microporous polypropylene fabric

  • Joe Federici
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 30 9:51 AM
      Please excuse the cross post:

      I'm interested in making a windproof, water resistant and outer shield
      for my quilt used on my hammock. The fabric that comes to mind is a
      microporous polypropylene like used on a few of the less expensive rain
      suits. Does anyone know of a source to by it. I look on a few of the
      outdoor fabric site but didn't see anything.

      thanks

      Joe F
    • jwj32542
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 30 10:06 AM
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Joe Federici <joefederici@...>
        wrote:
        > The fabric that comes to mind is a
        > microporous polypropylene like used on a few of the less expensive
        rain
        > suits. Does anyone know of a source to by it. I look on a few of the
        > outdoor fabric site but didn't see anything.

        I looked for a while and didn't find anything other than medical
        products - which were rolls in widths of 2", 4", 6", etc. Nothing
        suitable for our purposes. JRB buys big huge rolls, so their supplier
        isn't really appropriate for our use, either.

        Best option I could find was to buy the Weather Shield and use it for
        fabric. I haven't done that because I don't want to worry about seams
        on top of my hammock bivy, and the WS isn't quite big enough to do
        that.

        Still interested in a few big sheets of it if you happen to find a
        better source.

        Jeff
      • Bill in Houston
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 30 10:23 AM
          JRB might sell you a few yards...

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jwj32542" <jwj32542@...>
          wrote:

          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Joe Federici <joefederici@>
          > wrote:
          > > The fabric that comes to mind is a
          > > microporous polypropylene like used on a few of the less
          expensive
          > rain
          > > suits. Does anyone know of a source to by it. I look on a few of
          the
          > > outdoor fabric site but didn't see anything.
          >
          > I looked for a while and didn't find anything other than medical
          > products - which were rolls in widths of 2", 4", 6", etc. Nothing
          > suitable for our purposes. JRB buys big huge rolls, so their
          supplier
          > isn't really appropriate for our use, either.
          >
          > Best option I could find was to buy the Weather Shield and use it
          for
          > fabric. I haven't done that because I don't want to worry about
          seams
          > on top of my hammock bivy, and the WS isn't quite big enough to do
          > that.
          >
          > Still interested in a few big sheets of it if you happen to find a
          > better source.
          >
          > Jeff

        • Joe Federici
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 30 1:06 PM
            How about other suitable fabrics? Epic Malibu By Nextec is light and
            breathable as well.

            JFF

            wrote:
            > The fabric that comes to mind is a
            > microporous polypropylene like used on a few of the less expensive
            rain
            > suits. Does anyone know of a source to by it. I look on a few of the
            > outdoor fabric site but didn't see anything.

            I looked for a while and didn't find anything other than medical
            products - which were rolls in widths of 2", 4", 6", etc.  Nothing
            suitable for our purposes.  JRB buys big huge rolls, so their supplier
            isn't really appropriate for our use, either.

            Best option I could find was to buy the Weather Shield and use it for
            fabric.  I haven't done that because I don't want to worry about seams
            on top of my hammock bivy, and the WS isn't quite big enough to do
            that.

            Still interested in a few big sheets of it if you happen to find a
            better source.

            Jeff

            Camping hammock
            Camping food
            Rv camping
            Gsi outdoors
            Happy camper
            Outdoors

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            ▪  Visit your group "hammockcamping" on the web.

            ▪  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

            ▪  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
            Service.

          • seuss910
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 30 9:50 PM
              OWF carries Duravent - the three layer microporous polypropylene used
              in FroggToggs. It's a bit heavier than the the 2 layer stuff used in
              DriDucks and that JRB uses for the weathershield.

              http://www.owfinc.com/Fabrics/NylonWoven/WaterresistBreathable.asp#Durav
              ent

              wrote:

              > Please excuse the cross post:
              >
              > I'm interested in making a windproof, water resistant and outer
              shield
              > for my quilt used on my hammock. The fabric that comes to mind is a
              > microporous polypropylene like used on a few of the less expensive
              rain
              > suits. Does anyone know of a source to by it. I look on a few of the
              > outdoor fabric site but didn't see anything.
              >
              > thanks
              >
              > Joe F

            • jwj32542
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 31 12:35 AM
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "seuss910" <wrv77@...> wrote:

                > OWF carries Duravent - the three layer microporous polypropylene
                used
                > in FroggToggs. It's a bit heavier than the the 2 layer stuff used in
                > DriDucks and that JRB uses for the weathershield.

                Looks like that stuff would work, and it's half the price of GoreTex,
                too. I wonder if the third layer would decrease breathability. Guess
                it would increase the water resistance, though.

                It bugs me that stuff like that is listed as "water resistant" just
                like normal DWR - I understand that it's only waterproof to certain
                pressures and all that technical stuff, but GoreTex and the like are
                suitable for rain gear, which makes them "waterproof enough"...it
                would sure be helpful if they listed it that way!

                Thanks for the link, seuss. I didn't realize Duravent was almost the
                same thing I was looking for...might have to rethink that hammock bivy
                now.

                Jeff
              • tanpuma
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 3, 2006
                  I saw this fabric at my local Joannes fabric store, it was in camo
                  color with the other camo fabrics. They sell online, however I do not
                  know if it was fully waterproof, looked pretty flimsy. People use it
                  to make blinds. THen again the suits they sell out of it are pretty
                  flimsy too.
                  Liam