Re: microporous polypropylene fabric

  • jwj32542
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 30, 2006
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Joe Federici <joefederici@...>
      wrote:
      > The fabric that comes to mind is a
      > microporous polypropylene like used on a few of the less expensive
      rain
      > suits. Does anyone know of a source to by it. I look on a few of the
      > outdoor fabric site but didn't see anything.

      I looked for a while and didn't find anything other than medical
      products - which were rolls in widths of 2", 4", 6", etc. Nothing
      suitable for our purposes. JRB buys big huge rolls, so their supplier
      isn't really appropriate for our use, either.

      Best option I could find was to buy the Weather Shield and use it for
      fabric. I haven't done that because I don't want to worry about seams
      on top of my hammock bivy, and the WS isn't quite big enough to do
      that.

      Still interested in a few big sheets of it if you happen to find a
      better source.

      Jeff
    • Bill in Houston
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 30, 2006
        JRB might sell you a few yards...

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jwj32542" <jwj32542@...>
        wrote:

        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Joe Federici <joefederici@>
        > wrote:
        > > The fabric that comes to mind is a
        > > microporous polypropylene like used on a few of the less
        expensive
        > rain
        > > suits. Does anyone know of a source to by it. I look on a few of
        the
        > > outdoor fabric site but didn't see anything.
        >
        > I looked for a while and didn't find anything other than medical
        > products - which were rolls in widths of 2", 4", 6", etc. Nothing
        > suitable for our purposes. JRB buys big huge rolls, so their
        supplier
        > isn't really appropriate for our use, either.
        >
        > Best option I could find was to buy the Weather Shield and use it
        for
        > fabric. I haven't done that because I don't want to worry about
        seams
        > on top of my hammock bivy, and the WS isn't quite big enough to do
        > that.
        >
        > Still interested in a few big sheets of it if you happen to find a
        > better source.
        >
        > Jeff

      • Joe Federici
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 30, 2006
          How about other suitable fabrics? Epic Malibu By Nextec is light and
          breathable as well.

          JFF

          wrote:
          > The fabric that comes to mind is a
          > microporous polypropylene like used on a few of the less expensive
          rain
          > suits. Does anyone know of a source to by it. I look on a few of the
          > outdoor fabric site but didn't see anything.

          I looked for a while and didn't find anything other than medical
          products - which were rolls in widths of 2", 4", 6", etc.  Nothing
          suitable for our purposes.  JRB buys big huge rolls, so their supplier
          isn't really appropriate for our use, either.

          Best option I could find was to buy the Weather Shield and use it for
          fabric.  I haven't done that because I don't want to worry about seams
          on top of my hammock bivy, and the WS isn't quite big enough to do
          that.

          Still interested in a few big sheets of it if you happen to find a
          better source.

          Jeff

          Camping hammock
          Camping food
          Rv camping
          Gsi outdoors
          Happy camper
          Outdoors

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          ▪  Visit your group "hammockcamping" on the web.

          ▪  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

          ▪  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
          Service.

        • seuss910
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 30, 2006
            OWF carries Duravent - the three layer microporous polypropylene used
            in FroggToggs. It's a bit heavier than the the 2 layer stuff used in
            DriDucks and that JRB uses for the weathershield.

            http://www.owfinc.com/Fabrics/NylonWoven/WaterresistBreathable.asp#Durav
            ent

            wrote:

            > Please excuse the cross post:
            >
            > I'm interested in making a windproof, water resistant and outer
            shield
            > for my quilt used on my hammock. The fabric that comes to mind is a
            > microporous polypropylene like used on a few of the less expensive
            rain
            > suits. Does anyone know of a source to by it. I look on a few of the
            > outdoor fabric site but didn't see anything.
            >
            > thanks
            >
            > Joe F

          • jwj32542
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 31, 2006
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "seuss910" <wrv77@...> wrote:

              > OWF carries Duravent - the three layer microporous polypropylene
              used
              > in FroggToggs. It's a bit heavier than the the 2 layer stuff used in
              > DriDucks and that JRB uses for the weathershield.

              Looks like that stuff would work, and it's half the price of GoreTex,
              too. I wonder if the third layer would decrease breathability. Guess
              it would increase the water resistance, though.

              It bugs me that stuff like that is listed as "water resistant" just
              like normal DWR - I understand that it's only waterproof to certain
              pressures and all that technical stuff, but GoreTex and the like are
              suitable for rain gear, which makes them "waterproof enough"...it
              would sure be helpful if they listed it that way!

              Thanks for the link, seuss. I didn't realize Duravent was almost the
              same thing I was looking for...might have to rethink that hammock bivy
              now.

              Jeff
            • tanpuma
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 3, 2006
                I saw this fabric at my local Joannes fabric store, it was in camo
                color with the other camo fabrics. They sell online, however I do not
                know if it was fully waterproof, looked pretty flimsy. People use it
                to make blinds. THen again the suits they sell out of it are pretty
                flimsy too.
                Liam