it will
                    fit over me but there is no tucking involved.

                    Coy Boy
                  • Torsha P.
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 5, 2006
                      Great idea Lil' Daddy! :-)

                      <little_daddy979@...> wrote:

                      > I modified my rayway quilt to be an underquilt. I undid the footbox
                      > seam and added 18" velcro closure. This partially closed blocks off
                      > escaping air. Drawstrings may work better, but I found that a
                      mirage
                      > style over/underquilt is the best option. I made mine 60" wide and
                      8
                      > ft. long. The extra 6" wide and 20" long compared to the rayway
                      quilt
                      > aleviate the need for a top quilt saving weight. I made mine out of
                      > 1.3" primaloft, but a few layers of p3d would work too. I have
                      taken
                      > it down to 35* before a chill starts to take effect. I sleep hot
                      > though. It weighs about 38 oz and doesnt require much cutting or
                      patterns.
                      > Just my 2 cents
                      > David with no trailname
                      >
                      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Torsha P." <torpo23@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > What's up Y'alll,
                      > >
                      > > In an effort to warm up my nights in my HH I've decided to take
                      the
                      > > plunge and construct myself an underquilt.
                      > >
                      > > Which is the best one in your opinion and are there any websites
                      that
                      > > have good intructions on constructing one?
                      > >
                      > > Thanks!
                      > > torpo
                      > > skree-fer

                    • David Wills
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 5, 2006
                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Torsha P." <torpo23@...> wrote:

                        > Great idea Lil' Daddy! :-)

                        Definatley not my idea, but thanks. To clarify, I found that my
                        rayway quilt was almost wide enough to be used as an over/underquilt.
                        I am relativley skinny (6'2, 170) and my hammock is only 46" wide.
                        The 60" over/underquilt is just wide enough to close everywhere,
                        although it helps to keep a 12" hole around my neck and face open.
                        People larger than pretty skinny would want to add a bit of spare
                        material to the sides, complicating the sewing process. Heres the
                        link to mirages site:
                        http://www.peak.org/~webdawg/Hammocking/Under-Over-Quilt/index.html

                        David with no trailname