Re: microporous polypropylene fabric

  • seuss910
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 30, 2006
      OWF carries Duravent - the three layer microporous polypropylene used
      in FroggToggs. It's a bit heavier than the the 2 layer stuff used in
      DriDucks and that JRB uses for the weathershield.

      http://www.owfinc.com/Fabrics/NylonWoven/WaterresistBreathable.asp#Durav
      ent

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Joe Federici <joefederici@...>
      wrote:

      > Please excuse the cross post:
      >
      > I'm interested in making a windproof, water resistant and outer
      shield
      > for my quilt used on my hammock. The fabric that comes to mind is a
      > microporous polypropylene like used on a few of the less expensive
      rain
      > suits. Does anyone know of a source to by it. I look on a few of the
      > outdoor fabric site but didn't see anything.
      >
      > thanks
      >
      > Joe F

    • jwj32542
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 31, 2006
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "seuss910" <wrv77@...> wrote:

        > OWF carries Duravent - the three layer microporous polypropylene
        used
        > in FroggToggs. It's a bit heavier than the the 2 layer stuff used in
        > DriDucks and that JRB uses for the weathershield.

        Looks like that stuff would work, and it's half the price of GoreTex,
        too. I wonder if the third layer would decrease breathability. Guess
        it would increase the water resistance, though.

        It bugs me that stuff like that is listed as "water resistant" just
        like normal DWR - I understand that it's only waterproof to certain
        pressures and all that technical stuff, but GoreTex and the like are
        suitable for rain gear, which makes them "waterproof enough"...it
        would sure be helpful if they listed it that way!

        Thanks for the link, seuss. I didn't realize Duravent was almost the
        same thing I was looking for...might have to rethink that hammock bivy
        now.

        Jeff
      • tanpuma
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 3, 2006
          I saw this fabric at my local Joannes fabric store, it was in camo
          color with the other camo fabrics. They sell online, however I do not
          know if it was fully waterproof, looked pretty flimsy. People use it
          to make blinds. THen again the suits they sell out of it are pretty
          flimsy too.
          Liam