Re: microporous polypropylene fabric

  • Bill in Houston
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 30, 2006
      JRB might sell you a few yards...

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jwj32542" <jwj32542@...>
      wrote:

      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Joe Federici <joefederici@>
      > wrote:
      > > The fabric that comes to mind is a
      > > microporous polypropylene like used on a few of the less
      expensive
      > rain
      > > suits. Does anyone know of a source to by it. I look on a few of
      the
      > > outdoor fabric site but didn't see anything.
      >
      > I looked for a while and didn't find anything other than medical
      > products - which were rolls in widths of 2", 4", 6", etc. Nothing
      > suitable for our purposes. JRB buys big huge rolls, so their
      supplier
      > isn't really appropriate for our use, either.
      >
      > Best option I could find was to buy the Weather Shield and use it
      for
      > fabric. I haven't done that because I don't want to worry about
      seams
      > on top of my hammock bivy, and the WS isn't quite big enough to do
      > that.
      >
      > Still interested in a few big sheets of it if you happen to find a
      > better source.
      >
      > Jeff

    • Joe Federici
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 30, 2006
        How about other suitable fabrics? Epic Malibu By Nextec is light and
        breathable as well.

        JFF

        wrote:
        > The fabric that comes to mind is a
        > microporous polypropylene like used on a few of the less expensive
        rain
        > suits. Does anyone know of a source to by it. I look on a few of the
        > outdoor fabric site but didn't see anything.

        I looked for a while and didn't find anything other than medical
        products - which were rolls in widths of 2", 4", 6", etc.  Nothing
        suitable for our purposes.  JRB buys big huge rolls, so their supplier
        isn't really appropriate for our use, either.

        Best option I could find was to buy the Weather Shield and use it for
        fabric.  I haven't done that because I don't want to worry about seams
        on top of my hammock bivy, and the WS isn't quite big enough to do
        that.

        Still interested in a few big sheets of it if you happen to find a
        better source.

        Jeff

        Camping hammock
        Camping food
        Rv camping
        Gsi outdoors
        Happy camper
        Outdoors

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        ▪  Visit your group "hammockcamping" on the web.

        ▪  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

        ▪  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
        Service.

      • seuss910
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 30, 2006
          OWF carries Duravent - the three layer microporous polypropylene used
          in FroggToggs. It's a bit heavier than the the 2 layer stuff used in
          DriDucks and that JRB uses for the weathershield.

          http://www.owfinc.com/Fabrics/NylonWoven/WaterresistBreathable.asp#Durav
          ent

          wrote:

          > Please excuse the cross post:
          >
          > I'm interested in making a windproof, water resistant and outer
          shield
          > for my quilt used on my hammock. The fabric that comes to mind is a
          > microporous polypropylene like used on a few of the less expensive
          rain
          > suits. Does anyone know of a source to by it. I look on a few of the
          > outdoor fabric site but didn't see anything.
          >
          > thanks
          >
          > Joe F

        • jwj32542
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 31, 2006
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "seuss910" <wrv77@...> wrote:

            > OWF carries Duravent - the three layer microporous polypropylene
            used
            > in FroggToggs. It's a bit heavier than the the 2 layer stuff used in
            > DriDucks and that JRB uses for the weathershield.

            Looks like that stuff would work, and it's half the price of GoreTex,
            too. I wonder if the third layer would decrease breathability. Guess
            it would increase the water resistance, though.

            It bugs me that stuff like that is listed as "water resistant" just
            like normal DWR - I understand that it's only waterproof to certain
            pressures and all that technical stuff, but GoreTex and the like are
            suitable for rain gear, which makes them "waterproof enough"...it
            would sure be helpful if they listed it that way!

            Thanks for the link, seuss. I didn't realize Duravent was almost the
            same thing I was looking for...might have to rethink that hammock bivy
            now.

            Jeff
          • tanpuma
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 3 5:19 PM
              I saw this fabric at my local Joannes fabric store, it was in camo
              color with the other camo fabrics. They sell online, however I do not
              know if it was fully waterproof, looked pretty flimsy. People use it
              to make blinds. THen again the suits they sell out of it are pretty
              flimsy too.
              Liam