Re: [Hammock Camping] masked invaders visit my hammock

  • David Wills
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 29, 2006
      > Great raccoon stories guys! Thanks!
      >
      > Tim, you are the second person I have heard referring to raccoons as
      > mini-bears. Risk refers to the bears as large raccons...<g>... I had
      > never thought of them as "cousins"; but, that's a great analogy.
      >
      > I have never had problems with raccoons getting into my pack; but the
      > %#$^% mice...! That's another story!
      >
      > Happy Trails,
      >
      > J.D.

      You could always go wild turkey on them and pour boiling water down
      their mouse holes beating them with hiking poles on their way out of
      the shelter... PETA would have a fit, but it would be some good eating.

      David with no trailname
    • tanpuma
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 3, 2006
        > > for a coon. now he understands why i sometimes refer to them as
        > > mini-bears.

        I have never had probs with bears but raccoons--yes. since we aren't
        in a tent, the raccoons are brave enough to skulk closer. One
        unzipped my dog's pack ( was hung in a tree but not suspended bear
        style) dragged it 30 feet away and ate a few pounds of kibble.
        How did I not hear? How did pup not hear all this?

        Yes, even when not in bear areas I now bear bag everything.

        At least he didn't eat a hole through the fabric.
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 4, 2006
          tanpuma <tanpuma@...> wrote:
          .. dragged it 30 feet away and ate a few pounds of kibble.
          How did I not hear? How did pup not hear all this?

          ***apparantly you where under the intoxicating influance of the hammock! as for the pup... mabey he was sleeping so soundly because you where.
          .
          At least he didn't eat a hole through the fabric.

          *** that reminds me... i need to make another belt pouch for snacks!!! ...tim

          tim garner