Re: [Hammock Camping] masked invaders visit my hammock

  • J.D. Hoessle
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 29, 2006
      > the guy w/ me was amased that the coon was strong enough to drag a
      > pack, even though it was near empty. i told him that was no problem
      > for a coon. now he understands why i sometimes refer to them as
      > mini-bears.

      Great raccoon stories guys! Thanks!

      Tim, you are the second person I have heard referring to raccoons as
      mini-bears. Risk refers to the bears as large raccons...<g>... I had
      never thought of them as "cousins"; but, that's a great analogy.

      I have never had problems with raccoons getting into my pack; but the
      %#$^% mice...! That's another story!

      Happy Trails,

      J.D.
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 29, 2006
        actualy JD, i`ve often refered to both racoons & mice as "minibears" when explaining to folks why it`s important to hang your food (or secure it in some way). we call it a "bear bag"' but in most often in nc, it`s more for the minibears than the full size ones :~}
        hey, rick talking about bears & racoons reminds me of a night in a shelter (standing indian) when a guy w/ me dreamed about a racoon climbing on the rafter above him.
        it fell w/ a THUD between us & when he tryed to push it away, it wouldn`t budge! it was then that he realized it was actualy a BEAR!!! he woke up calling "TIM...TIM..."

        "J.D. Hoessle" <JD@...> wrote:
        > the guy w/ me was amased that the coon was strong enough to drag a
        > pack, even though it was near empty. i told him that was no problem
        > for a coon. now he understands why i sometimes refer to them as
        > mini-bears.

        Great raccoon stories guys! Thanks!

        Tim, you are the second person I have heard referring to raccoons as
        mini-bears. Risk refers to the bears as large raccons...<g>... I had
        never thought of them as "cousins"; but, that's a great analogy.

        I have never had problems with raccoons getting into my pack; but the
        %#$^% mice...! That's another story!

        Happy Trails,

        J.D.

        tim garner

      • Ralph Oborn
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 29, 2006
          I have never had problems with raccoons getting into my pack; but the
          %#$^% mice...! That's another story!

          Happy Trails,

          J.D.

          In the bottom of the Grand Canyon at Phantom Ranch campground they have some
          tall pipe contraptions designed for hanging your pack (think of tall
          clothesline poles).

          They were too tall to use and get easy access to the top of my pack, so I
          threw a piece of cord over the pole, hung my pack at a convenient height and
          went exploring with my brother in law, leaving his exhausted brother
          (Bruce) napping on the picanic table.

          When we got back my pack was hung high again, to my puzzlement Bruce
          explained that he heard a rustling, woke up and a ring tailed cat was in my
          pack flipping my food out on the ground.

          Now I know why the poles were so high!!!
          Bruce chased them off, rehung my pack correctly and went back to sleep.

          Ralph

            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 29, 2006
              > Great raccoon stories guys! Thanks!
              >
              > Tim, you are the second person I have heard referring to raccoons as
              > mini-bears. Risk refers to the bears as large raccons...<g>... I had
              > never thought of them as "cousins"; but, that's a great analogy.
              >
              > I have never had problems with raccoons getting into my pack; but the
              > %#$^% mice...! That's another story!
              >
              > Happy Trails,
              >
              > J.D.

              You could always go wild turkey on them and pour boiling water down
              their mouse holes beating them with hiking poles on their way out of
              the shelter... PETA would have a fit, but it would be some good eating.

              David with no trailname
            • tanpuma
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 3 5:41 PM
                > > for a coon. now he understands why i sometimes refer to them as
                > > mini-bears.

                I have never had probs with bears but raccoons--yes. since we aren't
                in a tent, the raccoons are brave enough to skulk closer. One
                unzipped my dog's pack ( was hung in a tree but not suspended bear
                style) dragged it 30 feet away and ate a few pounds of kibble.
                How did I not hear? How did pup not hear all this?

                Yes, even when not in bear areas I now bear bag everything.

                At least he didn't eat a hole through the fabric.
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 4 7:31 PM
                  tanpuma <tanpuma@...> wrote:
                  .. dragged it 30 feet away and ate a few pounds of kibble.
                  How did I not hear? How did pup not hear all this?

                  ***apparantly you where under the intoxicating influance of the hammock! as for the pup... mabey he was sleeping so soundly because you where.
                  .
                  At least he didn't eat a hole through the fabric.

                  *** that reminds me... i need to make another belt pouch for snacks!!! ...tim

                  tim garner