Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: microporous polypropylene fabric

  • Joe Federici
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 30, 2006
      How about other suitable fabrics? Epic Malibu By Nextec is light and
      breathable as well.

      JFF
      On Mar 30, 2006, at 1:06 PM, jwj32542 wrote:

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Joe Federici <joefederici@...>
      wrote:
      > The fabric that comes to mind is a
      > microporous polypropylene like used on a few of the less expensive
      rain
      > suits. Does anyone know of a source to by it. I look on a few of the
      > outdoor fabric site but didn't see anything.

      I looked for a while and didn't find anything other than medical
      products - which were rolls in widths of 2", 4", 6", etc.  Nothing
      suitable for our purposes.  JRB buys big huge rolls, so their supplier
      isn't really appropriate for our use, either.

      Best option I could find was to buy the Weather Shield and use it for
      fabric.  I haven't done that because I don't want to worry about seams
      on top of my hammock bivy, and the WS isn't quite big enough to do
      that.

      Still interested in a few big sheets of it if you happen to find a
      better source.

      Jeff

      Camping hammock
      Camping food
      Rv camping
      Gsi outdoors
      Happy camper
      Outdoors

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      ▪  Visit your group "hammockcamping" on the web.

      ▪  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

      ▪  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
      Service.

    • seuss910
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 30, 2006
        OWF carries Duravent - the three layer microporous polypropylene used
        in FroggToggs. It's a bit heavier than the the 2 layer stuff used in
        DriDucks and that JRB uses for the weathershield.

        http://www.owfinc.com/Fabrics/NylonWoven/WaterresistBreathable.asp#Durav
        ent

        wrote:

        > Please excuse the cross post:
        >
        > I'm interested in making a windproof, water resistant and outer
        shield
        > for my quilt used on my hammock. The fabric that comes to mind is a
        > microporous polypropylene like used on a few of the less expensive
        rain
        > suits. Does anyone know of a source to by it. I look on a few of the
        > outdoor fabric site but didn't see anything.
        >
        > thanks
        >
        > Joe F

      • jwj32542
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 31, 2006
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "seuss910" <wrv77@...> wrote:

          > OWF carries Duravent - the three layer microporous polypropylene
          used
          > in FroggToggs. It's a bit heavier than the the 2 layer stuff used in
          > DriDucks and that JRB uses for the weathershield.

          Looks like that stuff would work, and it's half the price of GoreTex,
          too. I wonder if the third layer would decrease breathability. Guess
          it would increase the water resistance, though.

          It bugs me that stuff like that is listed as "water resistant" just
          like normal DWR - I understand that it's only waterproof to certain
          pressures and all that technical stuff, but GoreTex and the like are
          suitable for rain gear, which makes them "waterproof enough"...it
          would sure be helpful if they listed it that way!

          Thanks for the link, seuss. I didn't realize Duravent was almost the
          same thing I was looking for...might have to rethink that hammock bivy
          now.

          Jeff
        • tanpuma
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 3, 2006
            I saw this fabric at my local Joannes fabric store, it was in camo
            color with the other camo fabrics. They sell online, however I do not
            know if it was fully waterproof, looked pretty flimsy. People use it
            to make blinds. THen again the suits they sell out of it are pretty
            flimsy too.
            Liam