Re: microporous polypropylene fabric

  • jwj32542
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 31, 2006
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "seuss910" <wrv77@...> wrote:

      > OWF carries Duravent - the three layer microporous polypropylene
      used
      > in FroggToggs. It's a bit heavier than the the 2 layer stuff used in
      > DriDucks and that JRB uses for the weathershield.

      Looks like that stuff would work, and it's half the price of GoreTex,
      too. I wonder if the third layer would decrease breathability. Guess
      it would increase the water resistance, though.

      It bugs me that stuff like that is listed as "water resistant" just
      like normal DWR - I understand that it's only waterproof to certain
      pressures and all that technical stuff, but GoreTex and the like are
      suitable for rain gear, which makes them "waterproof enough"...it
      would sure be helpful if they listed it that way!

      Thanks for the link, seuss. I didn't realize Duravent was almost the
      same thing I was looking for...might have to rethink that hammock bivy
      now.

      Jeff
    • tanpuma
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 3, 2006
        I saw this fabric at my local Joannes fabric store, it was in camo
        color with the other camo fabrics. They sell online, however I do not
        know if it was fully waterproof, looked pretty flimsy. People use it
        to make blinds. THen again the suits they sell out of it are pretty
        flimsy too.
        Liam